Rustooka

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I have tried numerous times to download windows live essentials with out success. The download stops after about 74% completed and all the items are rolled back. When I check, I have the error " cabinet file, wlc.cab is corrupt and cannot be used (hrOx80070643) Every other update I have installed has not been a problem so I doubt it is a firewall issue. I have restored the computor files with no change. Is there a way to repair the corrupted file or replace it. I have Windows Vista Home Premium as my operating system and there is ample memory available for the down load. I purchased a webcam and cannot use it without this program.

Pls help?

Rustooka

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

I followed your advice and the instructions in article 958052 to create the logs. When I tried to run it, I got a message saying "cannot import C:Users/Don/Desktop/LoggingOn.reg The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

I also removed the logging instruction as per the instructions.

Obviously, no log was created. Anything else I can try?

Rustooka

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

tried the family link but could find no answers--have contacted microsoft support for help--will advise on results.

Thanks for your time and effort--I hope they can resolve the issue!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hope they can provide a solution. Yes, be sure to let us know the outcome!

One last thing though... I never asked you what version of Vista you are running. If it is the 64-bit version, then the installer may not be compatible and you need to follow the advice in this link: http://www.techspot.com/blog/129/how-to-run-windows-live-messenger-on-windows-xp-x64/

Rustooka

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

Update: problem has been resolved but I don't know how. I tried uninstalling programs, turning off protection to the computer, and many fixes recommended by microsoft and others. I had 4 Windows Updates to be installed as follows:

update to windows mail junk e-mail filter KB 905866
security update for windows vista KB 978542
windows malicious software removal tool KB 890830
security update for microsoft office 2003 KB 976382

I successfully installed them but still had "live essentials" which I still had not been able to install. I gave it another try and was successfull. I can only guess the new updates corrected the problem as I had tried to install "live essentials six times the day before and couldn't.

My thanks to those who offered assistance and if anyone knows why this worked pls advise. It drove me nuts for a long time!