Removing Windows XP from Dual Boot

toffe2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hello guys, I recently decided to install WinXP on my Windows 7 Homepremium computer. I partitioned my hard drive into 2 and installed XP on the 2nd one.

How do I delete XP completely and still keep everything from Windows 7?

Is it possible to just do system recovery on Windows 7 and return it to an earlier state?

Thanks

i dont think you can do it with system recovery--you have 2 operating systems on 2 partitions

i think you could just format the 2nd partition then remove xp from the boot record

remove from boot record--start--type msconfig--open msconfig--go to boot tab--delete the reference to xp

then resize your partition if you want the full hard drive for windows 7

toffe2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
my current problem is that I cannot start windows 7.

i tried using easy BCD and that worked, but when I am prompted to select either Windows XP or Windows 7, and I chose Win 7, it loads for a bit and takes me back to the selection screen again so I can only open XP.

now i;m doing startup repair but it seems to take forever at the "Attempting Repairs stage"......

luckily for you lenovo/ibm have always been good for recovery partitions--try this

Turn on the computer. When the Lenovo logo appears, press the F2 key on the
keyboard to start the Rescue System, then you can select OneKey Recovery

it wont delete the xp though usually only the c drive--but should make it bootable

toffe2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
wow thanks i never noticed that. hmmm i am currently going through the restoration process. once i finish, should i be able to load up win7 and delete the XP partition and make the partitions into 1 again?

should be able to--nothings ever guaranteed with computers

if not log into xp and download a free partitioning software--make the bootable cd from it and wipe both partitions--making sure not to wipe the small recovery partition--then run the f2 recovery--that way xp will be gone

toffe2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
wow the problem now is that I cannot boot into windows at all. going into safe mode will take me back to the same screen again, choosing to start normal does the same. so is every other option available. and i dont think i can boot into XP anymore

it will show the partitions--usually you right click the one you want and select delete--then do the same for the second one--this leaves one large unallocated partition which you right click and format to ntfs

usually it will have a commit or apply button before it actually does it so you can double check you have selected the correct partitions--the recovery partition will be a smaller one--it may even be hidden or named recovery or something similar

should be a free version here of one of the softwares

http://www.easeus.com/product.htm