Q4 Trailer -

On 5/18/2005 7:18 AM Miss Understanding brightened our day with:

>For those interested, the Q4 Trailer is posted as a torrent file here -
>
>http://w2.isohunt.com/latest.php?mode=bt
>
>Approx 54mb WMV file - get it ASAP while the torrent is still highly active.

So you play a renegade Strogg in Quake IV? Or a Strogg/Human infiltrator?
It looks pretty cool, I can't put my finger on it but everything looks a
little phony for some reason. It's not that plastic look that Doom 3
and Far Cry exhibit on occasion, it's more like everything has a ceramic
cast to it.

--
The Official God FAQ: http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

Inglo wrote:

> So you play a renegade Strogg in Quake IV? Or a Strogg/Human infiltrator?

SPOILERS

No, Strogg technology is based on assimilating humans (like we saw part
of in Quake II). You get captured and partially converted to a Strogg
before escaping, and then continue the fight against the Strogg. (This
is from the _CGW_ preview -- I'm surprised the trailer let it be known
that you become Strogg-like at all; the _CGW_ article implied that it
was a big, secret plot twist.)

> It looks pretty cool, I can't put my finger on it but everything looks a
> little phony for some reason. It's not that plastic look that Doom 3
> and Far Cry exhibit on occasion, it's more like everything has a ceramic
> cast to it.

The weird thing I found about the trailer is that many of the scenes
have very strong blue lightining, which makes it look like the humans
have blue skin and blue blood, and makes it look kind of artificial.
Maybe that's what you're referring to?

--
Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
Love is, above all, the gift of oneself.

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 5/18/2005 7:18 AM Miss Understanding brightened our day with:
>
>> For those interested, the Q4 Trailer is posted as a torrent file
>> here - http://w2.isohunt.com/latest.php?mode=bt
>>
>> Approx 54mb WMV file - get it ASAP while the torrent is still highly
>> active.
> So you play a renegade Strogg in Quake IV? Or a Strogg/Human
> infiltrator? It looks pretty cool, I can't put my finger on it but
> everything looks a little phony for some reason. It's not that
> plastic look that Doom 3 and Far Cry exhibit on occasion, it's more
> like everything has a
> ceramic cast to it.

You sure you got your shaders cranked up Steve? The most realistic
model textures I've seen yet are in Far Cry, HL2 and Doom3. There is
stuff I never saw at all until I ran it on the 6800/6800GT. Don't you
get that going from 9800 PRo to 6800?
I recall there was something about CONTRAST having a huge effect on the
appearance of every texture running shader 2.0 or higher maps. If the
Contrast wasn't set in a somewhat narrower range, things do look like
that...kinda 'flattish' textured. Sound close? I just had to balance
that out in Riddick:EFBB
McG.

On 5/20/2005 11:29 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>

>>On 5/18/2005 7:18 AM Miss Understanding brightened our day with:
>>

>>>For those interested, the Q4 Trailer is posted as a torrent file
>>>here - http://w2.isohunt.com/latest.php?mode=bt
>>>
>>>Approx 54mb WMV file - get it ASAP while the torrent is still highly
>>>active.
>>>

>>So you play a renegade Strogg in Quake IV? Or a Strogg/Human
>>infiltrator? It looks pretty cool, I can't put my finger on it but
>>everything looks a little phony for some reason. It's not that
>>plastic look that Doom 3 and Far Cry exhibit on occasion, it's more
>>like everything has a
>>ceramic cast to it.
>>

>You sure you got your shaders cranked up Steve? The most realistic
>model textures I've seen yet are in Far Cry, HL2 and Doom3. There is
>stuff I never saw at all until I ran it on the 6800/6800GT. Don't you
>get that going from 9800 PRo to 6800?
>I recall there was something about CONTRAST having a huge effect on the
>appearance of every texture running shader 2.0 or higher maps. If the
>Contrast wasn't set in a somewhat narrower range, things do look like
>that...kinda 'flattish' textured. Sound close? I just had to balance
>that out in Riddick:EFBB
>McG.

I'm not saying I currently have any issues like that. With certain
cards and certain drivers Doom 3 and Far Cry can look plastic. If you
actually go so far as to mess around the with fragment programs in Doom
3, you can get things to look very plastic. Some of the character
models in Q4 have a look that's akin to that yet different.
In the nvnews.net forums, I've seen it referred to as the "Armor-All
effect".

I'm playing Riddick right now too, on the XBox. It's still very good
(I've played the PC Demo), but it's just aliased up the yin-yang.
Overpowered by jaggies, but it's the only game for the XBox I've got so
far besides Halo2 that truly supports 16:9 widescreen, so that's nice.
I'm at the beginning of "Triple Max", the third and final part of the game.

--
The Official God FAQ: http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

hey m8, what kind of player you using to watch this on ?
tks

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 5/20/2005 11:29 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>>

>>> On 5/18/2005 7:18 AM Miss Understanding brightened our day with:

>>> So you play a renegade Strogg in Quake IV? Or a Strogg/Human
>>> infiltrator? It looks pretty cool, I can't put my finger on it but
>>> everything looks a little phony for some reason. It's not that
>>> plastic look that Doom 3 and Far Cry exhibit on occasion, it's more
>>> like everything has a
>>> ceramic cast to it.
>>>

>> You sure you got your shaders cranked up Steve? The most realistic
>> model textures I've seen yet are in Far Cry, HL2 and Doom3. There
>> is stuff I never saw at all until I ran it on the 6800/6800GT. Don't
>> you get that going from 9800 PRo to 6800?
>> I recall there was something about CONTRAST having a huge effect on
>> the appearance of every texture running shader 2.0 or higher maps. If
>> the Contrast wasn't set in a somewhat narrower range, things do
>> look like that...kinda 'flattish' textured. Sound close? I just
>> had to balance that out in Riddick:EFBB
>> McG.
>>

> I'm not saying I currently have any issues like that. With certain
> cards and certain drivers Doom 3 and Far Cry can look plastic. If you
> actually go so far as to mess around the with fragment programs in
> Doom 3, you can get things to look very plastic. Some of the
> character models in Q4 have a look that's akin to that yet different.
> In the nvnews.net forums, I've seen it referred to as the "Armor-All
> effect".
>
> I'm playing Riddick right now too, on the XBox. It's still very good
> (I've played the PC Demo), but it's just aliased up the yin-yang.
> Overpowered by jaggies, but it's the only game for the XBox I've got
> so far besides Halo2 that truly supports 16:9 widescreen, so that's
> nice. I'm at the beginning of "Triple Max", the third and final part
> of the
> game.

I'm getting off to a slow start. I am at the beginning of the game.

"~ OTH ~" <OTH@aol.com> wrote in message
> hey m8, what kind of player you using to watch this on ?
> tks
> "Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > For those interested, the Q4 Trailer is posted as a torrent file here -
> >
> > http://w2.isohunt.com/latest.php?mode=bt
> >
> > Approx 54mb WMV file - get it ASAP while the torrent is still highly
> > active.
> >
> > --
> >
> > --
> >
> > "Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth".

Its a WMV file - so I believe* that only windows media player will do it..
even then, it is a graphic intensive movie..

On 5/21/2005 10:18 AM Miss Understanding brightened our day with:

>"~ OTH ~" <OTH@aol.com> wrote in message
>

>>hey m8, what kind of player you using to watch this on ?
>>tks
>>"Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>For those interested, the Q4 Trailer is posted as a torrent file here -
>>>
>>>http://w2.isohunt.com/latest.php?mode=bt
>>>
>>>Approx 54mb WMV file - get it ASAP while the torrent is still highly
>>>active.
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>"Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth".
>>>

>Its a WMV file - so I believe* that only windows media player will do it..
>even then, it is a graphic intensive movie..
>
>--

WinAmp can play wmv files as well.