Sign in with
Your question

setting up 2 computers to communicate 92 problems

Last response: in Networking
January 30, 2008 8:24:33 AM

hey good day,

1. I have 2 computers running xp service pack 2.. Both connected to a switch.they are in the same workgroup, file and print sharing enable. when i use static ip on them they connect to the network but can't see each other. wen i set default gateway. one pc sees both computers on the network but cannot access the second.. with a error message saying the the server is not available .. No root path found .. Even if i disable the windows firewalll completely i can't get access.
What can i do to fix this?

2. This is another way connect the 2 computers but is not working...1 system has internet access and i am trying to share it.. so i set both computers to get ip addresses etc automatically. only the computer with the internet is getting the addresses. the other computer cannot connect to the network. how can i fix this one also?

Thanks in advance.
January 30, 2008 8:26:59 AM

Sorry for the topic "92 problems".. It was jus suppose to be 2 problems.
January 31, 2008 10:12:10 PM

hey ... i narrowed the problem to the cable . i have a 3 ft cable from the switch to one pc and that pc is able to communicate . however i have a 50 ft cable from the switch to the other pc and this is the pc that is not connecting. . it is not the nic because i change around the connections and the second system worked with the 3 ft cable.. tonight i plan to put the switch in uplink mode and connect 2 switches with the long cable and then attempt to connect both pcs with shorter cables. i will post in my results tomorrow.. if anyone has other ideas that may work.. could let me know...

Thanks
February 8, 2008 1:47:32 PM

Pc > Switch should be a normal patch cable

Switch > Switch should be a crossover cable (this isn't usually needed as most modern switches do the crossover for you)

PC > PC should be a crossover cable.

Cat5e should be fine up to a distance of 100 metres
!