Can PCI-e 16x slots be used for PCI-e 1x cards?

Frisbee

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
Hello people;

I think that I have an interesting question which could "puzzle" most of us:

I am about to buy a new motherboard,
and I'm in for a big dillemma:
I am not a real gamer,
so I am not (immediately) interested in putting 2 video cards in my pc (SLI or Crossfire).

BUT, as you know, the best motherboards out there are all SLI- or crossfire motherboards with TWO PCI-e 16x slots. :!:
The problem is that those mobos always have 1 PCI or PCI-e 1x slot LESS than mobos which have only 1 PCI-e 16x slot.

So I was wondering:
If I take a mobo with 2 PCI-e 16x slots, and I use only 1 video card,
could I use the other PCI-e 16x slot for a PCI-e 1x interface card?
For instance, a PCI-e 1x TV-tuner card or so.

:idea: I read somewhere that PCI-e 8x slots can be used for PCI-e 4x or even 1x cards, so I'm wondering if the same downward-compatibility goes for PCI-e 16x slots.

In short, I am well willing to pay extra for a good mobo, with a well made BIOS, a perfect board-layout and so forth,
but then I almost have to get a higher-end mobo with dual PCI-e 16x.
Does that mean that I will end up with 1 useless PCI-e 16x slot,
or can I use that slot for cards which use a PCI-e 1x or 4x interface?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Carl

ARM

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
I think you can. Tom's have 2 articles where they taped the connectors on some gfx card to limit bus interface. That worked fine, so I 'm guessing yes.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
If the PCIe x16 slot complies with the regulations set for PCIe and the device does too, it will work.
As always some manufacturers work sloppy and i´ve read about some boards that which PCIe slots can´t scale up or down - or don´t even work properly at all. I´d be cautious if your board has a via chipset (it probably doesn since it features 2x PCIe 16x, but you never know...).

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
From the Googling I did, it appears you can always install a lower lane card (x1 in this case) into a higher lane slot (x16).

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
i just hope you realize that there are plenty of great boards with such features that do not have 2 16x pci express slots. and to answer your question yes as pci express scales.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Here is a very good motherboard with 1 16x and 3 1x slots. Look around because no matter what your perticular needs are I'm sure you can find a board to fit them.

Frisbee

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
And what about SLI and Crossfire?
If you only use 1 video card,
are you still limited to NVidia for SLI and to ATI for crossfire?
Or does this limitation only count if you actually use 2 video cards?

So I mean, can you:
- install 1 ATI video card on an SLI mobo, and
- install 1 NVidia video card on a Crossfire board?

Thanks tou you all for your help.
Carl