Q6600 or wait for Penryn????

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
ok im a big noob im planning on building a pc (my first build) and it wont be till October... since i would be receiving $1400 within that month. but ive been hearing alot of talk about the q6600 and penryn. what would you guys recommend...either purchase q6600 in October or wait for the penryn??

also heard Penryn would be released early 2008...but would the wait for the new penryn be worth it, or should i just purchase the q6600. is the spec's that much of a difference????

please dont forget im a big noob...im new to this so please welcome me to your world ...lol

alpha_channel

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
You could do both, get a Penryn supporting motherboard and a q6600, as they should be cheap enough (the q6600 that is) you could simply upgrade to the new Penryn chip when they are released.

Though it really depends on what you want to do with your new PC, if it's gaming don't bother, get the Penryn supporting motherboard and a cheap Core 2 Duo (then upgrade when they come out). If you want to do more, like 3D rendering, video work, etc... (like me) then a q6600 wouldn't be so bad, keep the chip for 6-12 months then simply upgrade to the newer Penryn core when they've come down in price a bit (the chances are that upon first release the Penryn chips are likely to be a bit pricey simply due to the mad rush to get the new chip, supply and demand'll dictate chip prices to begin with).

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
q6600 and the c2d wont make that much of a difference since most of the games wont take advantage of the 2 cores...let alone 4. right? so a c2d will do fine till next summer or fall? well on a pure gaming pc. either CS:S or WWC and FEAR. i dont do much of video editing or 3d stuff, so seems like your right c2d would do me fine. can anyone give me a link or if available on the spec's of penryn and date of shippment to public. Thank You.

oh yea and where can i find a penryn supporting mobo? or which is an alright mobo supporting penryn.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
While games wont support 4cores properly it certainly wont do em any harm.

There is bound to be a performance boost somewhere. 8mb cache is nice.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Socket 775 OEM Processor and a FREE XFX nForce 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard (A+ Version)

$499.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3189364&Sku=MBM-680I-Q6600

I want!!! :cry:

-mcg

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40GHz Socket 775 OEM Processor and a FREE XFX nForce 680i SLI NVIDIA Socket 775 ATX Motherboard (A+ Version)

$499.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3189364&Sku=MBM-680I-Q6600

I want!!! :cry:

-mcg
It'll be cheaper in about a month when Intel cuts it's prices. That board costs $200 at TigerDirect and the processor will be around ~$250.

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
though a quad does sound nice to build for a gaming pc...i rather just hold off on the quad and go for the E6750 since gaming would be all ill be using the pc for. no video editing, 3D rendering or anything like that. Pure Gaming. than once the penryn goes down in price hopefully by next summer ill upgrade. thanks guys. i started from q6600 and ended up thinking of getting the C2D (e6750)....haha. nice, oh well.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
If all you do is game, then, right now, there's not really much reason to have a quad core when you can get a dual core at the same price range running a higher clock.

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
right right...that's what i was thinking. can anybody give me a link to the specs of the penryn if available. i actually went on newegg and zipzoom to find the giga p35 ds4 and nothing. help with a link also please.. thank you.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
though a quad does sound nice to build for a gaming pc...i rather just hold off on the quad and go for the E6750 since gaming would be all ill be using the pc for. no video editing, 3D rendering or anything like that. Pure Gaming. than once the penryn goes down in price hopefully by next summer ill upgrade. thanks guys. i started from q6600 and ended up thinking of getting the C2D (e6750)....haha. nice, oh well.

Thats good planning. Most software available right this moment, including games, do not make full use of multicore CPUs. That is in the process of changing, especially with the next generation of games, in which the physics are taking a huge leap foward. The next gen games with improved physics will require immense processing power for calculating particle velocities, mass, (force) impacts, rebounds etc. The only way to make full use of all the environmental options in next gen games will be to use add on physics cards or multi core cpus (dont waste money on a physics card, they're more gimmick than anything else) so while your better off looking for higher clock speed CPUs rather than higher # cores right now, in the not to distant future that will reverse.

Buying a mobo that will be upgadable to next gen multi-core CPUs (Penryn) is a smart way to go. On the CPU side, as the price war rages on between AMD and Intel, who knows what will happen. The Q6600s should be under $300 come July 22, but who knows how much more prices will sink or rise if demand is high enough. If you're definitanely going to build in october, Id spend more time worrying about the graphic card options and mobos than CPUs. Then again, you may consider waiting a bit longer to see what happens with ATI and its drivers vs Nvidia. If I recall correctly, I beleive I saw that Nvidia intends to release its next gen GPU in novemeber for the Xmas sale period. That could change a lot of things IRT gaming. If nothing else, it should drives prices down on the 8800s quite a bit.

In any event, I wouldnt wait for Penryn. If it were me, Id stick the money in the bank, let it collect interest, wait untill december, then go with the 6750 a P35 mobo, and the best video card I could get. That way I would be prepared with an upgradable system for the Penryns when they came out

jonbonwolf

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
I just ordered C2D E4300 1.8G , & GIGABYTE GA-P35. When the price goes down in 6-12 Months then I will get the best value Quad thats out.
They over clock well and I only paid $117. I will then sell the CPU for $50 or so. This way I'm saving some cash.

Cheers

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
hmmm you have a good point turpit...i should wait till the 8800's go down in price. only a month more. maybe ill wait till thanksgiving...than ill thank myself for waiting...imagine...p35 ds4 mobo, E7650, 8800('s) gpu, 2gig and so on...for much much cheaper just by waiting 5months....oh man...aint that some shhhhi.......lol.....at first i was thinking of going w/ati crossfire gpu's but since i heard nothing but bad reviews on there most current card....i thought about it and im prolly going w/nvidia now....but what is nvidia coming out with in november...any links to any page on info to the new gpu? i know i went off main subject but come on its my first build...do you remember your first build and how excited you were.

Labs23

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
It's very nice to wait, there is always virtue in waiting, like me who upgraded to Q6600 last couple months ago, i'm refusing to regret of what i did :? ... But that could have been the point, right now i'm happy with my quad at 3.2 Ghz oc'd... Since then my regrets i have started to vanish slowly, i am now juicing the benefit of my quad... My next stop would be Penryn :) ...

If in case you changed your mind right now, and wants to upgrade at this very moment, i would say, Go for an E6600 if you OC--other than that get a high-clocked C2D, then get a P35 mobo supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 memory(so you won't necessarily need a newer mobo when Penryns' hit retail shelves)... Oh, speaking of ram, imo, whether someone says DDR3s are good nowadays, i would strongly say that don't go for it yet, cost, latency, performance, and availability is a big matter choosing a Memory... DDR3s aren't expected to be a wise choice aka. mainstream until Q3 2008.. And that's more or less a year away... :roll:

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
It's very nice to wait, there is always virtue in waiting, like me who upgraded to Q6600 last couple months ago, i'm refusing to regret of what i did :? ... But that could have been the point, right now i'm happy with my quad at 3.2 Ghz oc'd... Since then my regrets i have started to vanish slowly, i am now juicing the benefit of my quad... My next stop would be Penryn :) ...

If in case you changed your mind right now, and wants to upgrade at this very moment, i would say, Go for an E6600 if you OC--other than that get a high-clocked C2D, then get a P35 mobo supporting both DDR2 and DDR3 memory(so you won't necessarily need a newer mobo when Penryns' hit retail shelves)... Oh, speaking of ram, imo, whether someone says DDR3s are good nowadays, i would strongly say that don't go for it yet, cost, latency, performance, and availability is a big matter choosing a Memory... DDR3s aren't expected to be a wise choice aka. mainstream until Q3 2008.. And that's more or less a year away... :roll:

well im going a bit off subject again...i posted this earlier but which p35 mobo is decent that support ddr2 and ddr3?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
hmmm you have a good point turpit...i should wait till the 8800's go down in price. only a month more. maybe ill wait till thanksgiving...than ill thank myself for waiting...imagine...p35 ds4 mobo, E7650, 8800('s) gpu, 2gig and so on...for much much cheaper just by waiting 5months....oh man...aint that some shhhhi.......lol.....at first i was thinking of going w/ati crossfire gpu's but since i heard nothing but bad reviews on there most current card....i thought about it and im prolly going w/nvidia now....but what is nvidia coming out with in november...any links to any page on info to the new gpu? i know i went off main subject but come on its my first build...do you remember your first build and how excited you were.

NP, the next GPU due out from Nvidia is the G92. It is just so much rumour right now, but if the rumours are true, it should be here in time for xmas sales season - so Thanksgiving-ish. And, if the rumours are true, it will be a 3x more powerful than Nvidias current GPUs, HOWEVER, the root report seems to originate from the Inquirer, so its accuracy is questionable

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=5361

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39829

Given all the BS and FUD surrounding the ATI 2900 series cards, and the 2900s power consumption/waste heat vs the Nvidia 8800s, personally, if I had to buy a card right now, I would go with the Nvidias, and Ive used nothing but ATI's since Diamond got out of the game --- though they have recently got back in as ATI GPU based builder.

Im sure someone pointed it out already: Theres always something better just a few months out, so no matter how long you wait, there is always reason to wait a little longer. At some point you just have to bite the bullet and accept the fact that no matter what you buy, in a matter of months it will either be cheaper or antiquated. But right now the times are wierd. Both ATI and Nvidia have not been having a great time dealing with DX10, but whether anyone likes it or not, MS is forcing it down everyones throats. More time with DX10 means better drivers and DX10 solutions from both vendors. Additionally, both AMD and Intel have new CPUs due out soon. With all the change going on, there are bound to be problems, so the longer you wait, the more time there is for all the manufacturers and MS to get their stuff ironed out. Personally, having dealt with the hardware problems caused by the switch from DOS/win 3.1 to Win95, and win 95 to win 98, and win 98 to win XP, nothing ATI or Nvidia has right now interests me, but the Nividia G92(Q407) and the ATI 55nm parts(Q108) do. 55nm should do a fair amount for ATIs GPUs, and both manufacturers next gen parts should work well with DX10, if not being prepped for DX10.1

So all things considered, right now is a particularly good time to wait. October should be a good time, but november should be even better. A little patience when the time comes should pay big dividends for you.

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

NP, the next GPU due out from Nvidia is the G92. It is just so much rumour right now, but if the rumours are true, it should be here in time for xmas sales season - so Thanksgiving-ish. And, if the rumours are true, it will be a 3x more powerful than Nvidias current GPUs, HOWEVER, the root report seems to originate from the Inquirer, so its accuracy is questionable

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=5361

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39829

Given all the BS and FUD surrounding the ATI 2900 series cards, and the 2900s power consumption/waste heat vs the Nvidia 8800s, personally, if I had to buy a card right now, I would go with the Nvidias, and Ive used nothing but ATI's since Diamond got out of the game --- though they have recently got back in as ATI GPU based builder.

Im sure someone pointed it out already: Theres always something better just a few months out, so no matter how long you wait, there is always reason to wait a little longer. At some point you just have to bite the bullet and accept the fact that no matter what you buy, in a matter of months it will either be cheaper or antiquated. But right now the times are wierd. Both ATI and Nvidia have not been having a great time dealing with DX10, but whether anyone likes it or not, MS is forcing it down everyones throats. More time with DX10 means better drivers and DX10 solutions from both vendors. Additionally, both AMD and Intel have new CPUs due out soon. With all the change going on, there are bound to be problems, so the longer you wait, the more time there is for all the manufacturers and MS to get their stuff ironed out. Personally, having dealt with the hardware problems caused by the switch from DOS/win 3.1 to Win95, and win 95 to win 98, and win 98 to win XP, nothing ATI or Nvidia has right now interests me, but the Nividia G92(Q407) and the ATI 55nm parts(Q108) do. 55nm should do a fair amount for ATIs GPUs, and both manufacturers next gen parts should work well with DX10, if not being prepped for DX10.1

So all things considered, right now is a particularly good time to wait. October should be a good time, but november should be even better. A little patience when the time comes should pay big dividends for you.

Ok since im willing to wait...what setup would be best for future build...p35 mobo, intel E6750, and a 8800('s) now what type of memory would be best for a thanksgiving build...anything new coming out..(i know depends what your mobo is compatible w/but which memory fits best for gaming on a decent p35 mobo.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Ok since im willing to wait...what setup would be best for future build...p35 mobo, intel E6750, and a 8800('s) now what type of memory would be best for a thanksgiving build...anything new coming out..(i know depends what your mobo is compatible w/but which memory fits best for gaming on a decent p35 mobo.

Well, as far as man/type, its really going to depend on what mobo you choose. A lot of folks will stick religiously to one brand, or go with the best bargain, but honestly, when you decide on a mobo, you should go to the manufacturers website and D/L the manual. In it you should find a list of qualified memory modules for use with that particluar board. You should pick from whatever modules are listed there, as there have been instances of certain brands/SKUs of ram not working properly with certain mobo/chipsets. The most recent problems I can recall (if I remember correctly) were certain OCZ modules having problems with Asus p5wdh mobos. You may also have to deal with the DDR2 or DDR3 choices depending on the mobo.

As far as ram clockspeed speed and overclockability - well as far as speed goes, faster is better - up to the limit your mobo will support. Overclockability depends on the individual modules, but also on the mobo - bus speed, voltage etc.

Seeing a trend yet? At this point, the C2Ds are proven fast and reliable CPUs. The Nvidias have been around long enough to be known quantities. Ram - most DDR2 modules are known quanities. Everything revolves around the mobo you choose, and that will be your most important choice as it is the foundation of the system. the P35s are an unknown quantity right now. By the time youre ready to build, they will have been around long enough to know whether they are worthwhile investments, or whether driver updates arent enough to fix any problems they may have.