Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Opening programs

Last response: in Windows 7
August 14, 2011 12:11:02 AM

How can i make programs such as malwarebytes open without the annoying message saying "Do you want the following program to make changes to your computer?"

More about : opening programs

a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 14, 2011 12:20:01 AM

The only way to do that is to turn off UAC, but that leaves you vulnerable to malware that use administrative rights to install itself onto your computer without your knowledge.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2011 12:35:34 AM

_^ +1
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2011 1:32:37 AM

so you guys and everyone/else deals with it? Isn't there a way for you to make specific programs not have that message?
m
l

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 14, 2011 3:47:27 PM

If the program requires administrative privileges and you run it manually, then you get the prompt. I typically run programs that require the prompt no more than a couple times a day, so it's not a big deal to me. And I run with a non-admin account, which means I need to type my password in each time it happens.

The UAC prompt is like a peephole in your front door. Most people wouldn't open their front door at the sound of a knock without first looking through the peephole to see who's there. The UAC prompt lets you see what program you're "letting into the system" to perform admin functions before it actually gets in.

Software that regularly requires admin privileges and is expected to be used often should be designed so that the privileged part of it runs as a service. That way you can interact with an unprivileged interface that communicates with the privileged service the the background. This is how Microsoft Security Essentials works, and why it doesn't issue the UAC prompt when you use it.
August 14, 2011 4:22:29 PM

Best answer selected by geis.
m
l
!