7600GT vs 7950 GT

I posted a similar question before but I cant seem to find it. I want to get a new video card and im thinking about the 7950 GT since its a good price and it got good reviews on newegg. My current config is 2.13 duo core, 2 gigs of ddr2 667mhz cas 4, 945g asus chipset and a 430 watt Power supply. Will my computer bottleneck when using this card and is my power supply powerful enough for it? Im looking at the 256mb version
17 answers Last reply
More about 7600gt 7950
  1. The 7950gt is much more card than the 76gt.
    It wont bottleneck your system.

But your psu is questionable.
    What resolution are you running?
    If it is 12x10 or less the 76gt will work fine.
  2. The 2.13ghz Core2 is the E6400 which is a really good processor. You could use an 8800 and not have a problem. The 7950GT isn't bad, but have you looked at the X1950's? They are better than the 7950 and either cheaper or around the same price. And yes, your PSU is questionable. Do you know the full specs of it?
  3. Thats why I love this site theres always someone hanging around to help. Its a thermaltake toughpower and its 430 watt. It came with the computer so I dont know everthing about it sorry. http://www.xoxide.com/thermaltake-toughpower-750w-modular-sli.html Im thinking about getting this power supply but neither newegg or tiger tirect has it. There is a site called xoxide.com that has it but ive never heard of them. I did look at the 1950s but I dont really know what im looking at. I just look at the core speed, memory speed and pixel pipelines.
  4. The t.t. toughpower is a good (cheap) psu. It has a single 18a 12volt rail.
    But running a 7950gt or even an x1950pro is pushing your luck.
  5. I agree. Getting a new one would probably be the best and safest route.

@Mike: The TT you listed will provide MORE than enough power for that system. I wouldn't recommend it only because of the price and the fact that it is major overkill.

Either of these would be fine for your system and still give you room later on:
    Seasonic M12 SS-500

Corsair HX520

The Corsair is a re-branded Seasonic and both are quality units.
  6. the 1950XT and 7950GT are equal but the 7950GT has better linux support, and better vertex and texture power while the x1950XT has more pixel power and a stronger memory controller.
  7. Is the 430 watt powerful enough to run my current config without a problem? Im going to buy the PSU and the new graphics card at the same time so im going to have to wait a week or two. I will go with the 520 watt but just so I know for the future is overkill bad for a computer?
  8. Quote:
    the 1950XT and 7950GT are equal but the 7950GT has better linux support, and better vertex and texture power while the x1950XT has more pixel power and a stronger memory controller.

Completely untrue.

The 7950GT is about as powerful as the 7800 GTX 512.
    The X1950XT is even more powerful than the X1900XT, and the X1900XT is even more powerful than the 7900 GTX.

So the X1950XT is a far better choice.
  9. Your current setup is fine for what you have now. Overkill on the PSU cannot hurt your computer as far as I know. You were just spending a lot of money on a PSU that had far more than you needed. If you want something a little more powerful Corsair makes a 620 watt unit that will give you plenty of headroom and not be ridiculously expensive.

Corsair HX620
  10. You all have been very helpful and I would appreciate it if you would look at my other post. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=856630#856630 Im hoping its Vista causing my problem so I bought XP home.
  11. When I figure out whats wrong with my computer( I already have sent the ram back hoping its a bad stick) Im checking out the 1950s like you all suggested but im not sure which brands are good and which are not. I also started checking out fans for the side of my computer. There is a vent that could have an 80mm mounted on it but im not entirely sure on how you plug it in and unplug it if you needed to get into the computer again. I read some of the reviews on the corsair 620 watt and one of the reviewers said that the fan on the bottom of the PSU blew hot air into his case. Is there a way to make the fan into an intake rather than an exaust.
  12. Get the 7950GT as it will run fine in your current system.The only thing I would change would be the power supply.I recommend a good quality 650-700watt psu.This you'll want to do for three reasons.
    1;The 7950 gt will run one the psu you currently have,it will tax it later down the road.
    2;Future proof yourself.Just to make sure you have plenty of power to spare as the newest and greatest out there does use more power despite all the power saving technology.
    3;If you like 1 7950GT,try running 2 of them in SLI.The performance boost is absolutely great.With two of these babies you'll power through just about any game out right now.Here is a link on 7950gt ko reviews and SLI. http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2833&p=1 .Goodluck in your decision.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
    M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
    2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
    THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
    7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
    ACER 22IN. LCD
    SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
    80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
    XP MCE
  13. Don't know if this helps answer your question or not.

I've got an XFX 7950GT (512mb, XXX Edition -passively cooled) that I bought from Scan a few weeks ago for ~£150.

All seems to be well so far, but I've not really had a chance to test it properly yet. Certainly runs Half Life 2 with everything on max, but that's probably not the most demanding of games these days.

I've installed it in a Dell e520 (Core 2 Duo E6420, 2Gb 667MHz DDR2, 250mb SATA, 22" LCD). The stock Dell PSU says 305W but I'm told that the Dell PSUs take more than they're rated for.

There's an external power connector on the graphics card but it seems to be drawing enough power to work correctly from the PCI-E slot alone. Which is just as well because I've not got a spare P10 connector on the Dell PSU.

I'm sure someone will say if this is a really bad idea and that I'm about to destroy my system, but all seems to be well.

I went for the 7950Gt over the x1950XT because it's cooler and less power hungry. And it looks pretty.
  14. I have a 7950 gt and its great. runs all my games on max, just gets to hot!! up to 90C. so make sure u have a nice sized case. also i can stably oc the core to around 630 mhz Just the ram gets hot because the cooler doesn't cover the ram. A 7600gt isnt nearly as good

My 7950 will run fear in 1080x1920 at around 48 FPS and a 7600 gt at about 12 FPS i used to have a 7600 and my 7950 eats it alive :p

One last thing power supply wattage is not as important as ur 12v rails. Look on the side of ur psu and make sure u have more than one 12v rail. if u only have one upgrade it. if u have two make sure its at least 14 amps per rail:) if so u will be fine. I used to have a 380 watt with two rails of 14 and it was fine
  15. Quote:
    the 1950XT and 7950GT are equal but the 7950GT has better linux support, and better vertex and texture power while the x1950XT has more pixel power and a stronger memory controller.

Completely untrue.

The 7950GT is about as powerful as the 7800 GTX 512.
    The X1950XT is even more powerful than the X1900XT, and the X1900XT is even more powerful than the 7900 GTX.

So the X1950XT is a far better choice.

Listen to this man!

The X1950XT would beat a 7950gt and there is a 256mb version for $150 after rebate. I believe the 7950gt does use less power but as long as you have a solid PSU this won't be a problem.

Benchmarks say more than clock speeds THG VGA charts
  16. The 7950 is an awesome card that performs very well for its cost.It also blows the doors off the 7600 hands down.I recommend the 7950.Good price/performance and SLI is awesome with thtwo of these cards.Have fun and goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
    M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
    2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
    THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
    7950 GX2 560/1450
    ACER 22IN. LCD
    SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
    80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
    XP MCE
    3DMARK05 14644
  17. I opted for a 7950GT because of its passive cooler, somewhat better energy efficiency, supposedly lower temps, and the LIFETIME WARRANTY.

One issue that I had in my SFF case was that the GPU hit a load temp of 99C - I'm surprised it didn't fry. I bought a slot fan (Azenx) and that cooled it to a max of 76C that I've seen (airflow is limited because I installed an X-Fi card below the fan - w/o the card, it hit around 62C on load).

Check out eBay - there's an XFX 7950GT clocked FASTER than my card at a low bid right now. Also, other 7950GTs are going around $170 (w/ shipping) and NO REBATE HASSLES.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Graphics Product