THG CPU chart updated (sort of)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I havent looked in awhile, but upon checking today found the QX6700 and FX74 included in the line up. Interesting comparisons.

Its kind of curious. THG has what looks to be every Pentium 4 ever concieved in there, but they still dont have a E6300, any of the XX20's or th 4XXXs.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Sure is a travesty. I complained back in November about no E6300 processors on their tested processor list to Tom's. Looks like they don't have enough money to buy one for themselves or just don't care. I'm going for just don't care.

Nor do they have any of the latest BE AMD processors. I'm betting they are just going to let this comparison chart wither and die rather than update it with all of the latest processors from Intel and AMD.

bkiserx7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Sure is a travesty. I complained back in November about no E6300 processors on their tested processor list to Tom's. Looks like they don't have enough money to buy one for themselves or just don't care. I'm going for just don't care.

Nor do they have any of the latest BE AMD processors. I'm betting they are just going to let this comparison chart wither and die rather than update it with all of the latest processors from Intel and AMD.

If everyone helps fund me, I'll be more than happy to do it :wink:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Its suprising that they would have the later QX6700 though, and not any of the prior C2Ds, or the BEs as you point out, though I dont know if any of the BEs have made it to the channel yet. Rumours were that they were all going to the OEMs, and looking through pricegrabber, I didnt see any offered.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
THG doesn't buy much stuff, they have a great number of staff to support on limitted ad revenue.

You should suggest they test the 6400 at 7x to get 6300 scores.

Holy crap Batman.....a visit from the Crashman himself! Havent seen you haunting these-here parts in ages.

The money issue is why I find it suprising. By the CPU charts, it would appear THG had the money for QFX and C2Q systems. But not the bargain basement CPU from Intel?

Seems like there's a lot of hardware slipping through the cracks these days, and its sad to see. I know there is that much more hardware being produced in these times, and THG cant get to it all, not only because of money but because of the sheer volume as well, but its been almost a year and you would have expected they would have got to the initial C2D entry level CPU by now.

You have some.....err.....'influence'. How about it...less cell phone and automobile reviews and a few more CPUs for the charts? :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cell phones and Core 2 Quads are free! Intel isn't anxious to feature its low-cost processors on a high-end site.

The only way you'll likely find a low-end Intel CPU featured in THG is if a writer "brings his own".

Edit: Thinking back, I remember hearing that Intel would not be sampling any E4300's to reviewers. The same may be true of the E6300. I know of another site that got one by mistake: It was marked E6400.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I would expect that Intel has or very soon will release samples to the tech sites so they can do their reviews. If those parts release on July 22nd then they should be going to the reviewers real soon.

It seems that Intel gives the reviewers anywere from a week to 3 weeks to review new products before the NDA expires. The NDA usually expires a week or 2 prior to a products launch.

I'm wondering if Intel is going to launch a Desktop 1600 FSB part prior to the Wolfdale or Yorkfield launch.

It has already been reported that there will be Xeon parts that will be sold with a 1600 FSB. So, if the yield is good enough I bet the next high end desktop processor could have a 1600 FSB.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
That really irritates me to no end too. If they can take the trusty old Radeon 9800 Pro off the interactive VGA charts, then they can take the old Prescotts off the CPU charts.

Only the remaining Smithfields and Presslers bundled with ECS Via chipset boards at Fry's should be on the Tom's hardware charts! :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Loads of readers still own Prescott systems and would like to know what performance increase they can expect from an upgrade. If you take their CPU's off the charts, how can they compare?

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Take them off the interactive charts and put them in the legacy charts just like the Radeon 9800 Pro. That way, to find out how a Prescott compares to an old socket 939 Athlon X2 3800+ or a Smithfield 805, all you'd have to do is go to the chart that includes Prescotts. Then, have the Pentium D's on the interactive charts to compare them with newer CPUs

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Loads of readers still own Prescott systems and would like to know what performance increase they can expect from an upgrade. If you take their CPU's off the charts, how can they compare?

Well, maybe some of the older stuff could migrate over to "the mother of all CPU charts". That was really a superlative bit of work, but its cumbersome to locate these days. In fact, its tucked away so deep that the newer folks just dont know it exists. It would be nice to have an obvious link to it, pehaps placed in the interactive charts labeled "older" processors or something along those lines. Hell, there are still people considering socket A upgrades, or wanting to know how 939/AM2 CPUs compare to socket A stuff, and thats about the only place here to find socket A benchmarks for comparison

That chart appears to have taken a lot of effort...you guys shouldnt keep all that hard work buried. :wink: