Sign in with
Your question

OMG too Hot

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 22, 2007 11:46:07 AM

Just like to say great site, I found it under the “Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide” from CompuTronix great stuff.

And to the point, wondering if anyone can tell me where I’m going wrong: 1st my specs.

System:
MS Windows XP pro
Version 2002
Service pack 2
(vista transformation pack, MR X)

Intel Core2Duo 6420 @2.13 (standard Intel box fan cooler)
2GB DDR400 (2x1GB)
ASUS P5PE-VM (socket775)
Intel 865G chipset
Club 3D Geforce FX5200 256MB (passive cooling, cool block)
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

72 Gb 10.000Rpm WD raptor (OS)
500GB 7.200 Rpm WD

My case has in total four extra ventilation fans:
One in the front blowing in over my harddrives
One in the roof blowing cool air down
And two at the back blowing out.

Idle temps with speed fan:
HDO = 30-35
HD1 = 30-35
AUX = 40 -45
SYS = 38 -43
CPU = 38 -43
COR = 40-45
CO2 = 40-45

In accordance with CompuTronixs guide this is already strange with the Tcase and Tjunction only having a 2c difference when idle…
And now the scary part, with intels TAT on 100%load after only 30 seconds to one minute:

CPU O 77c Frequency: 2128
CPU 1 80c Frequency: 2128

Speed fan with TAT:
CPU 67 -70
CORE0 same as TAT
CORE1 same “ “ “ “

AUX + 5 - 10c from normal
SYS small rise
HDD's small rise if at all.

If I leave it just a few more seconds they both climb over the 80’s at which point I stop TAT. OMG…

After reading CompuTronixs guide intensively I added the roof fan, and bought a tube of Arctic Silver 5 High Density silver thermal compound added it and remounted my fan. What has had hardly no affect at all.
The only thing to do now is flash my bios but I do not have any experience in this and if I’m honest am scared that I will destroy my system. Could my Bios have such a dramatic affect on my readings?

Anyway, any help or advise gratefully received I have really tried everything in my power to solve this before coming and posting this!

Hopefully
Cracks2

More about : omg hot

June 22, 2007 1:10:11 PM

It's got to be your cooler man.

I've heard some people had problems with the stock cooler not making good contact with the chip even when all four push pins were seated correctly.

At 80c I would see about getting a good third party heat sink and putting it in there.
June 22, 2007 1:33:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking the same! I am now looking for a better fan, one that also points to the back to maybe will also increase a better airflow…

But still would anybody know if flashing my bios could have a dramatic affect on my results???

Cheers
Related resources
June 22, 2007 1:49:12 PM

1. Try reseating your heatsink using new thermal paste.
2. Turn off heatsink fan speed control in the bios so that it runs at 100% all the time. (You can try using Speedfan later to control it if this was the problem)
June 22, 2007 2:29:49 PM

1. Try reseating your heatsink using new thermal paste.
2. Turn off heatsink fan speed control in the bios so that it runs at 100% all the time. (You can try using Speedfan later to control it if this was the problem)

1: done, using guide at Arcticsilver.com
2: done,

Just tried TAT again reached 83c on Core0 and pulled the plug...
I have got a noticeable lower Idle temp with the improved less is more approach on the thermal compound… lower by 3 to 5c. :) 

But still no improvement in TAT :?
June 22, 2007 2:41:34 PM

Check your core voltage. Your motherboard may giving it too much voltage by default. It should be at 1.325V.
June 22, 2007 2:59:39 PM

YES, its too high its fluctuating from

1.392 to 1.408v (VCORE Voltage)

I cant find any obvious way to change or control this in the Bios or the manual from my board any advise and is this safe???

Cheers
June 22, 2007 3:12:30 PM

Hot air rises upwards to the top of your case. The fan in your roof should be pulling the hot air out of the case.

If its blowing downwards you are blowing the rising hot air back down over the mobo & other bits.
June 22, 2007 3:17:34 PM

Make sure you have the newest bios. According to the Asus website, bios 1402 adds support for your processor. With the correct bios, it will probably give it the correct voltage.
June 22, 2007 3:20:37 PM

That’s a bloody good point… :? dam it man, after an half a day sawing the hole spraying it and fixing it in I was happy it was bloody ready! Ill try.

Thanks man!

And to OrangeGator, thanks man.

i guess i am going to have to update my Bios. :oops: 

I don’t like the idea but if it works and doesn’t destroy my system it will be worth it, I’m going to read up on this. Ill inform you of my results. It will probably take me a while because I’m not going to rush into it.

Thanks all you guys for the help!!!!!!!

The roof fan now blows out… no big changes although the AUX and SYS temps do seem to be more stable on the cooler side. Dohh sometimes you cant see the trees for the forest :D 
June 22, 2007 4:08:01 PM

Quote:
Make sure you have the newest bios. According to the Asus website, bios 1402 adds support for your processor. With the correct bios, it will probably give it the correct voltage.

Nice catch Gator :trophy:
June 24, 2007 1:52:48 PM

Okay, I just flashed my Bios to the new 1402 version using the ASUS update in windows environment. It was not as difficult as I was thinking.

After first reboot I restarted my computer and entered the Bios. I checked the version and it was correctly updated. Version 1402

I then went to power but there is absolute no difference in VCORE voltage. Its still fluctuating from:

1.392v >>> 1.408v

Now I checked by Intel and strangely only by my specific model of CPU there’s no recommended VCORE voltage.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4T

But in the model above and below it recommended at: 0.850V-1.3525V

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9S9

when I’m in my Bios and go to my VCOREv and press enter I have two options:

Ignore
1.400v

I cannot manually change the 1.400v with the -+ options in the Bios.
I really don’t get it, with TAT after 30 seconds I’m still reaching over +80c on both cores.
And with remounting my fan with a better approach to the thermal compound and re-fixing my roof fan to blow out I have a lower CPU/CPU0/CPU1 temperature by 5c.

Idle speedfan temps are now as low as:

CPU: 33 – 38c
CORE0: 35 – 40c
CORE1: 35 – 40c

Which means I have a +40c core increase with 100% load???

I don’t think buying a new CPU fan is the answer because it seems like my VCORE voltage is too high…

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can improve this?

Thanks again!
June 24, 2007 3:28:03 PM

You'd better get a hold of ASUS tech support. I went through the manual too and you have no manual V-core options. Over-volting this CPU for no good reason is not a good idea. An RMA might be in order. :( 
June 24, 2007 3:40:41 PM

Well I probably am going to get in contact with ASUS tech support but am not just yet going down the RMA road as this board has specific “core2duo” capable logo and can go to a much lower/higher clock speed than I have….
There are also numerous posts in the ASUS forum where people are using Core2duo and my board without these problems.

Thanks anyway for the post.

I am still grateful for any more suggestions for another solution for my problem… you never know!

I’m really confused as my CPU is defiantly supported by the board:

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us
June 24, 2007 5:16:01 PM

Your mb definitely supports this CPU and it should be feeding it 1.32v. I suspect a V-reg problem. look at the good side though: You could always just plop the case on it's side, stick a 3 X 4' slab of steel on it, and post a sign out front saying, "Cracks-2-Grille". Cheeseburger, cheeseburger! :lol: 
June 24, 2007 8:44:41 PM

LOL… if only I could laugh.

Well I have just discovered the ASUS PC probe 2, during the installation I received a summary of my system and specs. According to this my CPU has a threshold of up to 1.4v.
This could just be possible considering the page by Intel has mysteriously go nothing under my specific CPUs recommended core voltage.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLA4T

If I look at almost exactly the same model the recommend core voltage is 1.225V-1.325V with the only difference being 2MB lower L2 Cache. But still maybe its possible.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9T9

Now with the ASUS probe I can see my Vcore voltage without being in the bios and the results are much better.

Its got an idle voltage of around 1.26 which jumps regularly to the so named stable voltage of 1.32 and only very occasionally jumps up to 1.4 with the highest I saw with TAT being 1.44 but only for a second or so. But even at this voltage I it’s still showing the status: OK

So this doesn’t seem to be my problem, and considering i have the most up tp date bios and my Idle temps seems to be fine and the fact I only come into problems on 100% load in TAT I can only come to one conclusion what was actually the very first post of advise:

Buy a third party CPU fan…. And with my max RPM being only 1739 I guess it’s what I’m going to do.

Well ill defiantly post back with my results. I cant really complain I’ve learnt a hell of a lot over the past week.

Thanks for taking the time to help all you guys and keep up the good work!!!

Regards
Cracks2
June 24, 2007 9:56:14 PM

A quick an easy way to check if your heatsink is seated properly. Run TAT, let the temp get up to 80 celcius. If you can still touch your heatsink and I'm betting you can then your heatsink is not properly seated.

I'm betting your heatsink is cool to touch with the core at 80 celcius. Another test you can do. Don't push the pins into the motherboard just set the heatsink down on the processor heatspreader. Wiggle it around to make sure it is seated. Then start up your system. Check temperatures. They should be the same as what you have previously seen while at idle.

Then pump up the work load. Even if the heatsink is just sitting on the processor with no preload from the stake pins you should not go much over 46 celcius.

And no it won't hurt your processor. If you do reach a thermal spec the system will automatically shutdown if it exceeds the max temperature for the core. If it rises slowly enough the processor will start issuing stop clocks to prevent reaching a thermal limit.
June 25, 2007 7:23:10 AM

I just went through a lot of the same problems with my setup. Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz with an Asus board.

To change the VCore, see if you have an over clocking tab in the Bios. You can change your voltage from there.

Also, make sure you did not put too much thermal compound on the cpu. I went to the Arctic Silver website. You can find the link on your tube of compound. It specifically shows how to apply the compound to each kind of cpu. For a Core 2 Duo, you are supposed to apply a very small line down the middle of the chip. I got a few degrees of cooldown just from cleaning and reapplying less. Your heatsink will also feel warmer.

Good luck.
!