Processor underclocked

charliehustle

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
hi i have a dell computer with a Intel Pendleton D845PT motherboard and a pentium 4 2.4ghz with 1 gig ram and when i check my bios it only says 1.8ghz, so im assuming its underclocked, and when i go to bios it doesnt seem to let me change anything, so what should i do?

Pinoy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
My friends HP had a similar issue. There was an option in the power option category in the control panel that allowed underclocking the cpu to save power, try checking there.Think it was called green mode or something to that nature, don't remember exactly.

please post a screen of cpu-z maybe your fsb(or multi if they have some kind of speed step) is wrong. This can happen if the battery on your board dies. Do you ever get a message on post about defaults or c-mos checksum?

charliehustle

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007

jonisginger

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
A) Its a bloody you can't change anything muahahahahahaa
B) Download Prime95 and run it, THEN load CPU-Z. Then look at speed again

Hope that helps

Your front side bus is 100(400 as intel called it) its supposed to be 133(533).

So now heres the problem. Did that chipset ever support 133? i will have to look into it.

EDIT
It looks like the chipset was never made for FSB 133(533). Many desktop boards could run it(maybe they made a revision, or just over clocked it?).

Is it possible that you have been running this way all along?

Either way go into the bios and see if you can increase the FSB from 100 to 133 or 400 to 533 however they call it. If you do this make sure that if there is an option for PCI/AGP locks it is ON.

mrmez

Splendid
DOOD U GOT A DELL!
:?
sry

ASAIK, P4's didnt have speedstep or equiv, and i have NO exp with propriatry systems like dell/HP.

As poster said... mobo MAY only support 100fsb.
U can always call dell and 'COMPLAIN LOUDLY!'

Google ur mobo if u can. Crack the case open and pull a model # off if u need to.

charliehustle

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
yea im pretty sure my mobo only supports up to 400mhz possibly and the card is most like 533mhz the only thing is when i go into bios it seems that i cant change any settings like that, as a matter of fact i dont see the word fsb anywhere, could be that my bios needs to be updated cuz its only at AO2

one_dollar

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Na I'm pretty sure that dells lock out almost everything coz they dont want you to make the pc run faster they want you to buy a new one.

charliehustle

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
most dells are able to do it i believe so its either my bios is old or something else?
If you can't change the FSB, then you could get a new mobo cheap that will run 533. I believe the new Dell power supplies are wired as per industry standard, but you should still verify that. Make sure the mobo that you get matches the existing one ATX or BTX.

yea i have a new mobo in mind because this 2.4ghz p4 actually came out of another computer but the weird that was when i used cpu-z to find out the name and model of the motherboard it was blank, so im not sure if its ATX or BTX

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
most dells are able to do it i believe so its either my bios is old or something else?
If you can't change the FSB, then you could get a new mobo cheap that will run 533. I believe the new Dell power supplies are wired as per industry standard, but you should still verify that. Make sure the mobo that you get matches the existing one ATX or BTX.

yea i have a new mobo in mind because this 2.4ghz p4 actually came out of another computer but the weird that was when i used cpu-z to find out the name and model of the motherboard it was blank, so im not sure if its ATX or BTXI believe a quick way to tell is by looking at which side of the case you open. Looking at the front of the case, if the cover is on the left it is ATX, if the cover is on the right it is BTX.

Edit: Duh, I forgot about the Dell clam shell cases. Look at the Board if the integrated I/O connectors are on the left it is ATX. If they are on the right it a BTX. You only need to be concerned if you were buying a new mobo. If you can't install the other mobo then it is the wrong form factor. It will be painfully obvious.

charliehustle

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
yea i think im just gonna install the new mobo that the 2.4 p4 came out of, im just trying to find out what the mobo is called, just for other backrounds checks like agp slots and what not because i dont think the computer is a dell that the 2.4 came out of its just a mobo in a bought case

charliehustle

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
aight well i put it back in the mobo it came with and now its saying the processor speed is 1.9 but before i took it out of the mobo it was 2.4, so its no longer in a dell mobo but i cant figure out what this mobo is called, but anyways what do you guys think i should do now

one_dollar

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Use superpi to load the cpu and WHILE ITS BEING LOADED use cpu-z to check the speed. If it goes up to ~2.4 then speedstep or equivalent is the "problem".

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
1. the bios on the original dell mb probably needs to be updated. it might unlock the 533 fsb you need. I don't know what's wrong with the other mb, check the bios and make sure it's set to 533 too.

2. BTX? come on. BTX wasn't around when that computer was made. it's about 4 years old. same goes with eist, it likely wasn't even introduced in laptops yet, the centrinos are about 4 years old now if memory serves, let alone desktops. come on guys, think here.