Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Multiple Simultaneous Network Connections...

Tags:
  • Wireless Network
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
February 1, 2008 9:24:40 AM

Apologies if a similar thread has been posted before, but here goes.

At my workplace, I am currently involved in a project with a "sputnik" robot, which is basically a wireless network card, with wheels. In order to operate the robot, I have created a small wireless network with a D-Link Wireless router. Because of the nature of the robot, it is necessary for this network to use statically assigned IP Addresses. The software used in order to operate the robot is currently loaded onto a laptop, obviously with wireless capability. This laptop is currently not on the standard network at my workplace.

It has just been requested that I enable the robot to be driven remotely. At my workplace, we have a nice bit of kit called "sonicwall" - basically allows you to create a VPN, allowing you access to the computers on the network at work. You need to leave the computer you wish to use logged on. Therefore, in order to use this, I need to be connected to my workplace network. This is no problem, and has been set up before.

The problem I am having is the workplace network uses DHCP to assign network addresses. It is vital that the robot's wireless network uses static IP addresses. When connecting the laptop to the work network before, I have had real problems getting it to connect to the wireless network at the same time.

We are currently opering on Windows XP Professional, which I am sure will allow Multiple Simultaneous Network Connections - but I can't figure out how it works! I am one of the IT Technicians at my workplace, and have taken this project over - and I've been told it worked before using both connections.

Any ideas?

More about : multiple simultaneous network connections

February 1, 2008 2:16:34 PM

Are you trying to connect to two wireless networks w/ a single card? That will not work. You can, however, hardwire your self into your work network and then connect to the wireless network that is used w/ the robot.

One reason you may be having trouble is if they both use the same addressing scheme. (Ex. Work uses 192.168.1.x scheme means that your router cannot use the same 192.168.1.x scheme. It has to be 192.168.2.x or something similar.) Otherwise you're going to run into a lot of problems. Just ensure they are not on the same addressing scheme and then you should be fine.

Also, let me get this straight:

Robot connects to > Router and that's it, right?

Laptop connects to > Router & Work Network, right?

February 4, 2008 12:19:47 PM

Yep, that's right. The laptop is hardwired into the work network, so only one wireless network is being used.

I'll have a look at the addressing schemes, and see what the settings are....I know it's definitely possible for this laptop (despite it's age and general scruffyness) to connect to both a wired, and wireless network at the same time. We have several other wireless networks around the building, and it doesn't have a problem with those at all. Just the one I want it to connect to. Typical!

Thanks for the advice.