Intel PRO GT 1000 + Vista64 = no WAN

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I have a box running an intel PRO GT 1000 pci card (onboard got cooked by lighting....:( ) and Vista 64. The card works in another computer running XP 32 bit but I cannot get it to connect to the internet on the Vista 64 system. I temporarily scavenged a realtek cheapo out of another computer and put it into the Vista64 system and I immediately get a connection out to the internet. When I swap the intel PRO GT 1000 card back in .....no connection. I have downloaded the latest/greatest drivers straight from intel's site and still no WAN. I tried playing with settings that I could find/know of but to no benefit. If anyone has any ideas please help me....this is driving me nuts and I don't want to have to buy yet another card simply because there is some simple setting I don't know of!

Thanks in advance for the replies!

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Are you using X64 bit VISTA drivers? I have a 3com nic that will not run in vista 64 at all also. Was told by 3 com the card is not vista compliant.

Does device manager even show the card when you install it? Does it show multiple copies of it? When you install it do you get a connection link on the back of card and in vista?

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
Yes...I get a connection to the router, the back of the card indicates there is activity, the port on the switch is not dead (I am going through a switch down to a router...several other computers including this one when running XP have no problem getting through the switch) and I am also using the 64 bit drivers provided by Intel. The card shows up in device manager and only shows up once...not multiple times. This is all very strange and don't know what to make of it. I have a run-of-the-mill 3com 10/100 card I am going to try next. I bet it will get out without problem. I am thinking its just the driver despite that Intel just updated the driver for the Intel PRO 1000 GT desktop adapters.

BTW I have the PCI version of this card not the PCI-express version. Not that it should matter.

Thanks for the reply and let me know if you find out anything about your 3com

TRENDING THREADS