Another Powerleveling thread

I know we've been through this before but I just want to mention and event
that some of you can relate to. I logged on with my lvl30 blaster this past
weekend and almost instantly got a team invite. I love to team so I figure,
why not. The second I accept I get a request to SK the inviter, a lvl15
blaster, the only other member of the team. I ask him if he was looking to
powerlevel and I get no response. A few minutes go by and I can see by the
map that he is active but has chosen not to respond. So I quit the useless
pairing. I then broadcast that I am LFT and sure enough I get an invite
from the blaster again. I send him a tell asking if I know him . . . no
response. I ask again . . . same. I then proceed to decline the invite,
then I find I have to do this a few more time. Guess he really wanted to
team with me but didn't want to comunicate beyond "Can you SK me?"

Also this past weekend I found myself with a team that looked to be
powerleveling. Now I don't like to sit by the door and leach so I told the
40+ that I want to help and I know how to use my blaster with a higher lvl
tank. He agrees and off we go. This worked well as I was able to
contribute and was in on the action. My accuracy was probably about 80% so
that was great. Later he jumps to his lvl50 and asks me if I want to be
power leveled. THIS IS THE WAY IT SHOULD WORK. THE HIGHER LVL TOON
INVITING THE LOWER LVL. I figured I've really never been truely power
leveled so I said I would try. Off to PI to an AV mission where I sat at
the gate. There were a few other team members invited that could contribute
but man that is boring. Nice XP but 0 fun. BTW, didn't even get half way
to leveling after 45 minutes or so.

--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 30 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy (Sweet Steel Justice

> Pinnacle Server <
Frigid B Itch - lvl4 - Mutant Tanker - Ice/Ice

Hawaii_SE-R wrote:
> I logged on with my lvl30 blaster this past weekend and almost
> instantly got a team invite .... I ask him if he was looking to
> powerlevel and I get no response. A few minutes go by and I can see
> by the map that he is active but has chosen not to respond. So I quit
> the useless pairing.

That's reasonable. I don't enjoy playing with uncommunicative players,
regardless of whether they're PLing.

> [Later, a high-level teammate offers to PL Hawaii_SE-R:] I figured
> I've really never been truely power leveled so I said I would try.
> Off to PI to an AV mission where I sat at the gate. There were a few
> other team members invited that could contribute but man that is
> boring. Nice XP but 0 fun.

Sitting at the gate isn't much fun. The one time I PLed (friends helping
me get a head start on a travel power), I followed the group around at a
mostly-safe distance as a tourist. That wasn't as fun as actually
playing, but it was nice to see some places & villains for the first
time.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote in message

> Also this past weekend I found myself with a team that looked to be
> powerleveling. Now I don't like to sit by the door and leach so I told
> the
> 40+ that I want to help and I know how to use my blaster with a higher lvl
> tank. He agrees and off we go. This worked well as I was able to
> contribute and was in on the action. My accuracy was probably about 80%
> so
> that was great. Later he jumps to his lvl50 and asks me if I want to be
> power leveled. THIS IS THE WAY IT SHOULD WORK. THE HIGHER LVL TOON
> INVITING THE LOWER LVL. I figured I've really never been truely power
> leveled so I said I would try. Off to PI to an AV mission where I sat at
> the gate. There were a few other team members invited that could
> contribute
> but man that is boring. Nice XP but 0 fun. BTW, didn't even get half way
> to leveling after 45 minutes or so.

I've never had any high-level character be that generous to one of mine. He
must have liked you.

I have had my main approached just once for power-levelling and once was
enough. I'll SK, but the SK pulls his weight.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 18 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 17 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote:
> THIS IS THE WAY IT SHOULD WORK. THE HIGHER LVL TOON INVITING THE LOWER
> LVL.

I'd agree. I was playing my 28 blaster with a guy who was just bubbles from
30. He played well and was an amusing chat companion, so I ended up
dropping into Shen, picking him up again, and we went and battled stuff in
FF until he leveled. Was fun for everyone and I even got a couple of
bubbles out of it.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of

>"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Also this past weekend I found myself with a team that looked to be
>> powerleveling. Now I don't like to sit by the door and leach so I told
>> the
>> 40+ that I want to help and I know how to use my blaster with a higher lvl
>> tank. He agrees and off we go. This worked well as I was able to
>> contribute and was in on the action. My accuracy was probably about 80%
>> so
>> that was great. Later he jumps to his lvl50 and asks me if I want to be
>> power leveled. THIS IS THE WAY IT SHOULD WORK. THE HIGHER LVL TOON
>> INVITING THE LOWER LVL. I figured I've really never been truely power
>> leveled so I said I would try. Off to PI to an AV mission where I sat at
>> the gate. There were a few other team members invited that could
>> contribute
>> but man that is boring. Nice XP but 0 fun. BTW, didn't even get half way
>> to leveling after 45 minutes or so.
>
>I've never had any high-level character be that generous to one of mine. He
>must have liked you.

Probably because he showed he was willing to work for exp and not just
sit on his ass. Even with cruddy accuracy and weak hits, doing what
you can to help shows you're a decent player.

>I have had my main approached just once for power-levelling and once was
>enough. I'll SK, but the SK pulls his weight.

Oh god the number of times Shadeling was asked when she was in the 40's.
The higher you get the more likely you'll get pestered for PLs and inf
handouts, especially if you're visible anywhere the leeches hang out
(like the PI ferry.)

Not looking forward to dealing with that again when Jade Wyvern gets
over 30.

Xocyll

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote :
> >I've never had any high-level character be that generous to one of mine.
He
> >must have liked you.
>
> Probably because he showed he was willing to work for exp and not just
> sit on his ass. Even with cruddy accuracy and weak hits, doing what
> you can to help shows you're a decent player.

I also would tend to believe that knowing how to use the specific architype
correctly in a team tends to help. Playing smart is definately a key to
being in the good graces of other players. I also dropped inspirations on
him as needed (1 awaken and 3 to another player) TP'd when they were down
and used my measly "Heal Others" to heal when I could.

--
8 Infinity Server 8
Purple Kid - Lvl 30 - M - Magic Blaster - Energy/Energy (Sweet Steel Justice
SG)
SE-R - Lvl 21 - M - Science Blaster- Fire/Fire (Sweet Steel Justice SG)
Smart Hulkster - Lvl 7 - Science Tanker - Invulnerability/War Mace
Ursa Mjr - Lvl 18 - Mutant Controller - Mind /Storm (Sweet Steel Justice SG)
7 of 8 - lvl 11 - Technology Defender - Force Field/ Radiation (Sweet Steel
Justice SG)

> Pinnacle Server <
Frigid B Itch - lvl4 - Mutant Tanker - Ice/Ice

"Hawaii_SE-R" <WhyUGottaSpam@Me.com> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote :
>> >I've never had any high-level character be that generous to one of mine.
>He
>> >must have liked you.
>>
>> Probably because he showed he was willing to work for exp and not just
>> sit on his ass. Even with cruddy accuracy and weak hits, doing what
>> you can to help shows you're a decent player.
>
>I also would tend to believe that knowing how to use the specific architype
>correctly in a team tends to help. Playing smart is definately a key to
>being in the good graces of other players. I also dropped inspirations on
>him as needed (1 awaken and 3 to another player) TP'd when they were down
>and used my measly "Heal Others" to heal when I could.

That's my biggest beef with the whole power leveling nonsense.
You end up with a pool of players who don't know wtf they're doing (as
happened with the Winter Lord bash-a-thon).
[And yes, an experienced player - even one with a level 50, doesn't
necessarily know how to play something else - especially not if he's
skipped most of the low levels.]

There was a guy on victory the other day asking about non training
enhancements.
As in "are there any enhancements he can buy other than the training
ones from the Freedom Corp guys in Atlas".

This guy was level 20 and had no idea anything beyond training
enhancements existed.

Too stupid to read the manual either I'm guessing.

Xocyll

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:

> Hawaii_SE-R wrote:
>
>>I logged on with my lvl30 blaster this past weekend and almost
>>instantly got a team invite .... I ask him if he was looking to
>>powerlevel and I get no response. A few minutes go by and I can see
>>by the map that he is active but has chosen not to respond. So I quit
>>the useless pairing.
>

> That's reasonable. I don't enjoy playing with uncommunicative players,
> regardless of whether they're PLing.

In any MMORPG I play, quiet group mates are a complete and utter
turn-off for me. I'm not much of a leader as it is, I choose to follow
in teams mostly, but when someone requests a group and I join to find
it's just us two, I look for communication. I know it's difficult to
always chat but I look for communication between fights when it's
safe...if I don't see it, I tend to leave straight off.

>>[Later, a high-level teammate offers to PL Hawaii_SE-R:] I figured
>>I've really never been truely power leveled so I said I would try.
>>Off to PI to an AV mission where I sat at the gate. There were a few
>>other team members invited that could contribute but man that is
>>boring. Nice XP but 0 fun.
>

> Sitting at the gate isn't much fun. The one time I PLed (friends helping
> me get a head start on a travel power), I followed the group around at a
> mostly-safe distance as a tourist. That wasn't as fun as actually
> playing, but it was nice to see some places & villains for the first
> time.

I've only had a couple one instance of someone player levelling me. I
was with a Guild mate in Knight Online who was quite a high level when I
joined. Unfortunately he didn't tell me he'd be power levelling me, we
ran around a bit until he said "Right, sit here"...I followed orders,
being new to the game, and a minute or two later saw my XP bar shooting
up. I left it about ten minutes until I realised I was totally
out-classed for the area I was in, had no idea how to return to safer
havens, so I made my excuses and left. Dullest few minutes of my life
that, and it successfully put me off Knight Online which isn't good at all.

--
Michael Greenhalgh
http://tripleb.co.uk

EverQuest 2:
Miglok Skreefyre of Venril Sathir, Hunter of Gnolls | Half-Elf Ranger |
Lavastorm
Rayd | Dwarf Summoner | Lavastorm

Loony Goon Circus Guild | http://www.loonygooncircus.com |
http://lgc.eq2guilds.org

City of Heroes:
Shadow Ranger | Mutation Scrapper | Virtue

---

Michael Greenhalgh wrote:
> I've only had a couple one instance of someone player levelling me. I
> was with a Guild mate in Knight Online who was quite a high level when
> I joined. Unfortunately he didn't tell me he'd be power levelling me,
> we ran around a bit until he said "Right, sit here" .... Dullest few
> minutes of my life that ....

Heh, I believe it. The only gate-sitting I did was during a short dinner
break. I wouldn't want to actually sit there staring at my toon's ass,
not even if it was one of my cute female toons. I'm sure even "tourist"
PLing would get dull if I did it more than a couple times.

I don't particularly care about my toons' levels; I just want to play
the game. The only reason I even consider PLing is because fighting the
same Hellions for the dozenth time is even duller than PLing.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> This guy was level 20 and had no idea anything beyond training
> enhancements existed.
>
> Too stupid to read the manual either I'm guessing.

Most people open the box, pull out the CD packet and never look at
anything else, ever - substitute "tool" "gizmo" or "appliance" for CD
packet, too.

If you aren't the type to scour the manuals, buy the Prima guide, find
and follow the forums and support web sites... then you're going to need
to level slowly and learn by reading all the subtle cues the contacts
give you, and what you can pick up from chat. Jumping in, blowing your
way to 18 or 20, and then standing around scratching your toon's ass
trying to figure out why you're so messed up is NOT a good way to go.

But then, no one in here doesn't know that... :p

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 17 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= R A Heinlein: Level 5 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

TRENDING THREADS