Getting nervous, what do you think?

infumed

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Well, I started up my own little at home business/service.

I called it Meyers Custom Build Service!

Slogan is We Suggest! You Buy! We Build!

I charge a $60 service fee, and get paid another $25 for installing the Operating System.

When Suggesting the build I don't include the monitor, and I tell them a monitor is not included in the build service and must be bought separately.

I'm about to print 250 business cards, 5 mouse pads, and 140 return address labels that I edited to where I can instead put them on the side of the computers I build, heres a screen shot of what I'm ordering.

I just want you're guys opinion before forking out this money. Just a little nervous thats all. I already got a couple of guys at work that I'm going to be building a computer for in the upcoming weeks.

Screen Shot: http://gyazo.com/8dab270773be4b677d43f353ccd809ae

I guess I'm just a little worried that's all. I know my service won't be booming with customers, thats why I didn't put a number on the return labels. Cause I know they will last a long time because There's no where I'm going to be making 140 computers in 2 years lol. This is more of a Hobby/Learning experince for me before I go to college for computer engineering.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

First off - the very best of luck with it. I've worked for myself since 1979 and wouldn't have had it any other way. That said, it's not plain sailing and you'll always be nervous if the phone doesn't ring - wil it every ring again? You pay for your holidays twice - once by losing the work that pays for it and the other time by paying for it. Don't even think about being ill.

I could go on but I don't want to put you off. All I know is every time I've started something else, like my current PC fixing busines back in 2002, I had to make sure I could make it through six months with no customers at all if that was to turn out to be the worst-case scenario. Paying out for advertising media is a necessity but keep it to a minimum and use a rifle to target the customer base - it hits more people than a shotgun. :D

Your $60 equates to my £40 an hour but some of those hours can stretch to a day if you get a sticky beggare that won't leave the bench. OK, that applies more to fixing than building, which should be more straight-forward but I have to put a damper on that side. Are there people out there who want them built? Look at the number of gaming folks who come to Tom's to check out their build specs - do those people want to pay to have their box put together or do they prefer to do it themselves?

Sorry to show the bleaker side but it's reality and you might benefit from thinking over some of it.

I'm 65 now and have only ever worked for myself after sixteen years of Naval service. You may be a lot younger and have your own reasons for woing it alone - it's a great life really because you depend on no-one but yourself and that makes you very dependable but it also draws people to depend on you.

Again - lots of luck with it.