Sign in with
Your question
Closed

"security locked" hd... can i unlock or erase it?

Last response: in Storage
June 23, 2007 5:55:39 PM

I recently got a couple of 120gb hard drives from a friend.. they replaced a raid array at work so these drives (and like 5 others) were lying around never to be used again....

i've installed one of them... and no joy... bios see's it but it's not seen by explorer or in disk management...

i ran seagates "seatools" from a floppy and found that the "drive is security locked"... any ideas on how to work around... reformat..etc?
June 24, 2007 10:46:25 PM

I would think the easiest way would be to ask your friend to unlock them if he has the password needed. You could try fdisk to format it off a Floppy
a b G Storage
June 24, 2007 11:41:36 PM

Quote:
I recently got a couple of 120gb hard drives from a friend.. they replaced a raid array at work so these drives (and like 5 others) were lying around never to be used again....

i've installed one of them... and no joy... bios see's it but it's not seen by explorer or in disk management...

i ran seagates "seatools" from a floppy and found that the "drive is security locked"... any ideas on how to work around... reformat..etc?

if you goto seagate's website and download seatools you can get there boot cd and from there write zero's to the hdd to wipe it (everything) - easy way
Related resources
March 21, 2009 11:48:10 PM

Yes the Hard Drive can be erased very easy ive alrdy unlocked and erased 3 westrn digital hard drives.

Problem i had was this bios would read my hard drive full ,but i was not able to access it for partition.
First you need Westrn Digital life guard 5.04 when you get in the boot run a Quick test on your HD its should go and as long as it say No Errors found you good.
Then run Extended Test this should appear "Drive is locked Error Security Enabled"
Or if you write zero to it should say Drive is locked Security enabled.

If that is the case respond and i can walk you trough how simple to Erase the security on the Hard disk so it would become writable and readable .
April 16, 2009 3:37:11 PM

I'm hoping that you can provide information on how to unlock the drive without erasing it. I would like to try to recover the data on the drive.

Thanks.
April 16, 2009 6:11:24 PM

i get a feeling your friend wouldnt appreciate that.
April 17, 2009 4:04:27 PM

huh? would not appreciate what? getting his data back?
June 4, 2009 3:01:57 AM

Rom888 said:
Yes the Hard Drive can be erased very easy ive alrdy unlocked and erased 3 westrn digital hard drives.

Problem i had was this bios would read my hard drive full ,but i was not able to access it for partition.
First you need Westrn Digital life guard 5.04 when you get in the boot run a Quick test on your HD its should go and as long as it say No Errors found you good.
Then run Extended Test this should appear "Drive is locked Error Security Enabled"
Or if you write zero to it should say Drive is locked Security enabled.

If that is the case respond and i can walk you trough how simple to Erase the security on the Hard disk so it would become writable and readable .

Were you able to 'unlock' your hard drive? If so , how did you do it?

Mark

a b G Storage
June 4, 2009 9:09:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Randomizer
!