Suggestions for quiet coolers for Q6600 in Antec case?

speedydan

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
I have the following system:

CPU: Q6600 (not overclocked, yet)
MB: MSI 975X Platinum PowerUp Edition
Video: NVidia NX8800GTS 320MB
Case: Antec TX1050B
HD: 2xWD 10,000 RPM, 1xWD 7,200 RMP

Currently using the stock Intel cooler that came with the processor. It seems to be working fine, except it's a bit noisy. Especially since the Antec case has two ventilation holes in the side panel (one for the CPU with an air guide, and one for the video card) that point somewhat in the direction I sit.

The case also has a 120mm fan in the rear and an 80mm fan in the front to cool my 10,000 RPM HD. I have reduced the speed of the case fans a bit and it still feels cool enough (sorry I haven't measured any temps).

Any suggestions for replacing my stock CPU cooler (and possibly the case fans) with a quieter air solution that is at least as effective or more?

One concern I have with choosing the right CPU fan design is the presence of the air guide directly above the CPU. For example, I was looking at the Tunic Tower 120 but its fan is oriented so that it probably wouldn't draw from the air guide effectively.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
For the case fans, you can just go to Newegg, or some other e-tailer, and sort fans by the db's they generate and go from there.
For the cpu, are you open to other forms of cooling besides air?

speedydan

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
For the case fans, you can just go to Newegg, or some other e-tailer, and sort fans by the db's they generate and go from there.

Spikke, thanks for the info. I didn't realize they sorted by db. The hard bit it that sometimes specs are not everything (or even truthful) so I was hoping for some specific experiences. I will take a look again.

For the cpu, are you open to other forms of cooling besides air?

I thought about it, but my computer seems to be working fine so I don't think that I have excess heat (not much, anyway) that warrants the extra expense of non-air cooling. So my main issue is just to quiet it down a bit more and maximise the air cooling.