First build in 3 Years - Need Advice

_KC_

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2004
Finally going to retire the AMD Barton 2500 I have been using for past 3 years. So I am a little out of the loop on equipment but been doing some reading past couple of weeks on here.

I currently do not really play any games as I spend most of my free time on the computer playing poker, which isn't demanding on a system. But I do want a system capable of playing the newer games as I may start playing some soon.

Currently run dual 20" LCD's at 1600x1200 but getting ready to get a Dell 30" to run at max resolution (believe thats 2560x1600 or something like that). I am going to keep one of the 20's to sit alongside the 30. So guess I will need some sort of extra vid card to run the 20.

Here is what I have so far. Budget is not a huge deal but I would like to stay around $1500 or so.

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail (Will of course be doing a mild overclock)

Motherboard - MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail (Completely lost to be honest on the motherboard, this one looked nice and has gotten good reviews on NewEgg.)

Case - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail (Case looks cool but there are a couple of others I liked on New Egg also)

Memory - 2GB kit of something, open to suggestions

Graphics - EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail (Little overkill of course for what I currently do but want the ability to do some decent gaming in the future.)

2nd Graphics Card - Looking for suggestions for a secondary card to run my second monitor. Don't need anything fancy at all for it.

Power - AeroCool ZERODBA ZERODBA-S620 EPS 12V & ATX 12V 2.02 compliant with Powerful Dual +12V Rails 620W Power Supply - Retail

Cooling - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

Hard Drives - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM (Not going to use a RAID setup, just like having one drive for OS and programs and use other for storage of media.)

OS - Vista

TIA for any advice anyone can give me. As I mentioned above, I am lost on the motherboard and memory combo's. Current equipment above is roughly $1200, so adding in the memory I should still be under $1400 so I have some room to play.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Rather than 2 cards its probably better to buy one card with a ton of memory.
And tbh with a screen with those resolutions idk how much youll need, the fastest card in the memory departement is the 2900xt which has a version with 1gb of gddr4. So I reccomend that.

FallenSniper

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
Rather than 2 cards its probably better to buy one card with a ton of memory.
And tbh with a screen with those resolutions idk how much youll need, the fastest card in the memory departement is the 2900xt which has a version with 1gb of gddr4. So I reccomend that.

I agree. That card runs hot so you might want to look into additional cooling solutions. I know that case is great with airflow, but you might need even more than that. PCI Slot fans usually aren't the best in the world, but a high quality one might help out here. And there is always water cooling :D