Closed

How to play .264 files

i have a DVR it backups its files in .264 file format.
when imported on my laptop running Windows 7 (and XP dual boot) it cannot play it with any player...
i have tryed: VLC, Mediaplayer Classic, K-lite Codec, CCCP.

Plz i need urgent help.
12 answers Last reply
More about play files
  1. The import may have not worked i.e. you have a corrupted file. It might be worthwhile trying to import it again.

VLC should be able to play .264 files but seemingly the decoder needs to use a significant amount of CPU power to play back high def content. What's your laptop spec?
  2. my laptop is HP N6400
    2GHz core 2
    2 GB Ram
    80gb HD

i also tried it on my PC.
    3.07ghz Core i3
    2 GB Ram
    500gb HD
  3. I'd expect it to be ok on the i3.

What does VLC say when you try and open the file?

Have you tried doing the import again?
  4. VLC tries to play it by changing the video screen size but stops after that!
  5. moxin said:
    i have a DVR it backups its files in .264 file format.
    when imported on my laptop running Windows 7 (and XP dual boot) it cannot play it with any player...
    i have tryed: VLC, Mediaplayer Classic, K-lite Codec, CCCP.

Plz i need urgent help.
  6. Moxin can u explain more about your DVR backup how do you get it?

7. I have the same problem too. I cant play back the video I saved from my DVR, though I have not installed CCCP (already downloaded) nor VLC. So far I have tried playing the video on Windows Media Player 12 (on my 2nd Gen Core i5 2410M running Windows Home Premium). Everything plays fine on the Linux-based DVR.

It just cant play it on Windows Media PLayer. I have read on the internet that Windows Media Player Classic can play this without any external codec, driver or anything. I do not have Classic on my laptop. Why wouldn't it work on Media Player 12 if it works on Classic?

Please assist. Thanks.
  8. I use VLC all the time for my .264 format files. I've never had a proble, which is why it may be related to your hardware as RIP has suggested.
  9. Actually I have the same opinion as skipper86, I think you can try to use KMPlayer, because I had used KMPlayer for several years, and find this media player is so powerful!

And if you want to use Windows Media Player to playback this video. I suggest you to download a codec package, like as windows 7 codec pack - http://www.windows7codecs.com/

After I installed it, I can use WMP12 and Windows Media Center to watch MKV video and MT2S video from my camera.
  10. You have to put the .264 file in a container. I use "mkvmerge GUI" a free program on internet.
    You can append several clips and play them with VCL media player.
  11. nikorr said:
    Moxin can u explain more about your DVR backup how do you get it?

it transfer .264 video files to a usb thumb drive.
  12. This topic has been closed by Pyree
Ask a new question

Read More

Multimedia Apps