use net 1 time and then no more

I had 98SE and had my OS upgraded to XP Pro by a upgrade CD, supposedly by a
clean install. Ever since then, I can only access the internet 1 time.
After that, it will give me a sign in server error. If I reboot, I can
access 1 time and then no more until a reboot. This has done it with MSN 9.
After that, I loaded PeoplePC
with the same results except the error was that it could not find the
server. Both programs will dial the proper numbers, connect to the net, but
not sign
in.

QT

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004

When you say you "had rmy OS upgraded to XP Pro by a upgrade CD", do you
mean that someone else installed it for you?
Are you not sure if it was a clean install?

"ScttLee" <ScttLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had 98SE and had my OS upgraded to XP Pro by a upgrade CD, supposedly by
> clean install. Ever since then, I can only access the internet 1 time.
> After that, it will give me a sign in server error. If I reboot, I can
> access 1 time and then no more until a reboot. This has done it with MSN
> 9.
> After that, I loaded PeoplePC
> with the same results except the error was that it could not find the
> server. Both programs will dial the proper numbers, connect to the net,
> but
> not sign
> in.

I was having multiple errors, and the local computer store/repair shop
decided that the 98SE was corrupted and recommended a clean install. Since
someone had sent me a new XP pro Upgrade CD as a gift, I had them check out
if my computer would work ok with XP pro. It would, and they "said" they did
a clean istall. But since I was not there, I have to take their word for it.

"QT" wrote:

> When you say you "had rmy OS upgraded to XP Pro by a upgrade CD", do you
> mean that someone else installed it for you?
> Are you not sure if it was a clean install?
>
> "ScttLee" <ScttLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had 98SE and had my OS upgraded to XP Pro by a upgrade CD, supposedly by
> > clean install. Ever since then, I can only access the internet 1 time.
> > After that, it will give me a sign in server error. If I reboot, I can
> > access 1 time and then no more until a reboot. This has done it with MSN
> > 9.
> > After that, I loaded PeoplePC
> > with the same results except the error was that it could not find the
> > server. Both programs will dial the proper numbers, connect to the net,
> > but
> > not sign
> > in.

QT

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2004

First of all,I'm not sure of your knowledge so don't get offended, if it was
a clean install you have none of your old doc's, files etc from your
reinstalled them for you.
What I'm getting at is just reinstall windows xp again if it's not a big
hassle for you.
Secondly, if the computer shop did it for you then take it back and tell
them to fix it, you paid for it.

>I was having multiple errors, and the local computer store/repair shop
> decided that the 98SE was corrupted and recommended a clean install.
> Since
> someone had sent me a new XP pro Upgrade CD as a gift, I had them check
> out
> if my computer would work ok with XP pro. It would, and they "said" they
> did
> a clean istall. But since I was not there, I have to take their word for
> it.
>
> "QT" wrote:
>
>> When you say you "had rmy OS upgraded to XP Pro by a upgrade CD", do you
>> mean that someone else installed it for you?
>> Are you not sure if it was a clean install?
>>
>> "ScttLee" <ScttLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I had 98SE and had my OS upgraded to XP Pro by a upgrade CD, supposedly
>> >by
>> > clean install. Ever since then, I can only access the internet 1 time.
>> > After that, it will give me a sign in server error. If I reboot, I can
>> > access 1 time and then no more until a reboot. This has done it with
>> > MSN
>> > 9.
>> > After that, I loaded PeoplePC
>> > with the same results except the error was that it could not find the
>> > server. Both programs will dial the proper numbers, connect to the net,
>> > but
>> > not sign
>> > in.

I took it back, and they tried several things. Different modems and check
software. They found that it as long as I did not have an accelorator
installed, everything worked fine. Once the accelorator is install, all the
problems start again. Their recommendation is to not use an accelorator.

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:58:03 -0700, ScttLee wrote:

> I took it back, and they tried several things. Different modems and check
> software. They found that it as long as I did not have an accelorator
> installed, everything worked fine. Once the accelorator is install, all the
> problems start again. Their recommendation is to not use an accelorator.

Interesting. Those are quite popular with the dialup ISPs these days and,
going by what's been posted in these groups, seem to be causing a wide
variety of problems.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User