Comcast cutting FM radio transmission

Last response: in Home Theatre
February 16, 2005 12:24:27 AM

I just recently signed up for expanded Comcast service for digital
service and HDTV, and now today they decided to eliminate FM radio
transmission. This was without proper notice to me. (SF Bay Area)
I listen to FM a lot (much more than I watch HDTV) and this was one of
the main reasons for choosing cable instead of satellite. Now I will
reconsider.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:43:07 AM

Cable transmitted FM radio is a nice touch from a cable company,but
hardly necessary unless you cannot place an outdoor antenna.A "common"
YAGI-style antenna used for TV reception can also be used to pull in FM
stations if you couple it to a rotator/motor.Both of these can be
acquired from a local Radio Shack,if not from other sources.The only
case I could think of where this would not do is if some of the stations
being listened to is outside of an antenna's general 160 mile line of
sight limit.
February 16, 2005 11:33:47 AM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:43:07 -0800, SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

>Cable transmitted FM radio is a nice touch from a cable company,but
>hardly necessary unless you cannot place an outdoor antenna.A "common"
>YAGI-style antenna used for TV reception can also be used to pull in FM
>stations if you couple it to a rotator/motor.Both of these can be
>acquired from a local Radio Shack,if not from other sources.The only
>case I could think of where this would not do is if some of the stations
>being listened to is outside of an antenna's general 160 mile line of
>sight limit.

I guess you missed the point of his post.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
February 16, 2005 2:17:48 PM

It's a sad commentary, but I'll bet they didn't many complaints.

BTW if you haven't discovered XMRadio ( or Sirius ) give it a try. If you
like radio, you'll love XM.

--
"Dennis N. Yugo" <number6@oncebitten.org> wrote in message
>I just recently signed up for expanded Comcast service for digital
> service and HDTV, and now today they decided to eliminate FM radio
> transmission. This was without proper notice to me. (SF Bay Area)
> I listen to FM a lot (much more than I watch HDTV) and this was one of
> the main reasons for choosing cable instead of satellite. Now I will
> reconsider.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:22:41 PM

In article <6596-4212DD6B-477@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net>, SAC441@webtv.net
says...
> Cable transmitted FM radio is a nice touch from a cable company,but
> hardly necessary unless you cannot place an outdoor antenna.

That all depends on what you like to listen to, what the cable company has to
offer, and what is available in your area.

My area is a no mans land for FM and AM, good distant stations buried by born
again translators in granny's attic and Satellite fed corporate mandated
generic slop.

Quality FM broadcasts are captured with a roof mounted rotor controlled beam
antenna.

AM signals of worth are snagged with a 150 foot long wire antenna hung between
two trees in the backyard.

The real issues with FM on CATV in my area is the CATV company charged for FM
reception Ala cart, most people just plugged their FM receivers into the cable
and didn't bother paying for it. No revenue for the service means waste of
bandwidth to CATV company so they pull the plug on it which has impacted Senior
citizens more than anyone else. They either live in areas where outdoor
antennas are not allowed, wouldn't put up an antenna to begin with, or because
or terrain a good FM signal is hard to find.

It kept the letters to the editor section of our paper hopping for awhile.

Steve
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:46:41 AM

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:17:48 -0500, "Joel Graffman"
<JRGraff@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>It's a sad commentary, but I'll bet they didn't many complaints.
>
>BTW if you haven't discovered XMRadio ( or Sirius ) give it a try. If you
>like radio, you'll love XM.

I got tired of the commercials. Haven't listened to radio in years,
except for about five seconds every morning at 7:30.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:06:43 PM

<paul_brown@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:17:48 -0500, "Joel Graffman"
> <JRGraff@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>It's a sad commentary, but I'll bet they didn't many complaints.
>>
>>BTW if you haven't discovered XMRadio ( or Sirius ) give it a try. If you
>>like radio, you'll love XM.
>

> I got tired of the commercials. Haven't listened to radio in years,
> except for about five seconds every morning at 7:30.

I too despised all the commercials.

The $12.99/mo. I pay to Sirius each month is more than worth it, as far as
i'm concerned. 24/7, commercial-free music of every possible genre is only
a button away. It's in my car, at home, and available anywhere I've got on
internet connection (work).

I know it probably sounds like I work for them (I don't), but I really can't
describe how much it has revolutionized the way I incorporate music into my
day-in, day-out routine. A lot like the DVR, in the sense that I can now
enjoy exactly what I want, when I want, sans commercials.

Now if they'd just incorporate a satellite receiver into an iPod...well, I
just don't think it could get any better than that. Unfortunately, I read
that they (both Sirius and SM) approached Steve Jobs about just such a
product and he wasn't interested. Too bad, 'cause I'd probably pay large
amounts of cash for one.

~d. jettster
February 20, 2005 3:01:59 PM

"dexter jettster" <dj@jeditemple.com> wrote in message
news:D mKRd.53667$iC4.28412@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...

> <paul_brown@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:17:48 -0500, "Joel Graffman"
>> <JRGraff@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>
>>>It's a sad commentary, but I'll bet they didn't many complaints.
>>>
>>>BTW if you haven't discovered XMRadio ( or Sirius ) give it a try. If you
>>>like radio, you'll love XM.
>>

>> I got tired of the commercials. Haven't listened to radio in years,
>> except for about five seconds every morning at 7:30.
>

> I too despised all the commercials.
>
> The $12.99/mo. I pay to Sirius each month is more than worth it, as far as
> i'm concerned. 24/7, commercial-free music of every possible genre is
> only a button away. It's in my car, at home, and available anywhere I've
> got on internet connection (work).
>
> I know it probably sounds like I work for them (I don't), but I really
> can't describe how much it has revolutionized the way I incorporate music
> into my day-in, day-out routine. A lot like the DVR, in the sense that I
> can now enjoy exactly what I want, when I want, sans commercials.
>
> Now if they'd just incorporate a satellite receiver into an iPod...well, I
> just don't think it could get any better than that. Unfortunately, I read
> that they (both Sirius and SM) approached Steve Jobs about just such a
> product and he wasn't interested. Too bad, 'cause I'd probably pay large
> amounts of cash for one.
>
> ~d. jettster

Check out the XM MyFi. It's a bit pricey, but I'm sure its only the first
of may of this type to come.
!