Quake 3 Team Arena

Why dont more people play Team Arena - the mod with skulls to harvest, cool
powerups and different weapons? I cant even find any online servers in my
area to play it on.

Personally, it lacks the intencity of the original Q3 - but I thought that
was just moi..

Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

Miss Understanding wrote:

> Why dont more people play Team Arena - the mod with skulls to harvest, cool
> powerups and different weapons? I cant even find any online servers in my
> area to play it on.
>
> Personally, it lacks the intencity of the original Q3 - but I thought that
> was just moi..

Yeah, I was a big fan of Team Arena as well. Unfortunately, it was just
one of those things that never caught on. I'll never forget the first
time playing MPTERRA2 ...

You can still see a few specialized SCTA servers around, but regrettably
they tend to be a specialized form of Team Arena. They're fun in the
same way that Excessive mod was fun, but you can't take it too seriously.

Team Arena was a little less frenetic than Quake III due to the teamplay
and the team powerups, which moved things a little more towards strategy
than tactics, I agree -- but that's one of the things I liked about it.

--
Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
I can't remember to forget you.

Jim

Miss Understanding wrote:
> Why dont more people play Team Arena - the mod with skulls to
> harvest, cool powerups and different weapons? I cant even find any
> online servers in my area to play it on.
>
> Personally, it lacks the intencity of the original Q3 - but I thought
> that was just moi..

Unfortunately ID decided to charge for team arena which alot of q3'ers
didn't like as it was viewed as a mod by most,personnelly i bought TA and
liked it as it was a breathe of fresh air into a stale game at the time.New
maps,game types etc but it just never caught on which was sad,i liked 1 flag
ctf best my self.
Q3 was never the same after its release i think because the point
releases were messed up and servers didnt get upgraded at the same time
which fragmented an already dwindling community,still has today in uk with
more people playing 131 and 130 servers still but thats because they can
play q3 for free with not needing a working cd key

I love the nail shotgun(if that is it's name). The best gun in Quake
universe:) Just love tha sound when it hits the target...ding, ding, ding,
splat...:D

Profil1 wrote:

> I love the nail shotgun(if that is it's name). The best gun in Quake
> universe:) Just love tha sound when it hits the target...ding, ding, ding,
> splat...:D

It was the nailgun.

--
Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
Even paranoids have real enemies.

"Erik Max Francis" <max@alcyone.com> wrote in message
> Profil1 wrote:
>
>> I love the nail shotgun(if that is it's name). The best gun in Quake
>> universe:) Just love tha sound when it hits the target...ding, ding,
>> ding, splat...:D
>
> It was the nailgun.

Common usage name :) They named it the Perforator and Super Perforator.
Nailgun works tho!
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> Common usage name :) They named it the Perforator and Super Perforator.
> Nailgun works tho!

The Quake III: Team Arena manual refers to it as the "Nailgun." Doesn't
get much more official than that.

--
Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
You cannot step into the same river once.

"Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Why dont more people play Team Arena - the mod with skulls to harvest,
> cool
> powerups and different weapons? I cant even find any online servers in my
> area to play it on.
>
> Personally, it lacks the intencity of the original Q3 - but I thought that
> was just moi..

> Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

I never liked Team Arena because of proximity grenades. Too bad, because the
rest of the mod was pretty good.

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

I am surprised that no one mentioned the ability to record a game and then
play it back in movie mode. This aspect of TA really grabbed me, as i I had
always wanted to be able to record the games and then play them back from
different angles. I love close games..

JIM WROTE =
"Q3 was never the same after its release i think because the point
releases were messed up and servers didnt get upgraded at the same time
which fragmented an already dwindling community,still has today in uk with
more people playing 131 and 130 servers still but thats because they can
play q3 for free with not needing a working cd key "

This explains why there are still 130 servers here in Aus too.. Thanks -

> McGrandpa wrote:
>
>> Common usage name :) They named it the Perforator and Super
>> Perforator. Nailgun works tho!
>
> The Quake III: Team Arena manual refers to it as the "Nailgun."
> Doesn't get much more official than that.

Except they 'borrowed' it from Quake :)
McG.

Baked

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:27:01 +1000, "Miss Understanding" <merliina_x@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I am surprised that no one mentioned the ability to record a game and then
>play it back in movie mode. This aspect of TA really grabbed me, as i I had
>always wanted to be able to record the games and then play them back from
>different angles. I love close games..

Demo recording is different in TA than VQ3 in what way?

"Baked" <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:27:01 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
<merliina_x@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am surprised that no one mentioned the ability to record a game and
then
> >play it back in movie mode. This aspect of TA really grabbed me, as i I
had
> >always wanted to be able to record the games and then play them back from
> >different angles. I love close games..
>
> Demo recording is different in TA than VQ3 in what way?

Ergh.. you can record in Q3? Damn...
In TA you can choose to record a game of each map played - and play any of
them back when ever you choose - and from different perspectives. Someone
else will have to fill me in about Q3's abilities.

Miss Understanding wrote:

> Ergh.. you can record in Q3? Damn...
> In TA you can choose to record a game of each map played - and play any of
> them back when ever you choose - and from different perspectives. Someone
> else will have to fill me in about Q3's abilities.

Well, Team Arena is just a mission pack; it's the same upgraded binary.
So it's highly likely that if TA included new core functionality in
the engine, it's available in Quake III and any other such mod, as long
as you're using a version of the main binary since Team Arena was released.

--
Erik Max Francis && max@alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
Life imitates art far more than art imitates life.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:46:13 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
<merliina_x@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Baked" <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 15:27:01 +1000, "Miss Understanding"
><merliina_x@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I am surprised that no one mentioned the ability to record a game and
>then
>> >play it back in movie mode. This aspect of TA really grabbed me, as i I
>had
>> >always wanted to be able to record the games and then play them back from
>> >different angles. I love close games..
>>
>> Demo recording is different in TA than VQ3 in what way?
>
>Ergh.. you can record in Q3? Damn...
>In TA you can choose to record a game of each map played - and play any of
>them back when ever you choose - and from different perspectives. Someone
>else will have to fill me in about Q3's abilities.

Theres a how to make a demo help page on my webby www.havoc6.com HTH

sittingduck

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2003

Miss Understanding wrote:

> Ergh.. you can record in Q3? Damn...
> In TA you can choose to record a game of each map played - and play any of
> them back when ever you choose - and from different perspectives. Someone
> else will have to fill me in about Q3's abilities.
save the text below in baseq3 as demo.cfg, and exec it in the console thusly: /exec demo.cfg
The Insert key will start and stop your demo recording.

// Script - Quick Record
bind ins vstr demotoggle
set startdemo "g_synchronousClients 1;vstr demonumber;g_synchronousClients 0; set demotoggle vstr stopdemo"
set stopdemo "stoprecord; vstr democycle; set demotoggle vstr startdemo"
set demo_1 "record demo_1; set demonumber vstr demo_2"
set demo_2 "record demo_2; set demonumber vstr demo_3"
set demo_3 "record demo_3; set demonumber vstr demo_4"
set demo_4 "record demo_4; set demonumber vstr demo_5"
set demo_5 "record demo_5; set demonumber vstr demo_6"
set demo_6 "record demo_6; set demonumber vstr demo_7"
set demo_7 "record demo_7; set demonumber vstr demo_8"
set demo_8 "record demo_8; set demonumber vstr demo_9"
set demo_9 "record demo_9; set demonumber vstr demo_10"
set demo_10 "record demo_10; set demonumber vstr demo_11"
set demo_11 "record demo_11; set demonumber vstr demo_12"
set demo_12 "record demo_12; set demonumber vstr demo_13"
set demo_13 "record demo_13; set demonumber vstr demo_14"
set demo_14 "record demo_14; set demonumber vstr demo_15"
set demo_15 "record demo_15; set demonumber vstr demo_16"
set demo_16 "record demo_16; set demonumber vstr demo_17"
set demo_17 "record demo_17; set demonumber vstr demo_18"
set demo_18 "record demo_18; set demonumber vstr demo_19"
set demo_19 "record demo_19; set demonumber vstr demo_20; echo ^1ONE DEMO LEFT! CYCLE ABOUT TO FLIP!"
set demo_20 "record demo_20; set demonumber vstr demo_1"
set demonumber vstr demo_1
set demotoggle vstr startdemo

<snip>

> Theres a how to make a demo help page on my webby www.havoc6.com HTH

Nice site indeed! I could have used this a year ago - thanks Havoc6!

"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> Miss Understanding wrote:
>
> > Ergh.. you can record in Q3? Damn...
> > In TA you can choose to record a game of each map played - and play any
of
> > them back when ever you choose - and from different perspectives.
Someone
> > else will have to fill me in about Q3's abilities.
> save the text below in baseq3 as demo.cfg, and exec it in the console
thusly: /exec demo.cfg
> The Insert key will start and stop your demo recording.

<snip>

Cheers Sittingduck. I will try this in a few mins to see how it goes.

Blessed are the geek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

"sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> Miss Understanding wrote:
>
> > Ergh.. you can record in Q3? Damn...
> > In TA you can choose to record a game of each map played - and play any
of
> > them back when ever you choose - and from different perspectives.
Someone
> > else will have to fill me in about Q3's abilities.
> save the text below in baseq3 as demo.cfg, and exec it in the console
thusly: /exec demo.cfg
> The Insert key will start and stop your demo recording.
<snip>

Cheers! - that worked a treat. Thanks again!

Miss Understanding wrote:

> Cheers! - that worked a treat. Thanks again!

:)

now if you want to get real tricky, you can use a script for playback... lets
you pause, FF, or SLO-MO.

save as demoplay.cfg, exec it when you wish to use it. Your numberpad is the
controller.

set demopause "cl_freezedemo 1"
set slow "cl_freezedemo 0;timescale .5;echo Slow"
set normal "cl_freezedemo 0;;timescale 1;echo Normal"
set ff "cl_freezedemo 0;timescale 2;echo Fast Forward"
set ff+ "cl_freezedemo 0;timescale 3;echo Hi-Speed Fast Forward"
bind kp_5 "vstr demopause"
bind kp_leftarrow "vstr slow"
bind kp_home "vstr normal"
bind kp_uparrow "vstr ff"
bind kp_rightarrow "vstr ff+"

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:53:30 GMT, sittingduck
<spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

>Miss Understanding wrote:
>
>> Cheers! - that worked a treat. Thanks again!
>
>:)
>
>now if you want to get real tricky, you can use a script for playback... lets
>you pause, FF, or SLO-MO.

or use seismovision http://www.planetquake3.net/seismovision/ which
also doubles up as a version swapper for different servers

Baked

wrote:

>In TA you can choose to record a game of each map played - and play any of
>them back when ever you choose - and from different perspectives.

No, you cant see other people's perspective unless you are recording the demo as
a spectator and follow different people around.