XP screen resize button not working

Rozmund

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
In XP and Firefox Browser, was changing screen resolution sizes to control
the desktop icon size - have an 17" monitor and set resolution size to 1152x864 - but now the middle button on top right corner of screen will not
not revert back to the double square allowing me to minimize my window - it
seems to be stuck in Maximum size so I have to reduce the screen with the
cursor, otherwise I loose everything above the Function Bar of File, Edit, View,
History, Bookmarks, etc. I tried lowering the resolution, but that did not seem
to work either...also when I click on this middel button between _ and X - it
enlarges beyond my screen size and I cannot scroll.

What do I do. Thanks.

Solution
If you use IE 8, it has a zoom setting right at the bottom of the screen for easier reading of webpages. The DPI setting (under display settings, advanced) will make your desktop icons and text appear larger.

Rozmund

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Zoron, thank you, yes- the monitor is a Phillips - actually 18.6" I find now after finding the specifications
and trying to do an auto reset, a small prompt box came up telling me that 1440x900x60hz was
the best resolution - so I went into XP Windows display properties and made that change.

Everything was restored beautifully after that, vertical scroll bar, top title bar, and the restore down button in
the top right hand corner....HOWEVER - the reason I have not responded is I am having trouble with
icon sizes, way too small for my ancient eyes, and as well - the print on many sites is very tiny, and I cannot seem to set my font size options in Firefox/Thunderbird/Mozilla tools to where they were, which was rather automatic - I don't know how I did it orginally, so I have been playing around with that....

While I am in research mode mentally, I do save a lot of pages on my destop, review, discard, etc. then place into folders, then move them to an external hard drive for easy retrieval and safety .

I am first a caregiver, quite a full time job, and second a researcher in alternative health ...so I find all this fiddling around on the system quite labourious - when I need to print off data, which is by the hundreds of pages, I need to know that whole sentences will be mirrored on the physical page, as I see it on the screen...this does not always happen especially if I force the font to be larger so the article can be read and photocopied properly.

I know this has turned out to be a larger inquiry than I had originally planned on and I do appreciate and thank you for your kind attention. Don't give up on me. I like your site...its simplicity in format - very clean looking - and your attentiveness of your team.

I do not know where to find the DPI option - and does only change the icons on the desktop, or also the tiny ones within the browser?

Best, Roz

If you use IE 8, it has a zoom setting right at the bottom of the screen for easier reading of webpages. The DPI setting (under display settings, advanced) will make your desktop icons and text appear larger.

Solution

Rozmund

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

Rozmund

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I use Firefox, wish they had this particular IE 8 feature, however, I did go into display settings, advanced as you suggested and all it fine now. Thanks for your help....