Windows xp file corruption

I am running win xp 2nd ed and after hanging up on sut down (video card
driver error) I now have a big problem - when trying to use or upgrade media
player9 I get this error message - "Windows Media Technologies" is
incompatable with this os version. **How do I "upgrade" or "restore" my
windows media technologies program file?
7 answers Last reply
More about windows file corruption

    Windows XP does not have a 2nd edition.
    If you are using Windows XP you will have to install SP2 in order to
    download &/or upgrade to WMP10.
    You can reinstall WMP9 here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx

    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    "Ed Baker" <EdBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I am running win xp 2nd ed and after hanging up on sut down (video card
    driver error) I now have a big problem - when trying to use or upgrade media
    player9 I get this error message - "Windows Media Technologies" is
    incompatable with this os version. **How do I "upgrade" or "restore" my
    windows media technologies program file?

    Excuse me for being a tad inaccurate - I am running windows xp with "service
    pack 2" installed for any other anal readers.

    IN ADDITION you did not read the problem in your rush to try to make me look
    naive.

    So, I stand corrected about the version's corect name. But, at least I can
    read and understand english and would not make such a nonsensical response as
    yours.... You would see that your "solution" is wrong if you had bothered to
    try to comprehend my first post.

    A future reply from "River_Rat" (how adult-like) is not welcome.

    "River_Rat" wrote:

    > Windows XP does not have a 2nd edition.
    > If you are using Windows XP you will have to install SP2 in order to
    > download &/or upgrade to WMP10.
    > You can reinstall WMP9 here.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Ed Baker" <EdBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running win xp 2nd ed and after hanging up on sut down (video card
    > driver error) I now have a big problem - when trying to use or upgrade media
    > player9 I get this error message - "Windows Media Technologies" is
    > incompatable with this os version. **How do I "upgrade" or "restore" my
    > windows media technologies program file?

    Problem solved. - found the solution with a Google search - I lost a file
    from the windows system folder, just needed to copy a back up into the same
    place. (no need to reinstall media player). Works great.

    "Ed Baker" wrote:

    > I am running win xp 2nd ed and after hanging up on sut down (video card
    > driver error) I now have a big problem - when trying to use or upgrade media
    > player9 I get this error message - "Windows Media Technologies" is
    > incompatable with this os version. **How do I "upgrade" or "restore" my
    > windows media technologies program file?

    Ed:
    I was not trying to make you look naive, stupid, &/or unknowledable. (you
    are doing that all by yourself)
    With the information you supplied about your OS I could only offer assume
    you were trying to upgrade the WMP program.
    I guess I should have ask you to clarify your situation, OS, & WMP version.
    With the may Windows OS's and builds they do not make 1 fix for all
    problems.
    Sorry to be of no help.

    --

    "River_Rat" wrote:

    > Windows XP does not have a 2nd edition.
    > If you are using Windows XP you will have to install SP2 in order to
    > download &/or upgrade to WMP10.
    > You can reinstall WMP9 here.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Ed Baker" <EdBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am running win xp 2nd ed and after hanging up on sut down (video card
    > driver error) I now have a big problem - when trying to use or upgrade
    > media
    > player9 I get this error message - "Windows Media Technologies" is
    > incompatable with this os version. **How do I "upgrade" or "restore" my
    > windows media technologies program file?

    Sorry,

    I do not think I made my self look any of those. So, I typed something about
    an os that was not "exact" enough for you. YOU did not even read the problem,
    you just "assumed" something - even though information to the contrary was
    right in front of you. You could have read that I was NOT trying to upgrade
    WMP. Did you read my reply? I do not expect nor need a reply from a person
    whom tries to help with inane suggestions that are not even related to the
    question.

    "River_Rat" wrote:

    > Ed:
    > I was not trying to make you look naive, stupid, &/or unknowledable. (you
    > are doing that all by yourself)
    > With the information you supplied about your OS I could only offer assume
    > you were trying to upgrade the WMP program.
    > I guess I should have ask you to clarify your situation, OS, & WMP version.
    > With the may Windows OS's and builds they do not make 1 fix for all
    > problems.
    > Sorry to be of no help.
    >
    > --
    > Good Day
    > River Rat
    >

    > "Ed Baker" <EdBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Excuse me for being a tad inaccurate - I am running windows xp with "service
    > pack 2" installed for any other anal readers.
    >
    > IN ADDITION you did not read the problem in your rush to try to make me look
    > naive.
    >
    > So, I stand corrected about the version's corect name. But, at least I can
    > read and understand english and would not make such a nonsensical response
    > as
    > yours.... You would see that your "solution" is wrong if you had bothered to
    > try to comprehend my first post.
    >
    > A future reply from "River_Rat" (how adult-like) is not welcome.
    >
    > "River_Rat" wrote:
    >
    > > Windows XP does not have a 2nd edition.
    > > If you are using Windows XP you will have to install SP2 in order to
    > > download &/or upgrade to WMP10.
    > > You can reinstall WMP9 here.
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx
    > >
    > > --
    > > Good Day
    > > River Rat
    > >

    > > "Ed Baker" <EdBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am running win xp 2nd ed and after hanging up on sut down (video card
    > > driver error) I now have a big problem - when trying to use or upgrade
    > > media
    > > player9 I get this error message - "Windows Media Technologies" is
    > > incompatable with this os version. **How do I "upgrade" or "restore" my
    > > windows media technologies program file?

    Navigate to C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 find the 'wmploc.dll' file,
    then exchange (overwrite) with the one in C:\Windows\System32 OR extract it
    from the XP cd... then try to upgrade to 10 or reinstall 9 if you get the
    same error.

    --
    ~*Kim*~

    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

    "Ed Baker" <EdBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running win xp 2nd ed and after hanging up on sut down (video card
    > driver error) I now have a big problem - when trying to use or upgrade
    > media
    > player9 I get this error message - "Windows Media Technologies" is
    > incompatable with this os version. **How do I "upgrade" or "restore" my
    > windows media technologies program file?

    To follow my own post, I should note if you extract from the cd the file
    name there is 'wmploc.dl_'

    ~*Kim*~

    MCP/MCSA/MCSE
    The Canadian DOS Prompt: EH?\>

    "Ed Baker" <EdBaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running win xp 2nd ed and after hanging up on sut down (video card
    > driver error) I now have a big problem - when trying to use or upgrade
    > media
    > player9 I get this error message - "Windows Media Technologies" is
    > incompatable with this os version. **How do I "upgrade" or "restore" my
    > windows media technologies program file?

Microsoft Windows XP