upgraded to XP from Win98 and now OS dosen't recognize sec..

My bios recognizes the second drive but Windows XP doesn't recognize the
second drive any longer. How can I fix this problem? It worked after I
initially upgraded.

Thanks in advance for any help.
13 answers Last reply
More about upgraded win98 dosen recognize

    "Pawz" <pawz@home.com> wrote in message
    > My bios recognizes the second drive but Windows XP doesn't recognize the
    > second drive any longer. How can I fix this problem? It worked after I
    > initially upgraded.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.

    Did you go into Disk Management and see if you could re-initialize the drive
    from there?

    I'm not sure where I can re-initialize it. I tried rescanning the disks but
    that didn't do anything and just displays my current boot drive and cd-rom
    drive. XP still does not recognize second hard drive. :(

    > "Pawz" <pawz@home.com> wrote in message
    >> My bios recognizes the second drive but Windows XP doesn't recognize the
    >> second drive any longer. How can I fix this problem? It worked after I
    >> initially upgraded.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any help.
    >>
    > Did you go into Disk Management and see if you could re-initialize the
    > drive from there?

    Update...although I did find it listed as working properly under "disk
    properties"...strange...any help is appreciated....

    "Pawz" <pawz@home.com> wrote:

    >Update...although I did find it listed as working properly under "disk
    >properties"...strange...any help is appreciated....

    What drive letter is it assigned according to Disk Management?

    What does Windows Explorer show for that drive letter?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    According to disk management there is not a drive letter listed, but I found
    it listed under the boot drive (c:) under properties and the hardware tab
    which says it is in location 1 (1) and working properly...but disk
    management itself, windows explorer and my computer do not show it listed as
    a seperate drive anywhere.

    Any help is greatly appreciated...

    "Pawz" <pawz@home.com> wrote:

    >According to disk management there is not a drive letter listed, but I found
    >it listed under the boot drive (c:) under properties and the hardware tab
    >which says it is in location 1 (1) and working properly...but disk
    >management itself, windows explorer and my computer do not show it listed as
    >a seperate drive anywhere.
    >
    >Any help is greatly appreciated...

    Use Start - Run - DISKMGMT.MSC

    Locate the entry for your "missing" drive, right-click on it and
    assign it a drive letter.

    Good luck

    "Pawz" <pawz@home.com> wrote:

    >I've gone into disk management and have tried to locate the "missing" drive.
    >It is not listed in disk management. However, I find the drive properties
    >under the hardware tab for the boot drive (c:).
    >
    >How can I assign a drive for it if it does not come up in disk management
    >itself under volume?
    >
    >Attached are the screen shots I am getting...
    >
    >Thanks again for any help!

    How is the second hard drive connected to your computer?

    As the slave drive on the primary IDE channel, with the original drive
    as master drive on that channel?

    It does not appear that Maxtor drives use a different jumper setting
    for "stand alone master driver" and for "master with slave present"
    but it still would not hurt to double check the jumper settings on
    both drives and ensure that they are correct. Note that if you are
    using "Cable select" settings then you should use these on both drives
    if they are on the same cable.

    If the jumper settings are correct and the problem persists then open
    Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager. Click on the +
    sign in front of the Disk drives category to expand the details and
    see what disk drives are listed. Post the list back here.

    Also check all of the categories for any items that have a yellow
    conflict flag or red error flag on them and post the details of that
    back here.

    Good luck

    this solved my problem immediately.. http://tinyurl.com/3d4a

    --
    ttbardjPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

    Thanks, for the info...I wish this would work for me, but I don't even see
    my second drive in disk management. It doesn't show up as "unallocated"
    as in figure 2 on that site
    (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/images/xp_manual1.gif)

    If it would show up, then maybe I could partition it.

    Any other suggestions are appreciated.

    "Pawz" <pawz@home.com> wrote:

    >Hi again,
    >
    >The second drive is set up as the slave drive on the primary IDE channel,
    >with the original drive the master drive. I've tried changing the jumper
    >settings and nothing seems to make a difference. The BIOS still recognizes
    >the drive but XP does not let me access it in My Computer or Disk
    >Management.
    >
    >When I tried to "populate" the drive. I got this message/screen shot, which
    >says the slave drive volume is not found or is unreadable. (see attached)
    >
    >Device Manager shows it as working properly still. (see attached) I can't
    >figure out what to do to get XP to recognize it.
    >
    >Thanks for any further input!

    Okay. Time to get a bit drastic about this.

    1. Reconfigure your drive connections temporarily. Disconnect all of
    the drives that you now have on the Secondary IDE channel (e.g.
    CDROM). Rejumper the old drive as Master and connect it to the
    Secondary IDE cable. Does that work?

    2. If not disconnect your new drive and connect the old drive as the
    Primary IDE master. Ensure that it and the 3.5 diskette drive are the
    only drives that are connected. Boot the computer with a Windows 98
    or Windows Me Startup Disk (www.bootdisk.com) and use FDISK to
    partition the drive.

    I suspect that we may have an incompatibility issue that prevents the
    two drives from working properly when connected as Master and Slave on
    the same IDE channel. Rare, but it does happen, but usually only when
    the drives are from different manufacturers and I believe that both
    your drives are Maxtors.

    Post the results back here.

    Good luck.
    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi Ron,

    Thanks for sticking with me on this issue. I have a question before I
    proceed with options one or two below.

    Doesn't FDISK also format/erase everything on the drive? I want to avoid
    this if possible because I have documents I need to access on it. If nothing
    else hopefully I can try testing the drive on another system or getting the
    files transferred at least before I reformat the drive. In the meantime, I
    will try option one for now.

    Thanks again,
    Patty

    "Pawz" <pawz@home.com> wrote:

    >Hi Ron,
    >
    >Thanks for sticking with me on this issue. I have a question before I
    >proceed with options one or two below.
    >
    >Doesn't FDISK also format/erase everything on the drive? I want to avoid
    >this if possible because I have documents I need to access on it. If nothing
    >else hopefully I can try testing the drive on another system or getting the
    >files transferred at least before I reformat the drive. In the meantime, I
    >will try option one for now.
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >Patty

    FDISK is destructive if you use it to make changes because it does not
    change the existing partition(s). Rather it deletes the existing item
    and then creates a new one.

    But you can use FDISK to just provide information about the partitions
    on a drive. If you just enter FDISK you get a menu of available
    functions including one that displays the existing partition
    information.

    Or you can enter

    FDISK /STATUS

    which just displays the existing partition information in brief
    summary form on the screen and then exits without changing anything.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I haven't had a chance to try these tests out yet...but will try to do this
    weekend.

    > "Pawz" <pawz@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Ron,
    >>
    >>Thanks for sticking with me on this issue. I have a question before I
    >>proceed with options one or two below.
    >>
    >>Doesn't FDISK also format/erase everything on the drive? I want to avoid
    >>this if possible because I have documents I need to access on it. If
    >>nothing
    >>else hopefully I can try testing the drive on another system or getting
    >>the
    >>files transferred at least before I reformat the drive. In the meantime,
    >>will try option one for now.
    >>
    >>Thanks again,
    >>Patty
    >>

    > FDISK is destructive if you use it to make changes because it does not
    > change the existing partition(s). Rather it deletes the existing item
    > and then creates a new one.
    >
    > But you can use FDISK to just provide information about the partitions
    > on a drive. If you just enter FDISK you get a menu of available
    > functions including one that displays the existing partition
    > information.
    >
    > Or you can enter
    >
    > FDISK /STATUS
    >
    > which just displays the existing partition information in brief
    > summary form on the screen and then exits without changing anything.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP