How to find passwords in regedit in win 7

where do I find the passwords in windows 7, regedit?
9 answers Last reply
More about find passwords regedit
  1. Are you trying to retrieve a password that you've forgotten?
  2. No, I'm trying to find where admin. passwords, and saved passwords are stored.
  3. C:\Windows\System32\config\SAM
  4. Well I found this but now I can't open it, The file is already open or in use by another appliction.
  5. You can't open it directly while Windows is operating. Even if you could all you'd see is a long hash string encryption. The passwords are encrypted so no text of the passwords even exists.

If you still want the hash strings, use a Live Linux boot CD to extract the file. It's still just gibberish but at least you'd have the encrypted hash. You could then use a decryption program.

By the way, if this is for Windows 7, why did you create the thread in the Windows XP section?
  6. Thanks for the info and as for the thread in the wrong section, I didn't know that I did put it in the XP section. Again thanks a bunch.
  7. TheViper said:
    Are you trying to retrieve a password that you've forgotten?

Yes, How do I Retrieve a password that I've forgotten?
  8. Quote:
    Yes, How do I Retrieve a password that I've forgotten?

If you set a password, XP will have invited you to set a password reminder hint and a reset. If you didn't it's not easy to do and most Forums won't advise you on it in case you're trying to hack someone else's account.
  9. ebay, type password recover, buy with $ then :-) easy
Ask a new question

Read More

Security Windows 7 Regedit Windows XP