Samsung DLP TV: P5085

Had this set just over a week now, and am blown away by how good it is,
especially on SD signals received by satellite!

But now is the time to fix a few irksome problems, and guess what ... a
bricj wall.

The display has pronounced pinchushion distortion (verticals bowing in
towards the centre) which is naturally problematic on the 4:3 images.

And while it overscans a little, (almost up to the safe action area), the
image is misses the right hand side, and actually cuts off the safe action
line (Video Essentials test chart).

I thought this would be easy to fix, but yesterday the repair guy came out:
took one look, and told me he could fix neither problem! He went through the
remote to access the factory adjustments, (anyone know the codes to get
there?) , patiently flipped through each one, and decided there was no
adjustment.

I got a call just now from the repair company who had by now been in contact
with Samsung, and were told...No way to adjust, and despite the problems,
the set was within specs. Bye Bye.

Well Mr. Samsung, bugger that! Every cheap computer monitor has a way to
correct pinchusioning, and while this set is not a computer monitor, it is
digital!

Any similar experiences, advice, commiserations????
7 answers Last reply
More about samsung p5085

    I've heard of several reports of Samsung saying "within specs, thanks
    for your purchase"..

    To problems that were bad enough for customers to complain about. And
    pincushion and horizontal line distortion seem to be in a lot of complaints.

    --
    Ric Seyler

    Roy Smith wrote:
    > Had this set just over a week now, and am blown away by how good it is,
    > especially on SD signals received by satellite!
    >
    > But now is the time to fix a few irksome problems, and guess what ... a
    > bricj wall.
    >
    > The display has pronounced pinchushion distortion (verticals bowing in
    > towards the centre) which is naturally problematic on the 4:3 images.
    >
    > And while it overscans a little, (almost up to the safe action area), the
    > image is misses the right hand side, and actually cuts off the safe action
    > line (Video Essentials test chart).
    >
    > I thought this would be easy to fix, but yesterday the repair guy came out:
    > took one look, and told me he could fix neither problem! He went through the
    > remote to access the factory adjustments, (anyone know the codes to get
    > there?) , patiently flipped through each one, and decided there was no
    > adjustment.
    >
    > I got a call just now from the repair company who had by now been in contact
    > with Samsung, and were told...No way to adjust, and despite the problems,
    > the set was within specs. Bye Bye.
    >
    > Well Mr. Samsung, bugger that! Every cheap computer monitor has a way to
    > correct pinchusioning, and while this set is not a computer monitor, it is
    > digital!
    >
    > Any similar experiences, advice, commiserations????

    The problem is that it _is_ a digital display where computer monitors
    (CRT) are analog. There is no way to electronically adjust overscan on
    microdisplay projectors. It would take modifications of the optical path
    to change overscan.

    Direct view fixed pixel displays shouldn't have this problem unless the
    scalars are programmed to provide overscan. Direct view CRT and CRT
    RPTVs suffer from overscan, but do have adjustments for height and
    width, so that sometimes they can be improved.

    --
    Matthew

    Which one do you want?

    Roy Smith (someone@microsoft.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > And while it overscans a little, (almost up to the safe action area),

    This is not "a little" overscan on an HDTV. "Safe action" is well over 5%
    overscan. There's no reason that a fixed-pixel HDTV can't have zero overscan,
    especially with HD sources.

    You can get away with as little as 2% overscan on upconverted SD material,
    if the TV does the upconverting.

    The only problems I have had running with 2-3% overscan is the local CBS
    HDTV station when it upconverts...you can see the closed caption data lines
    at the top of the set. This is because they are doing the upconvert wrong
    and "non-picture" lines from the NTSC end up within the 1080 display lines
    on HDTV.

    --
    Jeff Rife |

    Jeff Rife wrote:

    > The only problems I have had running with 2-3% overscan is the local CBS
    > HDTV station when it upconverts...you can see the closed caption data lines
    > at the top of the set. This is because they are doing the upconvert wrong
    > and "non-picture" lines from the NTSC end up within the 1080 display lines
    > on HDTV.

    Can you see the switching signals on the Weather Channel? It appears
    they stole a few more lines to control local inserts at the cable
    companies' head ends. I reduced my analog set's overscan until that was
    visible, then moved the whole image up until it disappeared.

    --
    Matthew

    Which one do you want?

    Matthew L. Martin (nothere@notnow.never) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    > Can you see the switching signals on the Weather Channel?

    Nope. Even with just 2% overscan on top, it takes a *lot* of lines before
    anything "non-picture" becomes visible. That's 10 scan lines on 480i and
    22 on 1080i.

    > It appears
    > they stole a few more lines to control local inserts at the cable
    > companies' head ends.

    NBC uses line 1080 on their HDTV feed to stations for this. The white
    switching signals never occur during a program, so it isn't a problem,
    and even if it did, there are very few sets with absolutely zero overscan.
    My HDTV capture card and editing software allow me to see the data.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Zits/Merging.jpg

    I had the same problem with my Mitsubishi WD-62725 DLP. The upward bow in
    the bottom right corner was so bad I couldn't stand to watch ESPN, or CNNHN,
    or anything with a line across the bottom. They adjusted the set but made it
    worse and tried to give me the same story - as long as you can't see the
    edge of the picture - it's "within specification"!! I used the menus to
    adjust the picture location but the amount of overscan that is hidden by the
    edge of the cabinet is such that you'd have to have anything on the top of
    the screen completely hidden before the pincushion problem would cause the
    edge of the picture to be viewable at the bottom.

    I eventually raise enough hell with the managers at the retailer that they
    agreed to let me open up a different one in the store and, after I adjusted
    it I found the pincushion to be nearly non-existent and acceptable so I took
    that set and have been happy with it since. I'd suggest you take the same
    tact, make them look at the other sets in the store and if those don't have
    the problem they do a swap for you.

    BTW - there is a whole thread for this problem with the Mits. units on
    AVSForum but this is the first time I've heard of the Sammy having the
    issue.

    Good luck!!

    "Roy Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Had this set just over a week now, and am blown away by how good it is,
    > especially on SD signals received by satellite!
    >
    > But now is the time to fix a few irksome problems, and guess what ... a
    > bricj wall.
    >
    > The display has pronounced pinchushion distortion (verticals bowing in
    > towards the centre) which is naturally problematic on the 4:3 images.
    >
    > And while it overscans a little, (almost up to the safe action area), the
    > image is misses the right hand side, and actually cuts off the safe action
    > line (Video Essentials test chart).
    >
    > I thought this would be easy to fix, but yesterday the repair guy came
    out:
    > took one look, and told me he could fix neither problem! He went through
    the
    > remote to access the factory adjustments, (anyone know the codes to get
    > there?) , patiently flipped through each one, and decided there was no
    > adjustment.
    >
    > I got a call just now from the repair company who had by now been in
    contact
    > with Samsung, and were told...No way to adjust, and despite the problems,
    > the set was within specs. Bye Bye.
    >
    > Well Mr. Samsung, bugger that! Every cheap computer monitor has a way to
    > correct pinchusioning, and while this set is not a computer monitor, it is
    > digital!
    >
    > Any similar experiences, advice, commiserations????

    "Roy Smith" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Had this set just over a week now, and am blown away by how good it is,
    > especially on SD signals received by satellite!
    >
    > But now is the time to fix a few irksome problems, and guess what ... a
    > bricj wall.
    >
    > The display has pronounced pinchushion distortion (verticals bowing in
    > towards the centre) which is naturally problematic on the 4:3 images.
    >
    > And while it overscans a little, (almost up to the safe action area), the
    > image is misses the right hand side, and actually cuts off the safe action
    > line (Video Essentials test chart).
    >
    > I thought this would be easy to fix, but yesterday the repair guy came
    > out: took one look, and told me he could fix neither problem! He went
    > through the remote to access the factory adjustments, (anyone know the
    > codes to get there?) , patiently flipped through each one, and decided
    > there was no adjustment.
    >
    > I got a call just now from the repair company who had by now been in
    > contact with Samsung, and were told...No way to adjust, and despite the
    > problems, the set was within specs. Bye Bye.
    >
    > Well Mr. Samsung, bugger that! Every cheap computer monitor has a way to
    > correct pinchusioning, and while this set is not a computer monitor, it is
    > digital!
    >
    > Any similar experiences, advice, commiserations????
    There is no adjustment for pincusion on the Samsung DLP. I have never seen
    one that is not perfect. Position, tilt and overscan yes, that's
    adjustable from the service menu or mechanically by moving the DMD module.

    Didn't the service guy turn on one of the "service menu" display screens
    that displays a grid pattern. That should have been near perfect with 1/2
    line (3pixel) at most tilt. That's the worst I've ever left a set.

HDTV TV Home Theatre