Overclocking + External Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadowflit

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Problem:
The computer runs stably (and overclocked) without the external hard drive plugged in. If I plug it in while Windows Vista is already running, the hard drive turns on but Windows doesn't pick up on it and its as if its not plugged in. If I restart (with it plugged in), the bios will reset the overclocked settings, and the time between the vista "nogui boot" screen and the logo/logon screen gets in the 30-60 second range, and it seems like all the peripherals power down, and then power on again after waiting with a black screen. After all these problems, however, the hard drive will work fine.

Specs:
e6420 @ 2.8Ghz (350 fsb)
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 3.3 (updated BIOS to F12)
2 gb ram
2 250 gb hard drives in RAID1

External Hard Drives tested:
WD MyBook Essential, WD Passport

erm..help please?

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Overclocking has nothing to do with it not working.
Does the HD work on other computers?
Make sure it's formated into FAT32 or NTFS or something that windows can see.
Also make sure you have the right usb drivers installed

shadowflit

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
I agree overclocking should have nothing to do with it, but the bios resets the overclocked settings whenever it boots while the external hard drive is attached - and only the overclocked settings: fsb, memory multiplier (not restoring to a general default or anything, it leaves everything else the same). None of this happens when booting without the HD attached.

Yep, hard drives work just fine on other computers (though all standard bios settings - the other computers I can test on are laptops / prebuilt).

Formatted NTFS, was working fine on old computer.

No drivers are needed - its supposed to just plug in and work (and did on the other computers). Are you talking about different ones?

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
Yea whether it worked on other pc's.
If you're using your front usb ports try using the ones in the back and see it that allows it to work.
If it's one of the USB powered drives your pc may not be putting out enough power through the usb bus.

shadowflit

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
One is usb powered, one not, but it makes no difference. Neither does front/back ports. I did a lot of fiddling yesterday, and now the internal hard drives are no longer in RAID, and Windows will recognize the hard drives. However, the BIOS still resets overclocked settings whenever the computer boots with the hard drive attached.

uwisuwerme7

Distinguished
May 12, 2006
If the computer is reseting the bios settings when it's plugged in then i'd say upgrade your bios.
Sounds like some sort of compatibility issue.
Is there any chance this computer used to have an older OS on it, or is it new?

bobo22

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

Hi,

I know this thread is still 2 years old, but I recently had the same problem. To fix it, I disabled the "Legacy USB controller" in the Bios. I think it's located under the "Advanced Menu".

Hope it helps!
ciao

Keydogg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Thanks so much for putting this last post, I have been pulling my hair out over this until I saw what you wrote!

First, :hello: Welcome to the forums.

Second, please do not resurrect an old thread. Basic rule here is one problem per thread. You can link to an old thread and say something like "These are my exact symptoms."

Besides (appealing to your self interest), you get more points by starting your own thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.