Request: How to show the shutdown icons instead of drop-do..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I just done a re-install of XP SP2. What's diferent is when I select
"Turn off computer", it no longer displays a row of icons with
choices like "standby, turn off, restart".

Instead it display the old-style Windows 98 drop-down style menu with
these choices.

Can anyone please tell me how to get the icons back instead.

I wonder if installing Microsoft NET Framework had something to do
with it?
5 answers Last reply
More about request show shutdown icons drop
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    notme wrote:
    > I just done a re-install of XP SP2. What's diferent is when
    > I select "Turn off computer", it no longer displays a row of
    > icons with choices like "standby, turn off, restart".
    >
    > Instead it display the old-style Windows 98 drop-down style
    > menu with these choices.
    >
    > Can anyone please tell me how to get the icons back instead.
    >
    > I wonder if installing Microsoft NET Framework had something
    > to do with it?

    Go to Control Panel and click on User Accounts.
    Click on "Change the way users log or off".
    Put a check mark next to "Use the Welcome Screen".
    You can also check "Use Fast User Switching" if you want.
    Click Apply Options.
    Close User Accounts.
    See what happens when you select "Turn off computer".

    Note: Installing the .Net framework also disables autologon.
    If you want to restore that feature do the following:

    Go to Start -> Run.
    Copy and paste the following into the Open box:

    control userpasswords2

    Click OK.
    Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer".
    In the box that pops up, replace Administrator in the "User
    Name" box with your user account. Enter your password twice.
    Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account does
    not have a password.
    Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
    results.

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:26:05 -0400, "Nepatsfan"
    >Go to Control Panel and click on User Accounts.
    >Click on "Change the way users log or off".
    >Put a check mark next to "Use the Welcome Screen".
    >You can also check "Use Fast User Switching" if you want.
    >Click Apply Options.
    >Close User Accounts.
    >See what happens when you select "Turn off computer".

    Thanks so much Nepatsfan. Your suggetion worked and I do appreciate
    you taking the time to reply to my query. Good luck to you.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    notme wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:26:05 -0400, "Nepatsfan"
    >> Go to Control Panel and click on User Accounts.
    >> Click on "Change the way users log or off".
    >> Put a check mark next to "Use the Welcome Screen".
    >> You can also check "Use Fast User Switching" if you want.
    >> Click Apply Options.
    >> Close User Accounts.
    >> See what happens when you select "Turn off computer".
    >
    > Thanks so much Nepatsfan. Your suggetion worked and I do
    > appreciate you taking the time to reply to my query. Good
    > luck to you.

    You're welcome.

    Nepatsfan
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I'm getting numerous ActiveX errors when I open Word 2003. Has anyone
    ever used PC Rescue or another such program to fix such errors?

    http://www.healthycomputerclub.com/Software/PCRescue/

    or:

    http://www.pcpowerscan.com/index.html?2111&source=goog&keyword=pc%20rescue

    I get the following, among other things:

    "This application is about to initialize ActiveX controls that might be
    unsafe. If you trust the source of this document, select Yes and the
    control will be initialized using your document settings."
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:34:21 GMT, GK wrote:

    > I'm getting numerous ActiveX errors when I open Word 2003. Has anyone
    > ever used PC Rescue or another such program to fix such errors?
    >
    > http://www.healthycomputerclub.com/Software/PCRescue/
    >
    > or:
    >
    > http://www.pcpowerscan.com/index.html?2111&source=goog&keyword=pc%20rescue
    >
    > I get the following, among other things:
    >
    > "This application is about to initialize ActiveX controls that might be
    > unsafe. If you trust the source of this document, select Yes and the
    > control will be initialized using your document settings."

    I steer clear of general "fix it" programs. Not that there aren't good ones
    out there but find most problems can be fixed without extra software.

    Word 2003 is not an ActiveX application on its own so doubt the error
    message is related to the main program. However when you open the program,
    it launches a blank document ready for use. That first blank document is
    based on the current document template in use. By default this template is
    defined by the normal.dot file.

    Don't know if you've intentionally customized this file so will recommend
    closing Word and then locating and renaming the current normal.dot file. In
    Windows XP this file resides in:
    ..\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\

    Relaunch Word and a new normal.dot file will be created and used. You
    should not see the ActiveX error.

    If no luck with this, recommend reposting this problem in one of the MS
    Word newsgroups:
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx


    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Ask a new question

Read More

Microsoft Icons Windows XP