Sign in with
Your question

help, wont turn on after clean up

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2007 4:25:01 PM

after my 1st build 2 weeks ago, i have decided to clean it up a bit, cable management stuff. after i took off everything and clean it up. when i put everything back like it was. i cant turn on my pc. i checked just about everything, from plugging everything to jumper settings.

what is the problem?? i m going crazy now....

my set up
ds3 3.3rev
700w ocz watt
e6420
8800gts
2 gb ocz ram

p.s in jumpers, where ground is negative right?? but anyways, i did copied it down before i took those jumper out, just in case if i messed up

p.s in power supply, where I/O is the powersetting, where I is on?? and O is off?? just want to make sure

More about : wont turn clean

June 22, 2007 7:04:33 PM

i read that if the mother board is touching any metal part of the case, it wonts boot?? maybe when i plugged my 24pin, i pressed too hard?? i want to test if my mother board is okay, i read somthing like placing motherboard on to of so wood surface and just put cup+heatsink,ram,jumper and videocard but how to turn it on without the case's on button!!!

i want to get a clear understanding b4 i start to place everything again, like the 5th time in 2days period.
June 22, 2007 8:34:27 PM

Triple check all your power connections first and make sure the PSU is set to the right voltage for you area. Also check your manual to make sure your jumpers are set to default. If it still doesn't respond then take it out, and set up on cardboard with just the video card, ram, and CPU (PSU of corse) and find the two pins that you connect the power supply too, and use the metal part of a pin, that is not completely metal and bridge the two pins. If that doesn't work then do a jumper reset of the bios with the battery out (this is a reset you will probably find the instructions too in your manual). If you still have a problem then try starting the computer up without the gpu, and if still not working then take out the RAM. If you get no beeps then either the PSU or the mobo might be bad.
Related resources
June 22, 2007 8:54:12 PM

my psu and harddrive are fine, i tested with my old pc. i was going to try take the motherboard,rams,gpu,cpu and pus on woodsurface areas, but i dont know how to get it power on. the part where you mentioned "find the two pins that you connect the power supply too, and use the metal part of a pin, that is not completely metal and bridge the two pins" i dont know how to do that. i read some said use 2 pins header on the jumper and tap it with screwdriver. i going to try it anyways, pls more help
June 22, 2007 9:31:11 PM

Quote:
the part where you mentioned "find the two pins that you connect the power supply too, and use the metal part of a pin, that is not completely metal and bridge the two pins" i dont know how to do that. i read some said use 2 pins header on the jumper and tap it with screwdriver. i going to try it anyways, pls more help

That's what I was talking about. When you put your computer together, and plugged all the case wires into the mobo, you had to plug in the power button. the Two pins that it plugs into is what I was talking about, all you have to do is find something conductive that insulates you, and bridge those two pins for just a moment and that will be like pressing the power switch. Make sure you check your connections thoroughly, about 4 out of five times someone has a power on issue it is usually something is disconnected.
June 22, 2007 9:49:45 PM

i found out what was the problem, it was my gpu, my8800gts needs extra power supply, so i tested with nothing but motherboard, ram, cpu, and psu. when i turned it on with my case's power switch button it makes a loud beep sound and nothing loaded. so i plug in the gpu's power supply and it wont on turn,this is where the problem was. lucky me that my psu has two of those gpu's power supply and i used the other one and it works i can now turn on my pc without loud beep. so got it to bio now, i still to hook everything. hopefully i can get it to work, let you guys know afterward, but thanks anyways.
June 22, 2007 10:47:53 PM

Quote:
i found out what was the problem, it was my gpu, my8800gts needs extra power supply, so i tested with nothing but motherboard, ram, cpu, and psu. when i turned it on with my case's power switch button it makes a loud beep sound and nothing loaded. so i plug in the gpu's power supply and it wont on turn,this is where the problem was. lucky me that my psu has two of those gpu's power supply and i used the other one and it works i can now turn on my pc without loud beep. so got it to bio now, i still to hook everything. hopefully i can get it to work, let you guys know afterward, but thanks anyways.

It sounds like A the first 6 pin you used on your card was bad, or b it was on a rail sharing power with the mobo. The first is, more likely, what is happening.
June 23, 2007 1:04:54 AM

after i hooked all the part, it wont boot again, this time i used the egva's 6pin on my gpu and it works, got it to boot then while loading to windows, it stopped. after that i tired to press power on and it wont turn on. i m taking my pc to living and test.

what is rail sharing power with my motherboard?? can you explain that more? that me be the problem
June 23, 2007 1:18:33 AM

Some rails for the GPU power may also be powering some of the other componits, IE: IDE/serail drives, Mobo, and CPU through the mobo, it's getting rarer though with the power requirements. If it's giving you power issues with both 6-pins connectors, then you may have a bad PSU.
June 23, 2007 3:34:12 AM

when its not connected to my p180b case it works fine on wood surface area. i can even use it now, what might be the problem is the wires on the psu were too tight. its very hard to do cable management. its like impossible to connect to CUP's pins where the psu is located at the bottom. p180b+ds3=nightmare for noobs. plus thermalright ultra 120
June 23, 2007 11:37:12 PM

ok, i got it fixed now by adding some wood underneath my case. if i knew, i wouldnt go through all this troubles. how strange
June 24, 2007 9:07:33 PM

It is very strange, usually the brass standoff things do the trick, must be something on the mobo is more likely to short when close to metal then normal.
June 25, 2007 1:37:37 PM

the strange part of all of these is when my pc can turn on from like 3 feet from my desk, and when i tired to move closer to my desk it wont turns on... for that i have to add wood underneath.
June 26, 2007 8:29:38 PM

maybe an exorcist will help. :p  I can't really see how the desk effects things unless you have A Lot of electronics on it.
!