Problems with ICONs on desktop after RESTORING user settings

June 18, 2005 5:54:03 PM

I just reinstalled winXP pro and restored previous settings and files from a
file successfully, except for two icons on my desktop. The recycle bin and
the 'mydocuments' folder icons show as an unknown file. The links still work.

How do i restore the proper icons to these?
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:11:31 PM

KevinMGood wrote:
> I just reinstalled winXP pro and restored previous settings
> and files from a file successfully, except for two icons on
> my desktop. The recycle bin and the 'mydocuments' folder
> icons show as an unknown file. The links still work.
>
> How do i restore the proper icons to these?

You might want to try the following:
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Display.
Click on the Desktop tab.
Click on the "Customize Desktop" button.
Click on the "Restore Defaults" button.

If that doens't work you might try downloading TweakUI from
this location:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

Here's the direct download link:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9...

Once installed, go to Start -> All Programs -> Powertoys for
Windows XP and run the program.
Click on Repair -> Rebuild Icons.

You can also go to this web site and download the registry fix
on the left hand side of line 175:

Nepatsfan
!