Windows 7 upgrade from XP

tdubb21

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
I am about to finish my build tomorrow, and was wondering if i can boot my system off of my windows xp disc, and then (get a windows 7 professional upgrade for cheap cause i am a student) be able to upgrade xp to 7?

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It seems that you have to have an authenticated copy of XP preinstalled to use the upgrade version of Win 7. I thought you could just use the XP disk like earlier OS upgrades but it seems not. Consider buying an OEM version which does not require the XP disk. What I do is when I sell on my old rig's I sell the OEM Win 7 with it (all nice and legal) to recover the cost and then I use the money from the sale to buy another OEM version for my new Rig. It works very well and does not cost you money over the long term.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7?T1=tab02

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Well it wont take long to find out if you can do it that way. There seems to be some confusion around whether you need XP properly installed on a partition and I have never done an upgrade from XP. Give it a go and see if it works.