Sign in with
Your question

Jumbo Gigabit ???

Last response: in Networking
February 2, 2008 8:41:55 PM

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a Gigabit networked computer and NAS that support jumbo frames. My problem is that I have a D-Link DIR-655 Router (non-jumbo). I'd like to get a Gigabit Jumbo capable switch to connect them all. However, what would happen to my router and the internet connection it provides? Would everything work OK or would I have problems accessing the internet?

Thanks,

More about : jumbo gigabit

February 2, 2008 11:53:17 PM

Jumbo frames? Not sure I've heard about that one dude. Personally, I would just leave it, your main thing to worry about is latency. I think if I were you, if it runs fine, leave it alone. The standards are out there for a reason.
February 3, 2008 6:57:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, but do a search on jumbo frames or MTU settings and you will see the advantage in sending larger packets over a network. Jumbo frames on LAN's is becoming more common place and I would like to take advantage of this technology's benefits while being able to access the WAN (internet).

Does anyone have any experience with the type of network I describe in my 1st post?

Thanks
Related resources
February 4, 2008 1:06:20 PM

You can just adjust the MTU settings on your router to match the "jumbo" frames. As far as I know every router has adjustable MTU settings. Bigger packets = higher latency though.
February 4, 2008 1:39:38 PM

Wow, does anyone here know anything about jumbo frames? Most routers don't support jumbo frames. Most gigabit switches do. I need to know if anyone has ever tried attaching a router to a jumbo frames enabled gigabit switch and got it to work ok.
February 4, 2008 5:02:55 PM

That's because it's most likely not feasible. The LAN is going to 1000Mbps (assuming it's all Gigabit) and the routers WAN connection is only going to be 1-10Megabits. I just don't think it will work well unless you've got a really high-end internet connection.

Another thread about this same issue:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20364-42-jumbo-frames...

February 5, 2008 6:44:09 AM

Jumbo frames only give a small advantage when transferring large files across a LAN. Hardisk performance can negate this advantage. A router ehich supports gigabit LAN and jumbo frames will work fine and not impact your internet connection in the least as it's connection with the ISP is layer 3 and it will rebuild the IP packets it sends to the ISP while NATing.

Jumbo frames (which is a layer 2 encapsulation) have nothing to do with MTU (which is used for IP and is layer 3). Most routers and ISPs work with an MTU of 1500. In essence, if you want to have a gigabit LAN and have it work flawlessly you'd need a router with at least one LAN port connected to the gigabit switch and both ports will have to support Jumbo frames (as some switches disable jumbo frames if one port does not support it).
!