Zalman Installation

HBAndrew

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Hey guys, just got my FC-ZV9 for my Gainward 6600GT, and have a couple questions. Picture here.

First, because the chip is obviously higher than the holes, are the nipples/rubber bits supposed to be kinda floating or will they go down as I tighten everything?

Second, there were some foam things on all 4 holes between the card and the old heatsink (can see if looking carefully), with circuitry all under them, 1 came off completely the other 3 kinda didn't, picked away at them for a while with tweezers but without picking at them with my nails I don't think they are gonna move, and since theres circuitry under them options are limited. Will it be ok to leave them there or will they really cause problems? How should I get them off?

Also thinking of leaving the strip sinks on the ram chips, stuck on too well, hopefully just as good as the blocks that came with the Zalman, ~90c isn't nice.

Thanks

HBAndrew

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Ok no replies I went and did it anyway, not sure if this is right I have never done something like this before, but do I tighten these reasonably tight? Also are the plastic washers meant to bend like that? Since theres some soldering and little black chip things under a couple of them. And what is the point in the springs they don't seem to exactly do anything but get squashed.

img510.imageshack.us/img510/6137/img0271ig2.jpg

Fast reply appreciated in case it's wrong and paste dries, thanks.

EDIT: Seems to be working great, after an hour instead of 58-60 idle its now 38-40, and thats with the fan on just above minimum speed. Any programs out there that will record speed as well as alert you when it hits a temp you set?