Sign in with
Your question

Third party serial ports

Last response: in Windows XP
October 28, 2009 2:34:58 AM

I have recently purchased a new intel DP55KG motherboard to assemble a new desktop. One of my peripherals is an external modem
but the motherboard does not have a serial port. Anyone have any info on compatible pci serial port cards or USB serial ports.

More about : party serial ports

October 28, 2009 12:10:12 PM

Your seriously still using a serial port modem? For what?
There are usb to serail port adapters out there. I have a keyspan adapter that I use a work for an old telephone system.
m
l
November 6, 2009 1:01:53 AM

sturm said:
Your seriously still using a serial port modem? For what?
There are usb to serail port adapters out there. I have a keyspan adapter that I use a work for an old telephone system.

I hear what you're saying. Unfortunately I am forced to use the serial port modem because the medical software we use in our office requires an antiquated modem for bill submissions. If I could chuck it out the window, I would.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 6, 2009 10:03:04 AM

I use Rosewill PCI serial port cards from Newegg. Don't use the USB to serial adapters.
m
l
November 6, 2009 3:57:26 PM

Lava is also a good choice for serial port cards. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of DOS-based software out there in the medical community... so if the modem doesn't have DOS support, you're out of luck. Serial port external modems are usually guaranteed to work with DOS-based software. You still can find hardware-based internal modems as well that have their own COM port... but I haven't had the chance to see how well they work with DOS.
m
l
!