Messed up system, possibly registry problems... please help.

JWL94

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Every time I open a program or file vista asks me to choose a program to open with, it does this with most things, internet browsers, games, command prompt, etc...
The programs it doesn't ask me to do this on are windows defender, windows sidebar, windows mobility and programs along those lines.
When i open google chrome for example it comes up with the box open with, i then have to browse through the menus until i find where chrome is installed or where another copy of it exists and open it through that, this will then open chrome with 'about:blank' in the address bar. t also downloads an executable file (may not download, may just be chrome trying to open chrome...).
Also whenever i try and download a file it will download and i will be able to see it in the download bar on chrome but when i try and open it it just says 'opening *file*' and nothing will happen.
I've try downloading Ccleaner but the above happens and prevents me installing it.
Another problem i have is that it has removed all the programs from the bottom right of the taskbar apart from windows updates, security alerts, battery level, internet status, speaker volume and time/date (so basicly all the windows programs that are sometimes down there and the acer programs).
Also Spotify will not open in the way described above :'( and a box comes up saying: Invalid option: C:\Program Files\Spotify\spotify.exe
I think it was a virus that did this although I have AVG 9 free running (mind you not sure how old that is...). I ran a scan with Malwarebytes AntiMalware and a trojan showed up Vendor: Trojan.Agent Category: Registry Key Items: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\gxvxcserv.sys Reference #:99862

Any help would really be appreciated, even if it fixes only one of these problems, ty, Jacob

michaelmoore

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
hey,

you can try Advanced System Optimizer it has various tools to clean n optimize your registry, provides spyware protection and many other utilities.

I too use it and its working fine, i read about it in CNET.

may be it can help you.

you can download it from

(http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-System-Optimizer/3000-2094_4-10147659.html?tag=mncol)

GunBladeType-T

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

What U might have to do, to remove the Virus is delete it with a program on MS site if Listed or google search, than delete any references to it with a control F in regedit. For issues were your system runs goofy try last good known configuration f-8 before system boots up or system restore as a next step. Worst comes to worst you might need to reformat and reinstall OS