LFT - the next generation

So what is your impression of the Issue 4 team search features? I like
how you can now specify what kind of team you want, and hopefully when it
says straight out "not looking" as one of many alternatives, more people
will start to take it literally. This does not block /invites, though. I
suspect that when the changes go live, high level tankers will still get
random invites even if their comment field says "NO FLICKING TEAMS I
SAID!". Because if people did not believe their wishes over observed
reality, we would not have civilization as we know it. ^_^* Still, it
should help.

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
> So what is your impression of the Issue 4 team search features?

WHAT!? I4 has other features besides ARENA ARENA ARENA PvP PvP PvP!? I'm
shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

:)

(Yes, I know - I've been on Test. But...)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
>> So what is your impression of the Issue 4 team search features?
>
>WHAT!? I4 has other features besides ARENA ARENA ARENA PvP PvP PvP!? I'm
>shocked! Shocked, I tell you!

I'm hoping they address the Broadcast issue before it goes live.
As in people in the arena but not in a match count as being in the zone
the arena they entered is in, leading to mass amounts of pre-match arena
chat being broadcast over GC, Talos and PI (i'm assuming PI).

Xocyll

Magnus Itland wrote:
> So what is your impression of the Issue 4 team search features? I
> like how you can now specify what kind of team you want ....

Yeah, that looks like a good idea.

> and hopefully when it says straight out "not looking" as one of many
> alternatives, more people will start to take it literally. This does
> not block /invites, though.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll still happen.

Is there still a "default" setting, for folks who may be interested in a
team-up, but who aren't actively looking for anything specific?
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Magnus Itland wrote:
>> So what is your impression of the Issue 4 team search features? I
>> like how you can now specify what kind of team you want ....
>
>Yeah, that looks like a good idea.
>
>> and hopefully when it says straight out "not looking" as one of many
>> alternatives, more people will start to take it literally. This does
>> not block /invites, though.
>
>Yeah, I'm sure it'll still happen.

Sure because stupid and/or lazy people aren't about to suddenly become
non stupid/lazy just because the team search changes.

>Is there still a "default" setting, for folks who may be interested in a
>team-up, but who aren't actively looking for anything specific?

The options are:
Not seeking
Looking for any
Looking for patrol
Looking for missions
Looking for TF
Looking for Trial
Looking for Arena

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> I'm hoping they address the Broadcast issue before it goes live.
> As in people in the arena but not in a match count as being in the zone
> the arena they entered is in, leading to mass amounts of pre-match arena
> chat being broadcast over GC, Talos and PI (i'm assuming PI).

Yowga. The Arenas aren't their own chat zones? That definitely needs
fixing.

--

Xocyll wrote:
> The [issue 4 LFT] options are:
> Not seeking
> Looking for any
> Looking for patrol
> Looking for missions
> Looking for TF
> Looking for Trial
> Looking for Arena

Hrm, that's OK, but I would really like to see a more non-committal
option, i.e., "Wouldn't mind joining a team, if it's fun." That's how I
currently use the default state (not LFT but not hiding either).
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>> I'm hoping they address the Broadcast issue before it goes live.
>> As in people in the arena but not in a match count as being in the zone
>> the arena they entered is in, leading to mass amounts of pre-match arena
>> chat being broadcast over GC, Talos and PI (i'm assuming PI).
>
>Yowga. The Arenas aren't their own chat zones? That definitely needs
>fixing.

Doesn't seem so, which is really, really strange since the arena is a
click-to-enter.
There's also an Arena chat channel, but the broadcast thing seem to
still be there.

I did check it one time (before the match servers were up) and actually
went into the arena lobby via GC - sure enough, there were the players
who i'd seen chatting on broadcast for the previous 5 minutes.

Last time I was testing something on test, I appeared in Talos, and ALL
I heard was arena chat on broadcast - there wasn't anything else.

Xocyll

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Bradd wrote:
>>> Is there still a "default" setting, for folks who may be interested in a
>>> team-up, but who aren't actively looking for anything specific?
>
>Xocyll wrote:
>> The [issue 4 LFT] options are:
>> Not seeking
>> Looking for any
>> Looking for patrol
>> Looking for missions
>> Looking for TF
>> Looking for Trial
>> Looking for Arena
>
>Hrm, that's OK, but I would really like to see a more non-committal
>option, i.e., "Wouldn't mind joining a team, if it's fun." That's how I
>currently use the default state (not LFT but not hiding either).

They'd never put in something as vague as that since no two people are
going to agree what "fun" means.

Besides, under the current system, how do you determine it's going to be
fun _before_ you join.

Your option under I4 will likely be:
Looking for any [comment: If it's fun].

Whereas mine will likely be:
Not seeking [comment: Send a tell, or go to hell]

Xocyll

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

The nice bit is that even if you choose 'Not Seeking' you can enter text
indicating that you wouldn't mind some teaming.

Now the only problem is getting people to use the bloody search options.
Every time I've been on test I've seen alot of people on 'Not
Seeking', alot of people on 'Looking for Any', and a couple people on
'Looking for Arena'. But guess what? The people under 'Looking for Any'
are really looking for arena teams and are just too stinking lazy to
actually use the other options or the text box. Actually had to give up
trying to test a changed power in a PvE group setting because there were
no PvE groups despite a full LFT list.
--
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:09:07 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
into the ether:

>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
>>> I'm hoping they address the Broadcast issue before it goes live.
>>> As in people in the arena but not in a match count as being in the zone
>>> the arena they entered is in, leading to mass amounts of pre-match arena
>>> chat being broadcast over GC, Talos and PI (i'm assuming PI).
>>
>>Yowga. The Arenas aren't their own chat zones? That definitely needs
>>fixing.
>
>Doesn't seem so, which is really, really strange since the arena is a
>click-to-enter.
>There's also an Arena chat channel, but the broadcast thing seem to
>still be there.

Hospitals, City Hall, Icon, Enhancement Stores are all click-to-enter, and
are all in the same chat as their parent zone.

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> Hospitals, City Hall, Icon, Enhancement Stores are all click-to-enter,
> and are all in the same chat as their parent zone.

Which is reasonable, since there's no expectation that you're leaving the
zone when you enter those. Each Arena really should be its own chat zone.

--

Xocyll wrote:
> They'd never put in something as vague as that since no two people are
> going to agree what "fun" means. Besides, under the current system,
> how do you determine it's going to be fun _before_ you join.

By talking to the team leader, duh.

I would expect a "non-committal" option to appear in the user interface
as something like, "Will consider teams, but /tell first."
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:09:07 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> scribed
>into the ether:
>
>>Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
>>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>>say:

>>>Yowga. The Arenas aren't their own chat zones? That definitely needs
>>>fixing.
>>
>>Doesn't seem so, which is really, really strange since the arena is a
>>click-to-enter.
>>There's also an Arena chat channel, but the broadcast thing seem to
>>still be there.
>
>Hospitals, City Hall, Icon, Enhancement Stores are all click-to-enter, and
>are all in the same chat as their parent zone.

None of those is really separate though, and none of them generate chat,
the arena is going to generate loads of it.

Xocyll

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:51:32 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> Hospitals, City Hall, Icon, Enhancement Stores are all click-to-enter,
>> and are all in the same chat as their parent zone.
>
>Which is reasonable, since there's no expectation that you're leaving the
>zone when you enter those. Each Arena really should be its own chat zone.

But that would probably lead to all the arenas being linked together, which
means people using the arena as a shortcut between zones. Cryptic already
"nerfed" the paragon dance hall for that same reason.

"Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Bradd wrote:
>>> Hrm, that's OK, but I would really like to see a more non-committal
>>> option, i.e., "Wouldn't mind joining a team, if it's fun." That's how
>>> I currently use the default state (not LFT but not hiding either).
>
>Xocyll wrote:
>> They'd never put in something as vague as that since no two people are
>> going to agree what "fun" means. Besides, under the current system,
>> how do you determine it's going to be fun _before_ you join.
>
>By talking to the team leader, duh.

How does the talking to the leader tell you how the team is going to
behave.
I've been on teams with some great leaders that also had the ADD type
player that rushed off all the time and made the experience a real
chore.
Talking to one person in advance is not going to tell you it's going to
be fun - unless you're precognitive or something Bradd.

>I would expect a "non-committal" option to appear in the user interface
>as something like, "Will consider teams, but /tell first."

Looking for any, Comment: send a tell first.
Not a big deal.

You're either looking for a team of some flavor, or you're not.
Not looking but will team, is NOT a valid option seems to be what
Cryptic are saying - which makes your stance on the whole Blind Invite
thing a bit moot.

<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>> Hospitals, City Hall, Icon, Enhancement Stores are all click-to-enter,
>> and are all in the same chat as their parent zone.
>
>Which is reasonable, since there's no expectation that you're leaving the
>zone when you enter those. Each Arena really should be its own chat zone.

What is an Arena? Are they physical locations or channels or...?

Charles Riggs --

There are no accented letters in my email address.

Charles Riggs <chriggs@éircom.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:51:32 -0000, Shenanigunner
><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
>
>>Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
>>> Hospitals, City Hall, Icon, Enhancement Stores are all click-to-enter,
>>> and are all in the same chat as their parent zone.
>>
>>Which is reasonable, since there's no expectation that you're leaving the
>>zone when you enter those. Each Arena really should be its own chat zone.
>
>What is an Arena? Are they physical locations or channels or...?
>
>Charles Riggs --
>
>There are no accented letters in my email address.

Currently on live they're just big cleared areas - on the test server
it's an actual building.
In Galaxy City just go east from the brawler, down the stairs and there
it is.
In Talos it's up in the NE corner of the main island.

Once Issue 4 goes live it's a place where players can combat each other.
They can set up matches that are enterable from any of the three arenas.
There will also be a new Arena Chat option.

The problem is, as noted, that entering the arena in each location,
doesn't remove you from the "chat zone" you entered from, so all those
idiots speaking to each other on broadcast about arena things, are
spewing on the whole zone, not just on the other people in the arena.

Kinda like living right next door to a stadium.

Xocyll

Xocyll wrote...
> "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> looked up from reading the
> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> say:

> >Xocyll wrote:
> >> They'd never put in something as vague as that since no two people are
> >> going to agree what "fun" means. Besides, under the current system,
> >> how do you determine it's going to be fun _before_ you join.
> >
> >By talking to the team leader, duh.
>
> How does the talking to the leader tell you how the team is going to
> behave.

Now you're just being dense.

> I've been on teams with some great leaders that also had the ADD type
> player that rushed off all the time and made the experience a real
> chore.

<boggle> How is the person a 'great' leader if they can't either get
the rogue player(s) in line or kick them off the team? Great/fun person
to play with maybe, but great leader? No.

> Talking to one person in advance is not going to tell you it's going to
> be fun - unless you're precognitive or something Bradd.

Clearly the team leader has the most say in what the team will be doing
and how it will go. Is it foolproof? Of course not, but it's still the
best way to know what the team experience will be like.

> >I would expect a "non-committal" option to appear in the user interface
> >as something like, "Will consider teams, but /tell first."
>
> Looking for any, Comment: send a tell first.
> Not a big deal.
>
> You're either looking for a team of some flavor, or you're not.
> Not looking but will team, is NOT a valid option seems to be what
> Cryptic are saying - which makes your stance on the whole Blind Invite
> thing a bit moot.

How so? The default state is still the noncommittal one, the only thing
that has changed is that you are now listed as 'not seeking'. The
definition of 'not seeking' is not the same 'not willing', which you
seem to think it is.

Again, the fact that you can list and can invite people who are 'not
seeking' implies that the developers do not feel the way you do. If
their intent was 'not willing' they should have labeled it that and made
it impossible to invite anyone in that state.

They did add the ability to make it obvious when you don't want to team
though, put 'not teaming right now' in your comment field.

Zoiks!

Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Xocyll wrote...
>> "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> looked up from reading the
>> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>> say:

>> >By talking to the team leader, duh.
>>
>> How does the talking to the leader tell you how the team is going to
>> behave.
>
>Now you're just being dense.

NO, i'm just wondering how Bradd can tell he's going to have fun with a
TEAM by talking to ONE person.

>> I've been on teams with some great leaders that also had the ADD type
>> player that rushed off all the time and made the experience a real
>> chore.
>
><boggle> How is the person a 'great' leader if they can't either get
>the rogue player(s) in line or kick them off the team? Great/fun person
>to play with maybe, but great leader? No.

And sometimes you can't reign them in well, and sometimes it's a
taskforce so doing without isn't an option if they're a needed part to
complete the TF.

>> Talking to one person in advance is not going to tell you it's going to
>> be fun - unless you're precognitive or something Bradd.
>
>Clearly the team leader has the most say in what the team will be doing
>and how it will go. Is it foolproof? Of course not, but it's still the
>best way to know what the team experience will be like.

That's ridiculous.

>> >I would expect a "non-committal" option to appear in the user interface
>> >as something like, "Will consider teams, but /tell first."
>>
>> Looking for any, Comment: send a tell first.
>> Not a big deal.
>>
>> You're either looking for a team of some flavor, or you're not.
>> Not looking but will team, is NOT a valid option seems to be what
>> Cryptic are saying - which makes your stance on the whole Blind Invite
>> thing a bit moot.
>
>How so? The default state is still the noncommittal one, the only thing
>that has changed is that you are now listed as 'not seeking'. The
>definition of 'not seeking' is not the same 'not willing', which you
>seem to think it is.

The default state is NOT LOOKING, and the default lookup is ONLY LFT
FLAG ON.

These two things go together to imply that sending invites to people
with LFT off is BAD.

>Again, the fact that you can list and can invite people who are 'not
>seeking' implies that the developers do not feel the way you do. If
>their intent was 'not willing' they should have labeled it that and made
>it impossible to invite anyone in that state.
>
>They did add the ability to make it obvious when you don't want to team
>though, put 'not teaming right now' in your comment field.

Like that;'s going to stop the blind inviters.

You're making the totally unwarrented assumption that they CARE if you
want to team or not. They don't, they want AT X of level Y on their
team and you fit the bill.

Xocyll

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in

> You're making the totally unwarrented assumption that they CARE if
> you want to team or not. They don't, they want AT X of level Y on
> their team and you fit the bill.
>
> Xocyll

Was helping a friend transfer some influence between their toons today,
and someone blind invited my lvl 13 WarShade we were in Atlas, they
were in Boomtown.

So, I moved the invite over to the lower right, and continued trading
with my friend. Went and got the other toon, and was trading the stuff
with that one, when I get a tell:

"dude, you going to answer"

Since my frined and I were chatting while trading, when I went to
answer her questions, I accidently answered his question:

"nope"

Only after I did that, did I realize that it fit.

I left the invite window open and moved for the rest of the time I was
in trading with her.

J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> looked up from reading the entrails of

>Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in
>
>> You're making the totally unwarrented assumption that they CARE if
>> you want to team or not. They don't, they want AT X of level Y on
>> their team and you fit the bill.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>Was helping a friend transfer some influence between their toons today,
>and someone blind invited my lvl 13 WarShade we were in Atlas, they
>were in Boomtown.
>
>So, I moved the invite over to the lower right, and continued trading
>with my friend. Went and got the other toon, and was trading the stuff
>with that one, when I get a tell:
>
>"dude, you going to answer"

Funny how he can manage to send a tell AFTER the invite isn't it?

>Since my frined and I were chatting while trading, when I went to
>answer her questions, I accidently answered his question:
>
>"nope"
>
>Only after I did that, did I realize that it fit.
>
>I left the invite window open and moved for the rest of the time I was
>in trading with her.

Nice story.

Maybe he learned something.

Xocyll

Xocyll wrote:
> NO, i'm just wondering how Bradd can tell he's going to have fun with
> a TEAM by talking to ONE person.

Of course I can't know for certain whether it'll be fun, but at least I
can get a general idea by talking to the team leader. Good grief!
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Xocyll wrote...
> Zoiks! <zoiks@shaggy.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
> porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
> >Xocyll wrote...
> >> "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> looked up from reading the
> >> entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
> >> say:

> >> How does the talking to the leader tell you how the team is going to
> >> behave.
> >
> >Now you're just being dense.
>
> NO, i'm just wondering how Bradd can tell he's going to have fun with a
> TEAM by talking to ONE person.

Because by talking to the leader he can find out if the person has a
clue, has a clear like-minded goal, and/or has an idea how to make a
functional team. If he sends a simple tell saying 'What's the plan?'
and gets back 'Going to run missions level 34+' he can safely assume it
will be a better experience than if the response had been 'dunno',
'wanna team??' or 'need an sk??'.

Is it really so difficult for you to understand that talking to the
leader gives you a better idea of what the team experience will be like?

> >> I've been on teams with some great leaders that also had the ADD type
> >> player that rushed off all the time and made the experience a real
> >> chore.
> >
> ><boggle> How is the person a 'great' leader if they can't either get
> >the rogue player(s) in line or kick them off the team? Great/fun person
> >to play with maybe, but great leader? No.
>
> And sometimes you can't reign them in well, and sometimes it's a
> taskforce so doing without isn't an option if they're a needed part to
> complete the TF.

So the ability to control team members and recognize weak team members
before committing to long term projects isn't required for being a great
leader?

> >> Talking to one person in advance is not going to tell you it's going to
> >> be fun - unless you're precognitive or something Bradd.
> >
> >Clearly the team leader has the most say in what the team will be doing
> >and how it will go. Is it foolproof? Of course not, but it's still the
> >best way to know what the team experience will be like.
>
> That's ridiculous.

Please explain, how is it ridiculous?

> >> Looking for any, Comment: send a tell first.
> >> Not a big deal.
> >>
> >> You're either looking for a team of some flavor, or you're not.
> >> Not looking but will team, is NOT a valid option seems to be what
> >> Cryptic are saying - which makes your stance on the whole Blind Invite
> >> thing a bit moot.
> >
> >How so? The default state is still the noncommittal one, the only thing
> >that has changed is that you are now listed as 'not seeking'. The
> >definition of 'not seeking' is not the same 'not willing', which you
> >seem to think it is.
>
> The default state is NOT LOOKING, and the default lookup is ONLY LFT
> FLAG ON.
>
> These two things go together to imply that sending invites to people
> with LFT off is BAD.

I've addressed the label change to 'not seeking', but I'll admit it at
least gives me pause. The default setting argument, though, is
completely bogus. The logic is so flawed you might as well have said
the developers think it's bad because you say so. Do they also think
it's bad to use an AT, zone, or level range filter besides 'all'? Is it
wrong to enable the teleport prompt? Is the request channel inherently
evil and that's why it's not enabled by default?

And you're still ignoring the counter argument that you can list and
invite people regardless of lft or not. There would be no reason to
allow this if it really were 'BAD'.

> >Again, the fact that you can list and can invite people who are 'not
> >seeking' implies that the developers do not feel the way you do. If
> >their intent was 'not willing' they should have labeled it that and made
> >it impossible to invite anyone in that state.
> >
> >They did add the ability to make it obvious when you don't want to team
> >though, put 'not teaming right now' in your comment field.
>
> Like that;'s going to stop the blind inviters.
>
> You're making the totally unwarrented assumption that they CARE if you
> want to team or not. They don't, they want AT X of level Y on their
> team and you fit the bill.

<boggle> How silly of me. Clearly anyone who sends a blind invite is
just out to use me. There's no way they could possibly have the intent
of teaming for fun and experiencing content they can't access alone...

Well that's exactly what many of the blind invites I've received were
for. Seems to me you're the one making the unwarranted assumptions. Do
you ever even accept blind invites or talk to the inviter?

Zoiks!

J Anlee wrote:
> As I have said before, and will say again, Bradd is in my 'plonk' file
> so I don't see most of his comments on this machine that I am replying
> from currently.

You do realize that plonking and sniping from behind a killfile are both
poor etiquette, right?

> Xocyll, you might as well save your fingers, as Bradd is the ultimate
> of stupidity --

Even if that were true, how does it excuse his blatant attempt to put
words in my mouth? You may not take me seriously, but at least I'm
honest, unlike Xocyll.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd