Help: Computer hangs during shutdown

My home gateway PC just hangs during power shutdown,
but it goes through OK with the re-start cycle.
During shutdown, it goes thru 'logging off', then 'Saving Your
Settings', then hangs at 'Windows is Shutting down.'
At that point I actually have to press the shutdown switch.
Do I need to set my PC off of the power 'hybernation',
so that it can shutdown normally when I physically
want to turn off power, or does it have anything to do
with that? I am using XP Pro., with SP2 update.
Is there any easy way to fix this shutdown problem ?
Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about help computer hangs shutdown

    You are probably correct. Please check if you have selected hybernation mode
    to b active automatically when your machine shuts down.

    "O Noah" <o_noah@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >My home gateway PC just hangs during power shutdown,
    >but it goes through OK with the re-start cycle.
    >During shutdown, it goes thru 'logging off', then 'Saving Your
    >Settings', then hangs at 'Windows is Shutting down.'
    >At that point I actually have to press the shutdown switch.
    >Do I need to set my PC off of the power 'hybernation',
    >so that it can shutdown normally when I physically
    >want to turn off power, or does it have anything to do
    >with that? I am using XP Pro., with SP2 update.
    >Is there any easy way to fix this shutdown problem ?
    >Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

    See MVP Jim Eshelman's Shutdown Troubleshooter web page for Windows XP
    at http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --