Video Device?

karama

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Well, it seems that buying an ATI 2900 XT is not a great idea. I Love ATI and I really wanted to buy a DX10 card. But from all I have read, this is not a great deal for the money. (If I am wrong, you can say so, I want to be persuaded). So, if I don't get a 2900XT, I am going to buy an NVidia card. But I need VIVO because I capture video from my VCR and Camera(composite only). Any good suggestions on a capture card.

P.S. I know this isn't the forum for this question, but would you buy DDR3 at this moment, I am buying my parts this weekend and I am torn between DDR2 and DDR3(for longer term viability, got burned on the 939 architecture)

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
the 2900xt can be a good buy depending on where you live, and what your requirements are. the 2900xt is faster than the 8800 320 and 640, but usually cost more, especially in the us. if you cant afford a gtx but want the next best thing, well the 2900xt is right for you. people are bashing the 2900xt pretty bad, so be aware. remember that the 2900xt is supposed to keep getting better with newer drivers. right now, however, the 8800 320 and 640 are a better buy for cost/pef. depends on your price range

karama

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Well, what about the anti-aliasing issues, as I understand it that is a hardware issue that can't be fixed with driver updates.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
actually, it could technically be tweaked with different bioses... ok, so, maybe you can't have aa, but if you have aa, af, hdr lighting and soft shadows your brand spanking new dx 10 games are going to lag, the quickest way to fix that is go and drop off the AA

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
the 2900xt can be a good buy depending on where you live, and what your requirements are. the 2900xt is faster than the 8800 320 and 640, but usually cost more, especially in the us. if you cant afford a gtx but want the next best thing, well the 2900xt is right for you. people are bashing the 2900xt pretty bad, so be aware. remember that the 2900xt is supposed to keep getting better with newer drivers. right now, however, the 8800 320 and 640 are a better buy for cost/pef. depends on your price range

Well said.

I was beginning to think that no one could mention the 2900xt without exclamation marks and lies one way or the other.

karama

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
So if I can buy a 2900xt from newegg for 409 and change, that is better than buying a Nvidia GTS with 320 or 640 for around 325 and change, and also buy a capture card for about 100 dollars. That is what the scenario is. And I have read articles about the 2900xt on Tomshardware, Hardocp, Anandtech, ect...
None of them have recommended it. Now, that being said I am still 50/50 because I really like ATI cards. In my computer now, I have a ASUS 9600 XT. It has been a great card. But I am concerned about the Anti-Aliasing issues. Anybody who is a gamer should be concerned. We want the games to look at there best. Otherwise, I would buy a 8600 and call it a day. The other parts of the 2900xt look fine to me. And I like the forward thinking when it comes to the HDMI support. Any comments?

petevsdrm

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
So if I can buy a 2900xt from newegg for 409 and change, that is better than buying a Nvidia GTS with 320 or 640 for around 325 and change, and also buy a capture card for about 100 dollars.

Well, I would still say the 8800 gts has better performance for your dollar right now(in the US anyway) but if the 2900xt can do the video capture you need without buying a separate capture card then it is definitely the way to go. You would get similar performance(maybe better with future drivers) and save money on the capture card.

That is what the scenario is. And I have read articles about the 2900xt on Tomshardware, Hardocp, Anandtech, ect...
None of them have recommended it. Now, that being said I am still 50/50 because I really like ATI cards.

As a purely gaming card I wouldn't recommend it either until the price drops a bit(again, only in the US). Your needs are different though with the vivo requirement.

In my computer now, I have a ASUS 9600 XT. It has been a great card. But I am concerned about the Anti-Aliasing issues. Anybody who is a gamer should be concerned. We want the games to look at there best. Otherwise, I would buy a 8600 and call it a day. The other parts of the 2900xt look fine to me. And I like the forward thinking when it comes to the HDMI support. Any comments?

I like the HDMI support as well. If the 2600xt's are priced competitively, I may get one for my HTPC. The antialiasing is worrisome, hopefully it is something that can be improved with drivers, but honestly I couldn't say. TheGreatGrapeApe is the one to ask about that sort of stuff.