Difference between Intel stock HSF and Intel retail HSF

Difference between Intel stock HSF and Intel retail HSF?
7 answers Last reply
More about difference intel stock intel retail
  1. No if they are for the same cpu socket type, they should be identicle.
  2. Well.. that's what i thought but AnandTech's review says different

http://anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=3010&p=6

When overclocking with Intel Stock HSF c2D X6800 was only able to reach 2933mhz while overclocking with Intel Retail HSF, they were able to reach 3730mhz. There must be a lot of difference between those 2 HSF.

Edit, I got confused. According to Anandtech, the meaning of stock X6800 was the actual stock x6800 not a HSF.
  3. The problem is that you are misunderstanding the graph at anandtech.

Anandtech is showing how much they are able to overclock a X6800 using different heatsinks. The Stock X6800 simply shows the default speed of a X6800 for having something to compare to while all the other shows higest possible overclock using a specific heatsink.
  4. Quote:
    Well.. that's what i thought but AnandTech's review says different

http://anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=3010&p=6

When overclocking with Intel Stock HSF c2D X6800 was only able to reach 2933mhz while overclocking with Intel Retail HSF, they were able to reach 3730mhz. There must be a lot of difference between those 2 HSF.

Edit, I got confused. According to Anandtech, the meaning of stock X6800 was the actual stock x6800 not a HSF.

No, thats 'stock speed', not stock HSF.

The stock speed is 2933Mhz. The maximum the stock HSF can handle is 3730Mhz.
  5. yes, that's exactly the same. "stock" in this article means: no OC, nothing more and actually does not refer to cooler

however, Intel's fans come in 2 different flavors. both have identical shape but they differ in that one is all aluminium and second is aluminium with copper pad. afair, aluminium one is added to pentium dual-core (E2140/E2160), the one with copper pad is added to C2Ds
  6. Said by me earlier:
    Quote:
    I got confused. According to Anandtech, the meaning of stock X6800 was the actual stock x6800 not a HSF.

Learned my lesson. Read everything that is confusing for 3 times minimum.
  7. Quote:
    Said by me earlier:I got confused. According to Anandtech, the meaning of stock X6800 was the actual stock x6800 not a HSF.

Learned my lesson. Read everything that is confusing for 3 times minimum.

Thats what my mom told me when I was younger.
    Good Advice.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Intel Overclocking