Problems with ICONs on desktop after RESTORING user settings

I just reinstalled winXP pro and restored previous settings and files from a
file successfully, except for two icons on my desktop. The recycle bin and
the 'mydocuments' folder icons show as an unknown file. The links still work.

How do i restore the proper icons to these?
1 answer Last reply
More about problems icons desktop restoring user settings

    KevinMGood wrote:
    > I just reinstalled winXP pro and restored previous settings
    > and files from a file successfully, except for two icons on
    > my desktop. The recycle bin and the 'mydocuments' folder
    > icons show as an unknown file. The links still work.
    >
    > How do i restore the proper icons to these?

    You might want to try the following:
    Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Display.
    Click on the Desktop tab.
    Click on the "Customize Desktop" button.
    Click on the "Restore Defaults" button.

    If that doens't work you might try downloading TweakUI from
    this location:

    Here's the direct download link:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    Once installed, go to Start -> All Programs -> Powertoys for
    Windows XP and run the program.
    Click on Repair -> Rebuild Icons.

    You can also go to this web site and download the registry fix
    on the left hand side of line 175:

    Nepatsfan

Desktops Microsoft Icons Windows XP