Solution
Hi dolt61,

There should not be any write-protection on a cd-rw if you are using the same program (such as In-CD) which produced it in the first place. If you no longer have the program installed on your computer, then you will not be able to write to that disc any longer. Also, if someone else wrote to the disc in their computer, your computer may not be able to write to the same disc because the different drives are not quite universally standardized.

You could however, copy the contents of the disc over onto a CD R/W of your own making and then you should have no problem writing to it in the future.

Hope this helped.

Cheers!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi dolt61,

There should not be any write-protection on a cd-rw if you are using the same program (such as In-CD) which produced it in the first place. If you no longer have the program installed on your computer, then you will not be able to write to that disc any longer. Also, if someone else wrote to the disc in their computer, your computer may not be able to write to the same disc because the different drives are not quite universally standardized.

You could however, copy the contents of the disc over onto a CD R/W of your own making and then you should have no problem writing to it in the future.

Hope this helped.

Cheers!

Solution

dolt61

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Someone else made the CD but I do not know if they had used my computer or not. It happened while my daughter lived here and it had several rap songs on it which I was trying to erase. If she was the one who locked it, I have since reformatted my computer and installed a different OS. I'm not even sure which program she used to make the CD and since then (it's a long story) she's been banished from the house. I just destroyed it, and moved on to another one. I have a number of blanks. Serves me right for letting her live here. All she did was take advantage of her dad; a full grown woman with her own kid.
I guess I was just trying to find out how to do it should it come up in the future again.
Thanks for the answer tho.

dolt61

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Actually, I did not receive an answer to my question which was applicable to me. I understand that the answer given by digitalprospecter was the best I could get but it didn't really solve my problem as I believe that this cd was burned on a different system than mine (or so I can figure). As it wasn't anything that I wished to keep for myself and only was trying to be able to reuse the cd again, I just decided to not be so anal about being so frugal about the cd and just destroyed it. I wish to thank digitalprospector for both of his/her answers and hopefully will ask a question in the future that will not be such a head scratcher for anyone. Thanks to anyone who took the time to be able to help me.
mam