Attachment download time goofup.

I'm a newcomer to DSL, still using AOL (AOL 7.0) because I am used to it. My
download time on a given attachment is 4 1/2 minutes using the AOL software.
Download time on the same file using the Web Browser (www.aol.com) is only 1
1/2 minutes. Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:51:01 -0700, Breadstick wrote:

> I'm a newcomer to DSL, still using AOL (AOL 7.0) because I am used to it. My
> download time on a given attachment is 4 1/2 minutes using the AOL software.
> Download time on the same file using the Web Browser (www.aol.com) is only 1
> 1/2 minutes. Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.

You'll need to contact AOL tech support for an explanation. Based on what
you've posted, you've already found a workaround: Don't use the AOL
software for downloading.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

The AOL software is placing a bandwidth usage limitation. Not unusual, they
do this to limit and control the flow of traffic on their lines. As Sharon
has noted, you already have a workaround. Most find that AOL software is
cumbersome and limiting, not to mention expensive, and eventually ditch it
in favor of other web interfaces (IE, firefox, etc.).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm a newcomer to DSL, still using AOL (AOL 7.0) because I am used to it.
> My
> download time on a given attachment is 4 1/2 minutes using the AOL
> software.
> Download time on the same file using the Web Browser (www.aol.com) is only
> 1
> 1/2 minutes. Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.

Hi- I think that you and Sharon are on the right track about AOL Thanks for
the reply.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> The AOL software is placing a bandwidth usage limitation. Not unusual, they
> do this to limit and control the flow of traffic on their lines. As Sharon
> has noted, you already have a workaround. Most find that AOL software is
> cumbersome and limiting, not to mention expensive, and eventually ditch it
> in favor of other web interfaces (IE, firefox, etc.).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a newcomer to DSL, still using AOL (AOL 7.0) because I am used to it.
> > My
> > download time on a given attachment is 4 1/2 minutes using the AOL
> > software.
> > Download time on the same file using the Web Browser (www.aol.com) is only
> > 1
> > 1/2 minutes. Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.

Hi- As I posted to "Nutcase", I feel you both have right idea about AOL.
Thanks for the reply.

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:51:01 -0700, Breadstick wrote:
>
> > I'm a newcomer to DSL, still using AOL (AOL 7.0) because I am used to it. My
> > download time on a given attachment is 4 1/2 minutes using the AOL software.
> > Download time on the same file using the Web Browser (www.aol.com) is only 1
> > 1/2 minutes. Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.
>
> You'll need to contact AOL tech support for an explanation. Based on what
> you've posted, you've already found a workaround: Don't use the AOL
> software for downloading.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User