Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme Mounting

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I was wondering if anyone has encountered any mounting issues with Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme and the EVGA 680i A1 revision board? I have read on the EVGA forums that some people have had to modify the back plate others say you can just mount right up. I am wanting to know ahead of time I should receive it on Monday. I was disappointed to find that i could not mount my Vigor Monsoon II to it. I would have had to completely modify the back plate beyond what I was willing too. I hope this cooler is as good as people say it. But sorry back to topic anyone that happens to have this setup plz let me know if you ran into any kind of problems with installation or if anything needs to be modified to fit it properly.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
i know nothing of your motherboard, but I had to cut out a piece of a anti static bag and put it on the mounting bracket on the back of the mobo. I was getting a short from it.

Doctahg

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
I had no trouble mounting mine...the trouble was the cooler didn't live up to expectations..either of them...

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I have only been actively using mine for about 2weeks, and I am sorting to fell the same.

My TAT on load is 47c, with my e6300 OC'd to 3.01 and vcore is at 1.19375

Doctahg

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
To be fair, I was using mine on a QX6700...ridiculous temps at OC. Even at stock it wasn't great. I am using an E6600 with an Enzotech 120 Extreme, and temps are no higher than 52 at load at 3.6, although i run at 3.48. I never thried the TR on the E6600 because I need a new pad for the mounting plate. It also needs to be lapped badly...this is #2 for the TR. I may practice lapping on it and try it again when I change cases. But my temps are nice now, saving 3-4 degrees won't matter.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Right, both the Ultra-120 Extreme and the IHS on your C2Q need to be lapped. Both surfaces are not uniform from the factory and depending on just how bad they are, you could be in a situation where the HS is convex, and the chip is convex... or worse, the HS is convex, and the chip has a bludge on one side of it's IHS. Lapping just literally levels the playing field.

As you know, Quads put out an unholy amount of heat; you're essentially asking the HS to cool down two o/c'ed E6600s.

gonesouth

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2007
I have yet another problem with mounting the ultra 120 extreme on a Gigabyte 965P-ds3 MB. I searched al;l forums and apparently I am the only one that had this problem. Computer would not boot when backplate firmly screwed down to stops. After much expermentation, I found that the sticky stuff that acts as both a insulator to the cpu socket solder bumps on the back of the MB ( and adhessive to hold the backplate to the MB before mounting HSF) was shorting out. The solution was to find nylon washers to slightly raise the backplate from the back of the MB and not allow the backplate to compress the gooey stuff on the backplate to allow penetration of the cpu socket solderbumps to short to the backplate. I guess I was lucky that the shorting did not destroy any of the components. :D