Blocked Programs?

cwr64

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I'm running the current XP-Pro with all updates, current free Avast AV, and current free Online Armor firewall. Recently I've begun getting pop-ups at boot time from Online Armor telling me that it was blocking unknown programs (mostly programs that are part of Windows, 1 of them was an NVIDIA program), and asking me if Online Armor should block the programs, or allow them to run. I've looked up the various filenames mentioned (most of them .dll or .sys), and on the web it looks like all of them have been valid MS programs, so I've replied to Online Armor to allow them to run. When I just now rebooted, I got another pop-up from Online Armor asking whether to allow fldrclnr.dll to run, and also got a Windows pop-up saying that I had received a "set hook error" - on SQ931STI whatever that is.

Any idea what is going on here?

Thanks!

cwr64

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
OK
I ran a full Avast AV scan, rebooted in safe mode & downloaded/installed/ran Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes found no hits except for the Adware.MyWebSearch stuff that I have always had installed so that my wife can use their "Smiley Faces". So nothing new there. Also, I have not changed the security level of my Online Armor firewall since the day it was installed, so nothing new there either.

But fyi, when rebooting normally after the safeboot scans I did again get the Windows pop-up saying "SQ931STI Set Hook error (0x000000006,0x0012fce8,0x008b4f98)!" error message again.
I don't think I got that message when booting into safe mode.

Any other ideas?

cwr64

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
There are 2 entries on my PC for that module -
SQ931STI.dll
SQ931STI.exe
both are located in the C:\WINDOWS directory.
My Online Armor shows it as "allowed" and it's called a Snap Trap MFC application, whatever that is.

cwr64

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

I happened this morning to run MSCONFIG and on the startup stuff noticed an entry for that SQ931STI module. It was the 1st entry in the startup list. I unchecked that entry and rebooted a couple of times and did not get get the sethook error message again. I don't know what added that entry to the startup list.