Your question

Video resource conflict.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Windows XP
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 22, 2007 6:43:46 PM

I cannot find an answer to this issue anywhere.

Computer has an agp nvidia 6200 installed.

The display adapter currently used by XP is "vgaSave". I guess the problem could be due to some IRQ conflict. BIOS is set to AGP Going into XP this is what I find under Device Manager of XP:
1. Cannot find DISPLAY ADAPTERS group at all.
2. Under SYSTEM DEVICES group the following item is highlighted with the yellow exclamation mark: INTEL 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV/E Processor to AGP Controller - 2561
When I check the Properties for the item I see a message that says "this device could not find enough free resources that it can use, you will need to disable on of the other devices...." I've tried changing IRQ settings to no avail in the bios. Have tried updating the bios also.

System: Dimension 4550 WinXp P4 2.52g (steenken work puter)

More about : video resource conflict

June 23, 2007 12:27:32 AM

This is what microsoft knowldedgebase says about your issue:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system. (Code 12)

Recommended resolution

Two devices have been assigned the same I/O ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel (either by the BIOS, the operating system, or a combination of the two). This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device (for example, if a universal serial bus (USB) controller is not an interrupt from the BIOS because of a corrupted Multiprocessor System (MPS) table).

You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device. On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard

Seems to say that you can find and disable the conflicting hardware in device manager itself.
Maybe try disabling/removing as many devices you can like USB, separate soundcard, internet adapters and such and reinstall them after the system has set resources for your APG card.

GL.

If this does not work you could try reinstalling the controller (most likely part of chipset drivers)
June 23, 2007 1:52:23 AM

Check to see what has been given what IRQ in the BIOS.