Sign in with
Your question

PC Won't Boot, Tried Almost Everything...

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2007 1:14:36 AM

Hello everyone, I’m in dire need of some help here. I recently decided to build my own computer, which I kind of regret trying, as it won’t boot or turn on completely.

Specs:
Antec P120B case
Intel C2D E6600
8800gts 320mb
Corsair XMS2 2GB 800 DDR2 memory
Antec True Power Trio 550W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 250gb sata
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 (rev 1.3)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

So I tried turning on the PC, but the fans work for a few seconds and then stop, and repeats. There’s nothing on the screen, nor any beeps. I believe that it may be a short from the motherboard now after a month of testing/trial and errors.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the motherboard, so I RMA’d it. Got the replacement, same problem. Bought a 600W PSU to see if the PSU had enough power… no fix. Took my old computer’s hard drives and did some switching etc, still nothing. Bought a new GPU (8600 GTS) to see if it was a bad GPU, same exact thing.

My last guess would either be the motherboard (again) or the E6600 CPU. I did a search on the motherboard through the forums and several people said that the “back metal plate” of the motherboard may be too close or touching the case’s tray which may be causing a short. So I tried taping some electrical tape to the back of the case and nothing changed. I tried putting some risers to lift the motherboard higher but the I/O panel then shifts too far.

I honestly have tried everything to fix this thing, but I’m right back where I started with – nothing. I also tried the whole “build computer out of case” thing with the PSU, CPU, GPU, and a stick of RAM on some non-static surface and it did no good.

I’ve been visiting these forums for a while now and I believe the experts here may actually be able to fix this problem ^_^! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks~

BTW if screenshots are needed I can try taking some pictures. I had a friend help me spot check everything to see if I had plugged anything in wrong and he said it was fine, but I’m getting a bit skeptical.

More about : boot

June 23, 2007 2:39:12 AM

Have you tried resetting the cmos? Sometime you need to do that to a new MB. It's rare though. Also make sure that the jumper isn't shorted (check your mb manual for your settings)

You can also try only booting with one stick of ram, video card, and monitor? If you get a display, there will also be a warning message saying no hard drive detected, but you can still get into the bios.

One more thing, if you don't already have one, get a pc speaker. This way you'll hear some beeps when you have a booting issue. This will deffintly help will narrowing the problem.

Hope this helps :) 
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
June 23, 2007 3:29:29 AM

I have a revision 2.0 version of that motherboard, and it is at least 6 months old. Is there a reason that you have a revision 1.3? I don't see that in the gigabyte web site. Assuming it's a typo:
Take the motherboard out of the case, and put it on top of the anti-static packing envelope if you still have it. Attach only the minimum needed to boot; psu,vga-card, and one stick of memory. Try to power it on.
Related resources
June 23, 2007 3:57:36 AM

i would try a different processor since that is the only thing you haven't tried yet. Also, since you are getting no beeps, make sure you have the speaker connection turned the right way. I have reversed that connection before and that can cause it not to work. Make sure the right end of the connector is on the positive pin.

Also, rev. 1.3 just came out a couple months ago. the link on the gigabyte site seems to have been discontinued. You can, however, download the manual for it from their site, and it is available for purchase on newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm not sure what the difference is besides, FSB 1333 support and not supporting FSB 533, other than that, I think it is the same as rev. 3.3
June 23, 2007 4:24:38 AM

Quote:
Hello everyone, I’m in dire need of some help here. I recently decided to build my own computer, which I kind of regret trying, as it won’t boot or turn on completely.

Specs:
Antec P120B case
Intel C2D E6600
8800gts 320mb
Corsair XMS2 2GB 800 DDR2 memory
Antec True Power Trio 550W PSU
Seagate Barracuda 250gb sata
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 (rev 1.3)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

So I tried turning on the PC, but the fans work for a few seconds and then stop, and repeats. There’s nothing on the screen, nor any beeps. I believe that it may be a short from the motherboard now after a month of testing/trial and errors.

At first I thought there was something wrong with the motherboard, so I RMA’d it. Got the replacement, same problem. Bought a 600W PSU to see if the PSU had enough power… no fix. Took my old computer’s hard drives and did some switching etc, still nothing. Bought a new GPU (8600 GTS) to see if it was a bad GPU, same exact thing.

My last guess would either be the motherboard (again) or the E6600 CPU. I did a search on the motherboard through the forums and several people said that the “back metal plate” of the motherboard may be too close or touching the case’s tray which may be causing a short. So I tried taping some electrical tape to the back of the case and nothing changed. I tried putting some risers to lift the motherboard higher but the I/O panel then shifts too far.

I honestly have tried everything to fix this thing, but I’m right back where I started with – nothing. I also tried the whole “build computer out of case” thing with the PSU, CPU, GPU, and a stick of RAM on some non-static surface and it did no good.

I’ve been visiting these forums for a while now and I believe the experts here may actually be able to fix this problem ^_^! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks~

BTW if screenshots are needed I can try taking some pictures. I had a friend help me spot check everything to see if I had plugged anything in wrong and he said it was fine, but I’m getting a bit skeptical.

i think you have a problem with ram. that board requires 1.8v to boot up.
June 23, 2007 5:17:12 AM

This might be a silly question to ask you. But when mounting the motherboard inside the case, did you use Standoff's???
June 23, 2007 7:05:59 AM

@Rogue77777 - to reset the CMOS is to take the little jumper out right? I haven't tried that on the replacement board, but I did on the first one. I'll try it again then! And yeah, I tried the booting thing with the basic components and it still didn't work. As for the speakers, I have an old set from my computer I'll try to plug in.

@geofelt - I got the motherboard from Newegg.com in Jedi's link, I also don't know the difference with the revisions really. And yep, I put the mobo on the little non-static bag and it had the same turn-on-turn-off problem as before.

@Jedi490 - That's my next plan: to get a different processor if all else fails and I'll keep the speaker connection thing in mind when I try it out!

@htoonthura - so my memory may be incompatible with the mobo?
Here's the one I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

@Yoosty - Yep, I tried mounting the mobo with standoff's (is it aka risers?) and nothing changed unfortunately.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'm going to try to reset the CMOS and plug in the speakers thing next.
June 23, 2007 8:09:48 AM

Quote:
@Rogue77777 - to reset the CMOS is to take the little jumper out right? I haven't tried that on the replacement board, but I did on the first one. I'll try it again then! And yeah, I tried the booting thing with the basic components and it still didn't work. As for the speakers, I have an old set from my computer I'll try to plug in.

@geofelt - I got the motherboard from Newegg.com in Jedi's link, I also don't know the difference with the revisions really. And yep, I put the mobo on the little non-static bag and it had the same turn-on-turn-off problem as before.

@Jedi490 - That's my next plan: to get a different processor if all else fails and I'll keep the speaker connection thing in mind when I try it out!

@htoonthura - so my memory may be incompatible with the mobo?
Here's the one I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

@Yoosty - Yep, I tried mounting the mobo with standoff's (is it aka risers?) and nothing changed unfortunately.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'm going to try to reset the CMOS and plug in the speakers thing next.

Your ram requires minimum 1.9 v. But , your motherboard requires ram with 1.8v. You might want to boot it with 1.8 v ram and see if it can go from there. Hope it helps.
June 23, 2007 8:27:30 AM

heyy i think i have the solution to your problem. a few weeks ago i had the exact same problem and it scared me to hell. i ddnt rma anything cause i ddnt have the time.. so straight to the point. i cant remember 100% but its somthing like this:

waht i did was take the battery out of the mobo for 30secs, then put it back in. then it worked..

somtimes, the ram isnt put in properly and it resets. thats what happend to me the first time then i reset bios. now, if that doesnt work. re build your computer from the ground up. eg, mobo, then cpu double check alignment, then ram etc.. and no, if it was a short the computer shouldnt start up at all.

you sure do have the money dont you? rofl.. another 8600

but yeah some1 said something about reseting the bios so do taht. also, try booting without ram.
June 23, 2007 11:50:53 AM

Hi, about the CMOS resetting, you need to not only take out the jumper but place it on the 2-3 pins for about 10 seconds, then put it back on 1-2.
As for the speakers, they mean the onboard speaker from your mobo/case. That connects to the set of little pins where your power/reset/hdd led also connects, not the speaker system for audio.
Just pointing it out because there seemed to be some miscommunication going on :D 

GL.
June 23, 2007 9:29:54 PM

Quote:
As for the speakers, they mean the onboard speaker from your mobo/case. That connects to the set of little pins where your power/reset/hdd led also connects, not the speaker system for audio

thanks for clearing that up for me. It was a little unclear now that I read it again.

Also, I don't think that it is a memory problem. I bought 2.1v 4-4-4-12 corsair memory and when I put it in the mobo, it set it to 1.8v 5-5-5-12 automatically. I had to up the voltage and timmings to match the specs listed. ctrl+F1 at main bios screen to access memory settings in case you didn't know.
June 24, 2007 2:00:58 AM

Thanks so much for the help!! Turns out it was my motherboard all along. I just took out the battery and cleared CMOS, plugged everything back in and it actually booted! If I had done that in the first place I wouldn't have had to replace practically every part of the system -_-

Well now that I got the computer to boot (thanks to you nice fellas!), the next step would be to install the OS (Windows XP here) and then the motherboard, video card, ect. drives right?
June 24, 2007 2:15:37 AM

Yep. Your on the right track. Happy trails :)  and don't hesitate to ask for any more help.
!