Motion Graphic Artist needs help!!

achoman01

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
I am a video editor and compositor by profession, but a pure gamer by heart. I have built a couple computers in the past, and I am currently planning my next build. My past builds have been done with the gamer in mind, but my next one has to include my professional side as well. I need a graphics card from the Nvidia Quadro family in order to run all my programs smoothly, but I also want a fast card, like the Nvidia 8800 GTX/GTS. My question is can I have both cards in my system and somehow hook it up in a way that I can switch which card I want to use through the computer interface instead of physically switching cards, or physically connecting my monitor to whichever card I want to use. If you guys can help me with my dilemma, it will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
You'll need a SLi motherboard, and you willl have to run Windows offof the Quadro, and then you might be able 2 specify in games which card to use (i think, its a guess I don't know)

oh WAIT

I KNOW!!

Get a monitor with dual inputs, and plug one into each gcard, then before playing a game switch to the output on the 8800GTX/S

Before working switch output to th Quadro FX :D

There you are my son (get a good CPU for graphics desiging, as I'm sure you know!)

Hope that helps

You might be able to download a small app that sits in a small window in your screen and you just click to switch displays. Can't remember what it is called

Anyone know?

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Well no one is a GTS and one is a GTX, they are both 8800 version just one is a cheaper version.

The GTS has pretty much no advantage over the GTX...

-------------

EDIT: My mistake mis-read the first post.. thought you wanted to put a GTS and a GTX is the same system.. that would of been extremely pointless

Sorry again :cry:

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
I'd like to be the first to correct you.

The GTS is not the same as the GTX

The main difference is that the GTS has 96 pipelines and GTX has 128

More pipelines = the core can do more with the same speed

Core speed and memory bandwidth are slightly increased, aswell as memory size.

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Have you thought of using a KVM? Or some monitors have dual inputs.

The only problem will be that getting a dual DVI system won't be terribly cheap, but if you've got the money for the funky cards, that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Something like this, is what I was thinking:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3113. I can't offer any opinion on quality...

Clint

Get two monitors, one for each card. Alternatively, if you can use a vga monitor, the IBM P275 21" monitor can attach to two different sources. There is a little switch on the bottom to select which one. You can get one on e-bay for $50 plus shipping.

What are the apps that need the Quadro.

You may be able to do them with a SoftQuadro'ed GF8800GTX.

That IMO would be your best solution allowing you to switch between drivers depending on the task. Also easier than the suggestions above.

Also there's alot simpler methods for monitor or card management should you need two card, but first more info on your needs and also what eisting monitor or requirements you have. Unlike most situations, pro work usually requires cetain minimum levels of hardware.

Heck I'd recommend a P260 and simply cable manage, but I don't know what you use.

achoman01

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
I use Adobe Premiere Pro 2, Photoshop CS2, After Effects 7, and am starting to get some work done in 3dsmax. Most of my work is done in After Effects 7, and thats where the quadro would help me out the most, as my current card (7800gt) is just not cutting it anymore.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116066
This is the monitor that I currently use. I could have one card go to the digital input, and the other to the analog input.......

Important note.... this question was for my next build, which will be in about a month and a half, when prices bottom out. I will definitely be building a system with as many cores as possible. If Intel gets to release an eight-core system soon, that will probably be my choice, as the programs listed above all take advantage of multiple cores, especially when I render projects out.

I had heard about the SoftQuadro program, and actually tried to use it with my 7800gt, but had a negative experience with stability, and just went back to the regular drivers. If anybody has had experience with this program, any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit: thanks for the quick replies

raytracer06

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
I use Adobe Premiere Pro 2, Photoshop CS2, After Effects 7, and am starting to get some work done in 3dsmax. Most of my work is done in After Effects 7, and thats where the quadro would help me out the most, as my current card (7800gt) is just not cutting it anymore.

Premiere, Photoshop and After Effects won't run better with a quadro, since they're 2D software... only 3dsmax will run faster when handling heavy scenes (it won't speed up rendering, however) If you don't use 3dsmax intensively, buying a quadro will just be wasting your money.

Edit : the most important for your apps is a powerful CPU,and a lot of RAM

Actually, Adobe has a list of graphics cards that can accelerate work with After effects... but it seems that a quadro won't run any better than a Geforce :

After Effects and OpenGL

After Effects 7 System Requirements

achoman01

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
I appreciate the help. But I will politely disagree with you. I have had experience with many different NLE's, and the ones with workstation graphic cards, like the quadro, always perform better, and provide better stability, because the software is programmed to take advantage of the additional OpenGL features offered in workstation graphic cards. It also takes a big load off the cpu, which is ultimately the purpose of any graphics card.

http://www.videoguys.com/DIY-GPU.html
a link to recommended graphics cards for NLE's

It is true that an 8800 GTX/GTS will hold its own, but it will not allow me to view as many real-time previews as with a quadro.

3dsmax would take advantage the most of the card, but a program like after effects, which consist of layers upon layers upon layers, having a card which will allow you to preview the effects faster, rather than having to ram preview everything saves time, and time is money (sorry for the bad cliché).

But I will agree that the card has nothing to with rendering, as this is purely processor intensive. Which is why I posted that my next system will have as many cores as possible (if my wallet will permit me)

raytracer06

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
after a bit more research, seems that you're right, and After Effects should run better with a quadro (I didn't think it did rely so much on OpenGL)

The problem is that a quadro is quite expensive... the performance difference between the quadro and the 8800 might not be worth the extra... maybe this money would be better used by buying a better CPU.

There's even an other solution :

since you want to buy a quadro for work and a 8800 for gaming... just start with the 8800 and a SLI-ready motherboard. If you're not satisfied with the performance, then you can still add the quadro. If the 8800 is powerful enough in After Effects... you'll have saved a bit of money

achoman01

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
Thats a good idea. I think I will do that. The price was the deciding factor on my current computer, but I have reached a point where I can afford the quadro. But honestly if I dont have to spend the money, it can be better spent on bills.....

In any case, thanks for all your help, and what is ultimately more important, your time!

Well IMO SoftQuadro is the way to go if it's just after effects and 3DsMax since 3DSMax has been moved to primarily D3D the SoftQuadro'ed GF8800s works well with it (still have a bit of issues with the OGL side of some apps like Rhino, etc). And actually for Maya an X1950XT was better than the GF8800 series which still perform better than older Quadros. So you need to find that balance. Just FYI the nex HD2900 needs alot of driver work before being cosndiered for the pro market, right now it bet stomped usually by the X1950XT which is basically the best value gamer for workstations competing with/above the GF8800s. In general though a Quadro is the way to go for OGL and ATi for D3D mode.

It is a little more work, but a HECK of alot less money for more power.

With the price difference you could finance an Octo-core rig on it's own, which would help the actual render time.

I understand your reservations, but to me it'd be worth the effort of getting it working (once running they're pretty solid, it's just the first coupla days that's the pain), however if you want the best of both world it's either that or 3-4 times as much money. And then you might want to re-examine you card selections.

And to speak to the SLi issues, I know 3DSmax benefits somewhat from SLi (mainly in D3D mode) but it's very minor at best (nothing like MAYA) and still better to get more CPU/Memory speed/power IMO; I'm not sure about after effects. That may be a cheap and most powerful solution that has benefits for both of your concerns.

PS you may already have noticed 3DSMax loves wicked large and fast VRAM so if you do go with the GF8800 get the GTX and nothing less, and even an Ultra would be better than 2 GTXs IMO.

liquidx

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
I would highly recommend doing a little posting in some of the animation forums about this. Not to say people here don't know what they are talking about, but you are more likely to find someone with a similar situation there that could help based on experience vs. speculation. I used to do some animation in maya, but I still used my GF4ti4200 card with that or gaming, but it was just a hobby not a profession so it was no big deal. I know I could see things, what appeared to me, just fine, but i'm sure there is a difference. It could have simply been rendering it using my cpu, I dunno.