sergio

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
On the PC I just built I have dual gigabit ethernet built in the mobo.
On my old PC I have a Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection
and would like to have a small hardwired network between the 2 PCs

I assume coming out of my broadband modem I will have to get a gigabit
switch because of the Gigabit ethernet in the new PC but what happens
when I connect from that fast switch to the slower Intel Pro/100 ? on my
old PC, am I going to be able to network with that old Pc? will that Gigabit
switch work with the Intel Pro/100?
And if anyone would recommend a reliable swich that would be helpful.
Thank you.

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
??????????????

Why have a hardwire to the other PC if they are tied to the same switch/router? The PC will not go out the hardwire if trying to get files off the other slow PC and try to use the other nic for internet. Both PC's will have the same gateway for internet access and thats how it will commincate to the other PC. The gig card will auto sense down to the slowest connection it can read from its connection port. Which will be the intel 100. If you buy a gig switch just make sure the port are set to auto not 100 or 1000.

If the other PC will not be on the internet then yes you can hardwire it and give it a different IP address and gateway other than the one you are using for interent access.

bravo29

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
??????????????

Why have a hardwire to the other PC if they are tied to the same switch/router? The PC will not go out the hardwire if trying to get files off the other slow PC and try to use the other nic for internet. Both PC's will have the same gateway for internet access and thats how it will commincate to the other PC. The gig card will auto sense down to the slowest connection it can read from its connection port. Which will be the intel 100. If you buy a gig switch just make sure the port are set to auto not 100 or 1000.

If the other PC will not be on the internet then yes you can hardwire it and give it a different IP address and gateway other than the one you are using for interent access.

Vercingetorix

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
bravo, thanks for the reply, poor explanation on my part, meant going thru switch to both PC versus wirelessly, wilco on the setting of ports.