Sign in with
Your question

How to enable Classic Shut Down (XP-Style) in Vista?

Last response: in Windows Vista
Anonymous
April 23, 2010 6:47:51 AM

Hi

In WinXP you can shut down the system with 3 clicks:
- Start --> Shut Down... --> Box with 3 buttons.

In Vista you need 5 clicks, amidst them a stupid dropdown where you have to pick very carefully.

Is there a way to have WinXP like shut down in Vista too?
April 23, 2010 6:53:34 AM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Change...

Try classic view.

The classic view of Start menu is based on previous version of Windows.

1.Open Taskbar and Start Menu Properties by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Taskbar and Start Menu.

2.Click the Start Menu tab, click Classic Start menu, and then click OK.
Anonymous
April 23, 2010 2:57:47 PM

Thanks Badge - but sorry, this only changes the Start Menu and not the modal box, that does the Shut Down Windows!
Related resources
April 23, 2010 4:56:05 PM

Quote:
In Vista you need 5 clicks, amidst them a stupid dropdown where you have to pick very carefully.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have used Vista since BETA 1. So has my family. Shutting the system down is anything but complicated.
April 26, 2010 12:02:18 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have used Vista since BETA 1. So has my family. Shutting the system down is anything but complicated.

I never said it is complicated. It's just by far less practical as in WinXP:

VISTA (I think that is the same, as we used to have it in the unholy Win ME too...)
Start -> shut down... -> Combobox (1 click to open drop down, search in the list, 1 click to select) -> OK ==> 5 clicks

WinXP
Start -> Turn Off Computer... -> 3 Buttons (Stanby|Turn Off|Restart) ==> only 3 clicks & no Combobox!
!