Changing from Windows 98 to Window XP

I have a computer with Window 98 with a lot of problems. I would like
to update the operating system to Windows XP but do not want to just
load over 98. I think I should reformat the hard drive and then
install Window XP. I am not into computers but would like to try and
do it myself. My question is after I format my hard drive how do I get
my CD to talk to my computer. Do I have to load a driver and if so how
do I get the correct driver for my CD. I know this is a very basic
question to most of you but I would appreciate some guidance.

Bill
3 answers Last reply
More about changing windows window

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    NOTE: If you have an internal Zip Drive installed, physically disconnect the
    EIDE and power cable to it before proceeding, otherwise your main
    hard drive may not be assigned the customary C: drive letter.
    After installing Windows XP, you may then reconnect it.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete all the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. ==> Immediately after installing Windows XP, turn on XP's Firewall.
    ==> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.mspx

    7. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    8. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    9. If you happen to run into any installation difficulties, use the following resources:

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    In news:42b34b25.294221881@news.mi.comcast.giganews.com,
    Bill Smith <bsmith02@comcast.net> typed:

    > I have a computer with Window 98 with a lot of problems. I
    > would like
    > to update the operating system to Windows XP but do not want to
    > just
    > load over 98. I think I should reformat the hard drive and then
    > install Window XP.

    Although normally an upgrade over the top of Windows98 works very
    well, if you're currently experiencing "lots of problems," I
    agree that a clean installation is probably best.

    > I am not into computers but would like to try and
    > do it myself. My question is after I format my hard drive how
    > do I get
    > my CD to talk to my computer.

    No,actually you *don't* format the drive first.
    Just boot from the Windows XP CD (change the BIOS boot order if
    necessary to accomplish this) and follow the prompts for a clean
    installation (delete the existing partition by pressing "D" when
    prompted, then create a new one).

    You can find detailed instructions here:

    or here http://windowsxp.mvps.org/XPClean.htm

    or here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/clean_install.htm

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Bill Smith wrote:
    > I have a computer with Window 98 with a lot of problems. I would like
    > to update the operating system to Windows XP but do not want to just
    > load over 98. I think I should reformat the hard drive and then
    > install Window XP. I am not into computers but would like to try and
    > do it myself. My question is after I format my hard drive how do I get
    > my CD to talk to my computer. Do I have to load a driver and if so how
    > do I get the correct driver for my CD. I know this is a very basic
    > question to most of you but I would appreciate some guidance.
    >
    > Bill

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
    of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
    manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
    Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
    hardware components or applications.

    You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
    there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
    components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
    Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
    with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
    hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
    models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
    consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
    before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
    hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
    still support Win9x.

    HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

    Upgrading to Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

    --